http://minispares.co....aspx?pid=38461

#2 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:38 PM

Do you also have a couple of hundred quid to have the suspension set up properly once you've fitted this kit?

#3 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 06 January 2006 - 06:48 PM

An excellent kit.

Simple to set the camber and caster yourself. Then go for a 4 wheel tracking session, should cost you no more than £50.

#4 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:36 PM

Yes - excellent bit of kit, have setup many a car with this gear on and all have been pleased with the results :gimme:

Avoid the fast-fit places to get it setup... ideally find someone into racing to get it setup :teehee: - or i can do it for a small donation to the racing fund :P

TTFN,
Dave

#5 Pooky

Pooky

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,691 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

Hey minimole!

Gerald Dale Motorsport/Enginneering in Ninfield do suspension setups! :smartass:

#6 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

yeah thanks for that. Thats where bert(thor) will be going once he is on the road again...
but i can't see how setting the camber would be all that hard surely it is just a case of setting the angles correctly (maybe i am wrong). I am good at maths :gimme:.
but the tracking i will leave alone.

#7 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:33 PM

but i can't see how setting the camber would be all that hard surely it is just a case of setting the angles correctly (maybe i am wrong). I am good at maths .
but the tracking i will leave alone.

Not a gread deal of maths come into it really...
You can do it all at home and buy the (cheap) tools from Minispares.
they sell basic tools to do the job - if you have plenty of time then they are ok..

Camber, castor and tracking, all effect each other in subtle ways - as does the height...

TTFN,
Dave

#8 rob3

rob3

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 07:50 PM

I cant recomend dave (icklemini) enough, he did my suspension setup today, its first rate. And the price is right too :gimme: Cheers mate

#9 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 08 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

The rear camber brackets are *******... They put a HUGE load on the nut for the rear radius arm, in a vain attempt to keep them inplace..

Much better using the single adjustable brakets for camber and then using shims to adjust the toe in/out..

You then need someone who UNDERSTANDS the effects of camber/castor and toe to set the car up, otherwise you could end up with a very poorly handling mini.

You could just set it up as the original configuration, but then you are wasting 100 notes and the time to fit..

Also check to see if they are on car adjustable.

#10 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:06 PM

I cant recomend dave (icklemini) enough, he did my suspension setup today, its first rate. And the price is right too  Cheers mate

Cheers Rob - glad she goes well :wub: - Nice wheels!!
Those nuts in the post tomorrow for you...

The minispares kit listed above is all on car adjustable.

Never had any problems myself with the rear camber/tracking brackets slipping or doing anything untoward, have setup dozens of cars with these brackets fitted and have used them on my own rally crosser with no probs (one occasion it took a side swipe to the back wheel and bent the arm rather than slip the adjuster!)

Have done the odd rally car where the brackets need to have the brackets tack welded to please scrutineers... Belt and braces for sure but certainly worth considering especially if you need to remove the radius arm in the future (thinking more the minisport/KAD style ones here - the minispares ones have a locating bolt to keep the adjustment in place should you remove the bracket)

The minisport ones do seem to be a lot beefier and dont rust up as easy as the minispares ones :o

With either supplier (mini sport / minispares) the initial fit can sometimes (often) require a little manipulation of the bracket to get them on... and solid subframe mounts can cause it to foul up too..

TTFN,
Dave

#11 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 11:56 PM

I spoke to a friend of mine who races minis on those rear brackets.

It seems there are 2 problems.

One is that they are not strong enough (they crack on one of the tighter bent edges) but it seems that minisport ones have a better reputation for lasting longer than others on that score)
Two is that the serrated plates are on the wrong way! I think (IIRC the conversation) he said that they are allowed to slide in the serrations where the better design would be to have them lock ON the serrations, but would make them a bit harder to adjust.

OK, he's on about racing them where they will have a harder, but shorter life, but in my mind, what goes wrong after 1000 racing miles will also go wrong after 3000 road miles.

he also mentioned what GW said about the iffy toe adjustment!

#12 icklemini

icklemini

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 2,982 posts

Posted 09 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

The serations are vertical and 'lock' the tracking in place. Camber could slip if the nut is not torqued up.. but if you're doing the job you'd torque it up!!

No need to overtighten the pivot nut or owt..

TTFN,
Dave

#13 Minwah

Minwah

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 09 May 2006 - 09:52 AM

The serations are vertical and 'lock' the tracking in place. Camber could slip if the nut is not torqued up.. but if you're doing the job you'd torque it up!!

No need to overtighten the pivot nut or owt..

I'm curious about these brackets as I would ideally like to use adjustable camber/track ones to prevent having to undo the retaining bolts into subframe in order to shim the brackets for tracking...I had one of the captive nuts break off once which was not pleasant...

It seems everyone has a different view on if these brackets are good/bad...I see KAD make some ( http://www.kad-uk.com/suspension.htm ) which apparently they have had no issues with (but they would say that I suppose). Mini Sports version seem to look similar.

Had anyone had any real experience with any of these brackets over a high number of road miles??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users