#1 lersxt

lersxt

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:07 PM

Hello all, happy new year!

Not such a good start for me, my mini a 1994 1.3 spi has blown its head gasket and the oil has water in it. The oil filler cap has white froth and the car is misfiring badly but it ticks over fine. The engine has about 80000+ on the clock and a compression check a few months ago said 2 of the cylinders were low. Now the head gasket has gone, what do you think is best for this engine? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Jeff

#2 Leonard

Leonard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 784 posts
  • Local Club: mini rebels

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:16 PM

new head gasket. if you have the tools and are reasonably able, it can be done in 2 or 3 hours.

#3 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

not a big job even i can do it :thumbsup:

just get your hanes book out and follow it step by step

you will need a torque rench and feller gages

#4 Bluemini

Bluemini

Mini Doctor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,436 posts
  • Local Club: Blacktop Bombers

Posted 02 January 2006 - 08:57 PM

And a couple of cups of tea.

#5 lersxt

lersxt

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

Thanks for that I'll probably have a go myself. About the low compression on 2 of the cylinders what causes this and how easy is it to fix.

Jeff

#6 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

if its the middle 2 cylinders then it is probs because of the head gasket.

Change it then check the compression again...bets are that they will be ok.

#7 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 02 January 2006 - 09:36 PM

If low compression on 2 cylinders was diagnosed a few months ago and you've still been driving the car, get the head skimmed before re-fitting to just make sure the surface is completely flat. Any machine shop will do it for you for not a lot of money.

Low compression on 2 cylinders (regardless of which ones) is usually caused by the gasket failing between two ajoining cylinders. Compression will be lowered as there is not a proper seal anymore.

Get yourself a decent COPPER replacement head gasket as they are far better than the ordinary ones.

Read the manual first before you start and make sure you have everything you need before you make a start.

Good luck.

#8 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 03 January 2006 - 04:38 AM

use a payen bk450 head gasket, and if the car has done 80k then lap the valves in, but i bet the mayo in your rocker cover aint from a blown headgasket

dave

#9 lersxt

lersxt

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 10:49 PM

Thanks all
I'll take all your comments and advice on board and let you now how it goes!

Thanks again
Jeff

#10 lersxt

lersxt

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 22 August 2006 - 06:52 PM

Hi all.
Got round to changing the head gasket last weekend after the car has been standing for 5-6months, all went well the engine starts but as it warms up the rpm races from 1000 to 1500 and after a while overheats and cuts out? Any ideas what it could be??

Thanks
Jeff

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 22 August 2006 - 07:02 PM

If it ts anything like the gasket that we pulled from a 78,000 92 SPi then it was due for changing. If the coolant is rusty orange, then dont be surprised to find the coolany pasages in the gasket rusted through to the fire ring.

oh poo the gasket issue was ages ago

LOL

Change the fuel for starters. The overheating could be a few things. Need a little more info on what you did along with the head gasket. Could be a few things, pump, thermostat, fan belt, fan on the wrong way. and so on

Id be setting up the injection system by following a few steps here http://www.theminifo...showtopic=20533

#12 lersxt

lersxt

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 05:54 PM

Thanks Mini Sprocket
Cooling system ok was broken switch on electric fan. Still having trouble though! Checked out a lot of the things from had a few dodgy pipes one going to the fuel trap and ECU, sorted them and seemed to run a little better engine has stopped racing but still cuts out when engine warms up. Checked compressions again and the 3 cylinders nearest the radiator are at just over 11psi but the other one is 13Psi would this cause a problem also the plugs looked very sooty? Struggling now!!!

Thanks again
Jeff

#13 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:23 PM

Except for the hottest of hot days, there sould be no need for the electric fan what so ever, infact i dont have one (yet). Id suspect there may be one or a cobination of things not quite right with the cooling system.

The only time my engine temp has moved past the white line on the gauge was on the way to Avon this year, and those who went know that it was HOT. Almost everyones car was, or at least nearly, overheating if they left it running.

Black sooty plugs?? Maybe the coolant temp sensor.

Have you put any new fuel in it since you repaired it?

If its the original fuel from 6 months ago Id replace ALL the fuel for new, start with some Optimax just to clean it out, then use just normal unleaded.

Edited by Mini Sprocket, 23 August 2006 - 06:23 PM.

#14 lersxt

lersxt

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:33 PM

I'll fill with Optimax next job and go through the cooling system again.
Do you think the the compressions are ok though?

Cheers Jeff

#15 Sprocket

Sprocket

• Members
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 06:39 PM

Check the tappet clearances again and do the test again. Normal figures would be 11 to 14 bar (not PSI)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users