#1 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 12:41 PM

Hi all,

Im hoping someone will be able to help me. I still havent managed to get my front subframe on, which I need to do to get the rear frame fitted.
I have bought some drive flanges to fit to my new hubs and stub axles. But it doesnt all go together, the flange fits over the axle but theres a big gap inbetween the hub and the rear of the flange, so the axle tips about in the hub and can move back and forth.

Do I have to have the brake disc fitted to the flange? Does the brake disc go right up against the hub? If so what stops it rubbing?

I dont have any brakes at the moment. What size wilwood discs do I need please? I looked them up but the smallest I can find is 260mm here but thats seems too big. And they dont have a 4 bolt pattern to bolt to the flange.

I could use metro turbo brakes. Buy some new calipers and discs which would be about £200. I just dont have the £700 odd for a kit from Zcars. Seeing as the Wilwoods and the Metro ones are both 4 pots and will use about the same size vented discs how much difference would there be in performance? Its never going to see a track just going to be my daily/only car.

Can anyone help me out please Im really stuck? The car is supposed to be being picked up on the 12th for its bodywork and I still need to trial fit the frame.

Thanks

Ben

#2 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:24 PM

These are the parts Im having trouble with:

You can see the gap thats the problem.

Attached Files

#3 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 02:33 PM

It's nearly in but first put your brake disc on, mini hubs aren't like most hubs where the disk goes on the outside.

So remove flange, fit disc install flange tap home flange with soft hammer supporting the inner part of the remaining cv
tap flange home gently

Cheers
David

#4 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:19 PM

Thanks very much David. So it is just the brake disc thats missing to hold it all in place. Does the disc not touch the outside edge of the hub then?

Are the Wilwood, Metro and KAD ones all the same size then, so they fill that gap?

Out of interest what setup are you running please?

Cheers

Ben

#5 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:51 PM

From what i am understanding you are thinking the drive flange should be next to the hub. The disc fits on the inside of the drive flange not like most modern cars that bolt onto the outside. Mini discs have a deep offset on them as per this picture so sit next to the hub.

Posted Image

Wilwood and metro flanges are different to mini, although the metro one may appear simular they have a different offset for different discs and hubs. Mixing and matching can make up different options such as the fiesta conversion, but most flanges will only work with the caliper it was designed with.

#6 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 03:57 PM

I see. Thanks charie t. So if Ive already bought that flange does that mean I cant bolt a Wilwood disc or caliper to it? I dont know what make the flange is, it was just advertised as a "Mini drive flange"

LINK

Edited by benmoffat, 27 February 2011 - 03:57 PM.

#7 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 27 February 2011 - 04:14 PM

Standard 8.4" brake flange,
I don't know the wilwood of the top of my head, but would have thought it requires a specially designed by wilwood

#8 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:11 PM

Ben,
The bearing in the hub holds the CV stub axle tight when it's fully done up, I can see in your picture it's still loose by at least an inch.

What is your intention, standard mini 8.4 discs with wilwood 4 pots?

Wilwood make various universal calipers which require particular mounting blocks to suit a particular car, for instance my own midlites currently on Sierra hubs, could potentially be fitted to just about any make of given the correct mounting blocks. Wilwood calipers are radial mounted to hub via a alloy block, as opposed to lug mounted which most cars are including the mini

Cheers
David

#9 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:14 PM

One more thing if your desperate for time nip the flanges up as in your picture and put your wheels on, as long as your not driving it you can sort the brakes out afterwards

Cheers
David

#10 benmoffat

benmoffat

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 347 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for your help David. That makes sense now.

Im not sure what brakes to use. I know the Wilwood Zcars kit is supposed to be the best but like I said before I cant afford the Zcars kit.

I was looking at some Wilwood calipers on here and they seem quite reasonable, about £200 for a pair. But would have to find some discs to fit which I cant find. Otherwise I could get some KAD discs (about £90 for vented and grooved) but their calipers are a lot more expensive.

The last option would be refurbd Metro Turbo calipers and uprated discs. But Ive just got to work out whats compatible now. I dont really want to have to buy another 2 drive flanges so if I could get the Wilwood dynalite or something and some discs to match and it would fit on my hubs that would be ideal.

Where did you get your discs from? Are you using Mini discs with those Midlites?

Cheers
Ben

#11 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 27 February 2011 - 05:43 PM

Why not get 4 pot alloy calipers meant for a mini so you can use what you have, I have these for sale for £250 7.9 inch solid disc but I would say you need the vented 8.4" 4 pot alloy calipers to get as much braking power as possible.

Failing that if your interested I have a pair of metro flanges spigots machined off and 4 pot metro calipers that need refurbishment for sale that will fit your mini hubs

Cheers
David

Attached Files

Edited by R1mini, 27 February 2011 - 05:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users