#1 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,827 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:48 PM

Mini has confirmed the John Cooper Works WRC will make its first appearance in the World Rally Championship on the Rally d'Italia in May. :thumbsup:
http://www.autosport...rt.php/id/89684

Edited by mab01uk, 30 August 2011 - 10:50 PM.

#2 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 05:54 PM

Now cashing in on the classic mini's rallying pedigree?????

#3 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 03 March 2011 - 06:01 PM

Retitle the promo video to "The Legendary Name is Back".
Much more apt.

I do like this pic. It truly shows the difference.

Attached Files

#4 minijawa

minijawa

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:06 PM

The new one may be bigger but they should remember size isnt everything.......its what you do with it that counts!!

#5 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,827 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:25 PM

mVPYeDosd9c&NR=1

Mini legends Paddy Hopkirk and Rauno Aaltonen, Rally Monte Carlo winners in 1964 and 1967 seen here both very happy 'cashing in' driving MINI's and Mini's. ;)

#6 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

mVPYeDosd9c&NR=1

Mini legends Paddy Hopkirk and Rauno Aaltonen, Rally Monte Carlo winners in 1964 and 1967 seen here both very happy 'cashing in' driving MINI's and Mini's. ;)

Wonder how much MINI paid them?

#7 fordson

fordson

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 10:41 PM

i wonder how long it would be before they entered a new mini in a rally

#8 minimalal

minimalal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Local Club: Eastbourne

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:35 PM

so there 'cashing in' by paying people loads? right
i think its really good, that video is great, shows bmw actually making an effort with the classic community they couldve say how it was a totally new design and quite easily made an exciting video minus any mention of the original rally team but they actually put the effort in

#9 jamie@thefatgarage

jamie@thefatgarage

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:38 PM

How quaint, they've decided to a rally in a front wheel drive bmw. Wish them all the best.

#10 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 03 March 2011 - 11:46 PM

i think its really good, that video is great, shows bmw actually making an effort with the classic community they couldve say how it was a totally new design and quite easily made an exciting video minus any mention of the original rally team but they actually put the effort in

They are not "making an effort" with the classic community, they are cashing in on the rallying heritage of the classic. By getting Paddy Hopkirk and showing clips of the classic rally mini, they are trying to say that its the same only newer, ie taking advantage of the classic for their own gain.

#11 minimalal

minimalal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

They are not "making an effort" with the classic community, they are cashing in on the rallying heritage of the classic. By getting Paddy Hopkirk and showing clips of the classic rally mini, they are trying to say that its the same only newer, ie taking advantage of the classic for their own gain.

Yer and to be honest i agree they probably did fork out for paddy hopkirk, but it isnt cheap to enter rally and develop and build a 300 bhp car though, will they be cashing in that much?

#12 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:11 AM

Yer and to be honest i agree they probably did fork out for paddy hopkirk, but it isnt cheap to enter rally and develop and build a 300 bhp car though, will they be cashing in that much?

Of course they will. Think of how many more cars they will sell when their version hits the rallies (assuming it wins some), all the "boy racers" with money will want a copy. Also take into account the accessory market. Why does any manufacturer go rallying?

#13 minimalal

minimalal

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:19 AM

Of course they will. Think of how many more cars they will sell when their version hits the rallies (assuming it wins some), all the "boy racers" with money will want a copy. Also take into account the accessory market. Why does any manufacturer go rallying?

true, god can imagine some of the 'masterpieces' boy racers will come up with
i just thought it was nice they didnt completely ignore the original rally team

Edited by minimalal, 04 March 2011 - 12:21 AM.

#14 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 12:30 AM

true, god can imagine some of the 'masterpieces' boy racers will come up with
i just thought it was nice they didnt completely ignore the original rally team

Would have been better if they had said "BMW / MINI enters WRC. Saying "The legend is back" can only be trying to associate it with the success of the classic. I hate to think what some will do to the bini after seeing a 300bhp version.

#15 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,827 posts

Posted 04 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

This quote below from an MG owner on another foum who has recently joined the Mini/MINI community shows that it is not just some classic Mini enthusiasts that seem to have a problem accepting later models and their owners............ :)

Quote:
"Is there really a problem between classic Mini owners not really liking the new MINI owners?!

It made me smile because I have owned an MG TF for the past 7 years. I bought it new (yes, I was rather stupid as I had no idea that MGR were about to go BANG!) and the reason I opted for the TF was because (again, don't laugh at me given the MGR problems re reliability!) I wanted a new and reliable everyday car that was fun to drive. I fell in love with my first MG when I was 8 - an MG BGT. I would have loved to have bought a Midget or an MG BGT but I cover a lot of miles a year so needed a new car!

There is s similar 'feeling' from the classic MG owners - apparently the F and TF roadsters are not REAL MGs! The F/TF owners have their own forum and rarely mix with classic MG owners at MG meets!

Isn't it funny how people can have such strong feelings about cars...?!"
End of Quote

It seems there is always hope though..........in this months MCR magazine "Cooperworld" a longtime old school Mk1/2/3 Mini Cooper enthusiast has finally admited he has bought a Rover Mini Cooper
after shunning the re-introduced Rover version as a poor plastic copy and imposter at shows and club events since 1990 when it first appeared. He admits like many other MCR members to being hostile especially when brand new Rover Mini Coopers were entered alongside his restored Mk1 at concours, even when in a different class. Now 20 years later he has finally accepted them to the fold!! However plenty more to this day still look down on them and their owners so I think it will be many years before 100% acceptence is achieved......... :thumbsup:

Edited by mab01uk, 04 March 2011 - 12:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users