8 replies to this topic

#1 pool_pro_v2

pool_pro_v2

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:07 AM

Hi. I'm from Guyana, South America. I'm thinking of doing a engine conversion on a Mini. I'm hoping to put in a Toyota engine. Since Toyota parts are readily available here.

Can anybody tell me if they know of anybody fitting a Toyota Yaris/Vitz engine and matching transmission into a Mini?

I've seen many people put Toyota 4efe engines into their minis, mostly the clubman mini.

I think the Yaris/Vitz engine would be a good fit, because it is a very small engine, just under 1000 CC. I'm hoping to fit this engine with a matching transmission, but I think i'll need some advice first.

#2 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:34 PM

Not heard of one but i'm sure its been done
Its certainly possible to do, what advice are you after?

#3 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 16 March 2011 - 10:57 PM

it should be easily possible i think but i wouldnt recomend it, the engine in a yaris may be extremely reliable but theres just not much pull in it, im learning to drive in one, 1st gear has a bit of pull but you have to change into 2nd pretty much instantly and 2nd is reasonable, 3rd i find you lose a bit of power, 4th is quite good and 5th theres just nothing, foot pressed to the floor and its not going any faster and i personally think the gears slots are spaced to close together, im always goin from 5th to 2nd when im trying to go to 4th, some people may say its a great wee engine, i personally dont think so though ;) im not sure if it would be better in a mini though since its smaller and lighter :)

#4 charie t

charie t

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,153 posts
  • Local Club: wreake mini wanderers

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:04 PM

im not sure if it would be better in a mini though since its smaller and lighter ;)

Yamaha R1 engine is smaller and lighter than a mini engine, does that mean don't fit that?
Because it doesn't churn out 3 million horse power and have VTEC all over it doesn't mean it shouldn't be used.

#5 Mini Mad Drakeley

Mini Mad Drakeley

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts
  • Local Club: south down mini owners club

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:11 PM

im not sure if it would be better in a mini though since its smaller and lighter ;)

Yamaha R1 engine is smaller and lighter than a mini engine, does that mean don't fit that?
Because it doesn't churn out 3 million horse power and have VTEC all over it doesn't mean it shouldn't be used.

i phrased that wrong lmao, i meant the yaris engine might be better in the mini since the mini is smaller and lighter lol :)

#6 minidream94

minidream94

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,233 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

A good forum to look on aswell is 16v mini forum :cry:

http://www.16vminiclub.com/forums/

#7 Udo

Udo

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 10:25 AM

I always said that if the ex wife wrote off her car i would have the engine in a mini. Measured up everything and it should fit easily. Just lose the air con power steering pumps etc very compact engine and 1.3 is same size as 1.0

My plan was to take the wiring loom also to use the digi dash

#8 bigchief3679

bigchief3679

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 228 posts
  • Local Club: trinimini

Posted 10 May 2011 - 01:01 AM

you are speaking of the 1SZ and 2SZ engines aren't you. These engine are great and of awesome design but rely HEAVILY on electronics, here in trinidad there are hundreds in the bamboo. super tiny but the loom is a nightmare IMO.

Edited by bigchief3679, 10 May 2011 - 01:03 AM.

#9 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 15 May 2011 - 08:25 AM

Hi. I'm from Guyana, South America. I'm thinking of doing a engine conversion on a Mini. I'm hoping to put in a Toyota engine. Since Toyota parts are readily available here.

Can anybody tell me if they know of anybody fitting a Toyota Yaris/Vitz engine and matching transmission into a Mini?

I've seen many people put Toyota 4efe engines into their minis, mostly the clubman mini.

I think the Yaris/Vitz engine would be a good fit, because it is a very small engine, just under 1000 CC. I'm hoping to fit this engine with a matching transmission, but I think i'll need some advice first.

This section is for creating a thread on your projects progress only. If you have a question or technical query, please post it in the relevant section! :wub:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users