87 replies to this topic

#61 Green-Chameleon

Green-Chameleon

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 09 February 2013 - 09:15 PM

**** company. They don't give No claims bonus. Why the ******* not? I've earned it.

#62 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 10 February 2013 - 12:04 AM

It's pretty standard not to gain no claims discount on classic policies. Similarly you can't use existing no claims discount against most classic policies either. This is because the classic policy product is generally aimed at hobby second cars, not daily drives. It works on the assumption that most customers who require classic car insurance will have another modern car that they are using their no claims bonus on. The classic policy is therefore supposed to provide affordable insurance to reflect the low risk and low usage of a classic car, so that it makes owning and insuring a second car affordable dispite your no claims discount being used elsewhere.

#63 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,823 posts
  • Local Club: Loan wolf

Posted 11 February 2013 - 06:24 PM

I was told at the bingley hall show by footman james person that they now do not insure cars that are over 10% of the original bhp

#64 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 07:15 PM

I was told at the bingley hall show by footman james person that they now do not insure cars that are over 10% of the original bhp

Interesting as they still insure mine which has an extra 40% BHP, also that would mean a substantial loss of business to them, on the grounds that it would include every classic mini with a stage 1 kit or more. Admittedly they did refuse to insure my project recently, because it had over double the original BHP. Is it possible that the guy got his figures mixed up and actually meant over 100% of original BHP? As that was certainly the figure they quoted to me, when I tried to amend my policy with them last month. :unsure:

Edited by AVV IT, 11 February 2013 - 07:16 PM.

#65 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:24 PM

No definately 10%, i approached them for a quote and as soon as i mentioned a super charger, she asked what bhp it was, she said they had just recently changed their policy. My thoughts exactly onthe stage one kit situation. Mines about 200% more than original!
Sure they'll be honourong existing policies, but not new or renewals from now on.

#66 Nick Warwick

Nick Warwick

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,588 posts
  • Local Club: Sheffield mini club

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:34 PM

I am insured with them and supercharged but i have been with them for a few years

#67 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 09:45 PM

Blimey!!.. :ohno:

Oh well, looks like they'll be telling me where to go come renewal time then. Just as well I've now got a multicar policy for both my modified minis from one of their competitors then. :proud:

#68 Lucas1988

Lucas1988

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Local Club: Frome Mini Club

Posted 12 February 2013 - 10:30 PM

footman james kindly gave me useless piece of paper stating that i had 1 years claim free diring with them , not a certificate for 3 years no claims ( 2 fron previous and 1 from them ) .

Apparently my policy didnt have the entitlement of earning additional no claims accumilation , my fault for not reading the 30+ pages they sent me when i started my policy but you live and learn - dont take what is said on the phone as gospel !!!

i had this after 5 years of driving with them, but what i managed to do was when i went with directline i got direct line to ring footman james and managed to get a massive drop in my insurance even with having some points 2 years ago. :)
footman james have to be asked the right questions and then you get the helpful answers.

#69 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts
  • Local Club: Essex Mini Club, CMC.

Posted 20 February 2013 - 01:05 PM

My insurance renewal notice came through this week, the renewal quote was more or less the same as last year.

I'm fitting a 12g295 head and refurbished 10 inch Revos so I phoned them to notify the modifications, the conversation was something like this:

Me: Car is not being used right now, but when it comes back on the road it will have a slightly upgraded cylinder head and I'm also fitting smaller wheels.
FJ: I see, is it going to increase the bhp?
Me: I hope so
FJ: What is the increase going to be like?
Me: I don't know the numbers really.
FJ: What is the value of the new wheels?
Me: I don't know the value, I know I paid 40 quid for them...
Insurer: Hold on a minute please, while I check it... (plays some classical music)... right, the quote will remain the same but make sure you have locking wheel nuts.
Me: errrrrrrr thanks, I'll buy the nuts tomorrow. :proud:

So, to sum up fitting a 295 head didn't increase my insurance!

#70 HUBBA.HUBBA

HUBBA.HUBBA

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,823 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:03 PM

My insurance renewal notice came through this week, the renewal quote was more or less the same as last year.

I'm fitting a 12g295 head and refurbished 10 inch Revos so I phoned them to notify the modifications, the conversation was something like this:

Me: Car is not being used right now, but when it comes back on the road it will have a slightly upgraded cylinder head and I'm also fitting smaller wheels.
FJ: I see, is it going to increase the bhp?
Me: I hope so
FJ: What is the increase going to be like?
Me: I don't know the numbers really.
FJ: What is the value of the new wheels?
Me: I don't know the value, I know I paid 40 quid for them...
Insurer: Hold on a minute please, while I check it... (plays some classical music)... right, the quote will remain the same but make sure you have locking wheel nuts.
Me: errrrrrrr thanks, I'll buy the nuts tomorrow. :proud:

So, to sum up fitting a 295 head didn't increase my insurance!

2 things

Has the hp increased over 10% ? Probably not?
secondly insurance companies will take your money all day long, but in the event of a claim it is YOUR responsibility to have provided them with the correct info to start with.
The moral of the story is not to give them any reason for not paying out.

#71 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 03:20 PM

yes, I'm aware of that and honestly don't know the improvement in figures it will give... I told them it was a 295 head as fitted to early coopers so I guess that's what she checked while she put me on hold. That to me is giving them modifications as far as my knowledge goes!

#72 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 04:51 PM

This is what I didn't like about Footman James, you give them some basic modification information over the telephone which they allegedly make a note of and then that's the end of it. It's all a bit informal for my liking, especially when insurance companies tend to take the declaration of modifications so seriously. I was always worried that in the event of a claim, it would inevitably end up being be down to whether the girl in the call centre heard/understood the modifications when I provided them over the phone.

I'm now with Peter James who are much more thorough. You provide them with the basic modifications info at the point of quotation (i.e. things that are likely to make a difference to the premium such as performance, brakes, suspension mods etc.) They then send you a detailed modification report to complete and return. You then declare everything on the modified vehicle report, including cosmetic mods and accessories (you even have to declare the brand of your tyres and current tread depths!!) Basically they ensure you declare absolutely everything, so everything is out in the open. That way they can't claim you didn't disclose something at a later date and you cant claim that you advised them of something that you hadn't actually declared.

Edited by AVV IT, 20 February 2013 - 04:52 PM.

#73 minispaniard

minispaniard

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 899 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:23 PM

I will receive in the next few days a breakdown of all modifications, including the previous ones and the ones I told them today. If I am not happy with how it's explained on the paper or have any doubts I'll phone them again. I understand where you're coming from though...

That thing you mention about declaring even the brand of tyres and tread depths sounds a bit too much for me (do you mean it literally?). If it is that way, do you have to give them a call anytime you go out for some spirited driving and you get back home with 0.1mm less of tread? Or do you need to tell them whenever you change to new tyres?

I have stayed with FJ because, and surely they take advantage of it, I can't be bothered to phone 4 different insurance companies every time my insurance is due to renewal

#74 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • 6,122 posts

Posted 20 February 2013 - 05:41 PM

That thing you mention about declaring even the brand of tyres and tread depths sounds a bit too much for me (do you mean it literally?). If it is that way, do you have to give them a call anytime you go out for some spirited driving and you get back home with 0.1mm less of tread? Or do you need to tell them whenever you change to new tyres?

Yes they do actually want to know what your tyre brand and tread depths are, from what I understand it's purely so that they have a detailed understanding of what they are insuring though, giving them the option of refusal if they are not keen on something. For instance, if you were to insure a heavily modified/tuned monster with them and happened to be running it around on budget nankangs with 1.6mm tread depth, then they might want the option of choosing not to insure that kind of risk, even they are perfectly legal tyres.

There is no requirement to advise them of a reduction in tread depth, or change of tyres, providing its on a "like for like" basis that is.

Edited by AVV IT, 20 February 2013 - 05:41 PM.

#75 ukcooper

ukcooper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,625 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Well they just dumped me for having a 1310 in the mini

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users