dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:09 PM

That's right. The main advantage of ballast ignition systems is they have a hotter spark while you're using the starter motor. While they aren't that complicated... they sure can cause some confusion when people troubleshoot their cars.

I have know several people to comment that they couldn't get their car started... that it would try to fire on the starter and die as soon as they released the key. In most of those cases the person later found that they had not connected the pink wire to the coil. The coil would get power from the solenoid when cranking and die as soon as the key was released.

#17 MINI-GEM

MINI-GEM

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 01:20 PM

My Mini was running slightly rough and hesitating at times so i fitted some points and a condenser. After this everything was fine for about 2 weeks then it started coming back :sad: . Do you think the points are burning out quick? Ive heard somthing like the coil could be the wrong one for the ignition is this true thanks clarks.2006 :erm:

P.S. How much are electric ignitions going second hand any ideas thanks again

I had this same problem, points were burning all the time and couldnt start the car, car kept cutting out and not restarting in the most awkward places. :angry:
I ended up geting the whole ignition system rewired as the guy before me had compltely made a complete mess and wiring was all wrong, causing many problems. All fixed now :grin:

#18 jam2005

jam2005

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,297 posts
  • Local Club: None

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:44 PM

I had the same probem its now fixed :gimme:

#19 clarks.2006

clarks.2006

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:47 PM

I do seem to be getting a weak spark and hard to start, could this mean i have the ballast wire n a non ballast coil? Because I do have the pink wire also would it be ok to take the wire off and run it for a while to see if it runs better? Or will this cause harm to my engine? if it is better do change my coil to a balast 1 and put the wire back on? thanks for help lol :gimme:

#20 dklawson

dklawson

Moved Into The Garage

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,923 posts
  • Name: Doug
  • Local Club: none

Posted 09 January 2006 - 02:59 AM

Clarks, re-read the earlier post to this thread and run the search function for how to test and wire different ignitions.

Succinctly, if your coil is currently getting power (albeit weak) from the pink wire... pulling that wire off the coil will prevent your car from running.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users