11 replies to this topic

#1 dodgy_rider

dodgy_rider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:14 PM

Well as you all know I pretty much caused so much damage to my mini in the crash it's beyond repair twisted shell, I was stripping it and had a thought about a mini trike with keeping the back end then mounting a bike engine in the boot. I I began grinding and the project was born! (also caused a fairly big fire after cutting through the fuel line ooops :saywhat:
Will post some pics as soon as I take em.
Any help here would be apreciated if anyones tried this before?

#2 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:15 PM

I've seen mini's with one wheel at the back (that boat thing :erm: ) but never with just one wheel at the front!

Sounds like a major job and i'll look forward to seeing how it goes!

Are you keeping the mini front end? :tongue:

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 02:26 PM

OMG! It's a reliant robin!! :tongue:

#4 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 03 January 2006 - 03:39 PM

good, news. Someone on here has definitely posted up a trike before on here. IIRC it used the mini front subframe as the back end. Have a search through the projects forum, it's there somewhere! GOOD LUCK!

#5 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 03 January 2006 - 06:45 PM

i know a guy that has built one...i will post up a pic

#6 dodgy_rider

dodgy_rider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 January 2006 - 10:51 AM

Cheers, I will have to use the mini rear end though as I completely totaled the front end!
This is where the problems start like where to fit the engine, how to drive the rear wheels cooling etc.

Thinking of a bike engine in the boot space, have to weld some kind of sprocket carrier onto a rear axle and probably will be cutting the side of the car to produce cooling vents (bit like the busa car mini spares has)

I think positioning the engine how I want it will be more of a pain than fitting the front of a bike on!!

Anyone who has done the bike conversion to the mini how does reverse work? Is'nt it some kind of electrical motor? Can you buy them on their own?

Cheers peeps :smartass:

#7 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 04 January 2006 - 11:37 AM

Cheers, I will have to use the mini rear end though as I completely totaled the front end!
This is where the problems start like where to fit the engine, how to drive the rear wheels cooling etc.

Thinking of a bike engine in the boot space, have to weld some kind of sprocket carrier onto a rear axle and probably will be cutting the side of the car to produce cooling vents (bit like the busa car mini spares has)

I think positioning the engine how I want it will be more of a pain than fitting the front of a bike on!!

Anyone who has done the bike conversion to the mini how does reverse work? Is'nt it some kind of electrical motor? Can you buy them on their own?

Cheers peeps :smartass:

Here you go........Something like this? :wink:

mark :wales:

Attached Files

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 04 January 2006 - 05:15 PM

could you use the front 1/2 of a motor bike with the engine mounted in this and just the rear seat and boot of the mini ? :dontgetit:

#9 Peskett

Peskett

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 278 posts
  • Local Club: 16v Mini Club forum

Posted 06 January 2006 - 12:37 AM

could you use the front 1/2 of a motor bike with the engine mounted in this and just the rear seat and boot of the mini ? :angry:

i thought about doing this using the front half bike idea with the front end of a mini pointing rearwards :grin:

#10 markrally

markrally

Z Cars

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,378 posts
  • Local Club: Miniaddicts.co.uk

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:13 AM

could you use the front 1/2 of a motor bike with the engine mounted in this and just the rear seat and boot of the mini ? :cry:

Bloody hell....... Z cars kit with only one motorbike wheel at the front????????
Crazy :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :nugget:

Mark :wales:

#11 SCURVY DOG

SCURVY DOG

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 11:49 AM

you used to be able to buy plans for a chassis on ebay that mounts the front

subframe at the rear and then uses a moter bike front end

makes for a qiuck trike if you use a 1300cc

pulls wheels easy

did have a photo can't find

#12 dodgy_rider

dodgy_rider

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:51 PM

I have thought keeping a bike engine in the front and have it driving the rear but I thought it would look tidier if I ran the engine from the boot but I have been thinking recently that keeping the bike engine in the bike would be easier. Just have a very long drive chain would have to have a beasty chain tensioner too to keep the chain tight. I'm gunna play with lots of ideas on paper before I pick up a welder and grinder again!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users