9 replies to this topic

#1 bettzy64

bettzy64

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 07:24 PM

Hi all ive just bought a mini in reasonably poor condition and am planning on putting a cbr1100xx engine in the back of it for lols so i thought is share it with you. Im planning on fabricating a roll cage/front subframe/trailing arms and engine mount and have just ordered all my seamless tubing. Ive also just bought the engine, just got to pick it up. I am planning on metro 4 pots for the front brakes and i am going to try and use the original mini hubs/ brakes for the rear. Im in the process of machining them at the moment. Original mini drive shafts are going to be used along with a mini lsd, im thinking about using a locked diff because they're about 10 times cheaper however i dont want to kill myself so im not sure yet. Im planning on fabricating an oil container that will house the chain sprockets front and rear and the lsd to keep them lubed up nicely. All in all im trying to create a quick car for as little money as possible. I would prefer to use as many original mini parts as possible even if i have to adapt them to fit. Ive never worked on a mini before so it should be a right laugh! Here she is.

Posted Image

Appears to have had a front ender at some point.

Posted Image

Edited by bettzy64, 27 March 2011 - 08:53 PM.

#2 bettzy64

bettzy64

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:26 PM

I stripped her out today in preparation for the roll cage. Here are a few pics. It looks a little messy i know!

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 bettzy64

bettzy64

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 08:43 PM

I also bought this welder, what an absolute pile of pants.

Posted Image

After an hour of messing around with the wire feed and a minor repair to make it actually feed the gas ran out. Useless.

Posted Image

Also useless!

Posted Image

#4 Broomer

Broomer

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,771 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:11 PM

I have the same welder, and i also seem to remember having to mess about with the wire feed/ wire feed wiring. as well as replacing the trigger.

but its been absolutely fine other than that, welding up its third car at the moment as well as countless trailers, go karts, bike frames etc.

Ive been on a blackbird, and jeeeze there quick.

best of luck.

#5 bettzy64

bettzy64

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:31 PM

I have the same welder, and i also seem to remember having to mess about with the wire feed/ wire feed wiring. as well as replacing the trigger.

but its been absolutely fine other than that, welding up its third car at the moment as well as countless trailers, go karts, bike frames etc.

Ive been on a blackbird, and jeeeze there quick.

best of luck.

Cheers, il take your word for it about the welder. The wire feed seems OK now and im going to get a larger cylinder so it should be fine. Its probably just seems rubbish because im used to using a 450 amp mig welding 60mm plate at work all the time and not 1mm sheet!!

#6 miniblade81

miniblade81

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 218 posts

Posted 27 March 2011 - 09:59 PM

looks like you got as much work to do as me lol good luck

#7 bettzy64

bettzy64

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:10 PM

I managed to machine the original front mini hubs in my lunch breaks this week. Ive also fabricated the rear section of the trailing arms that the driveshafts fit through. Ive also picked up my super blackbird engine and have started to fabricate the frame for this. Has anyone used a blackbird engine before? i cant seem to find any trumpets for the throttle bodies, i think theyre 42mm. The best thing i can find is a pipercross filter LINK but was wondering what everyone else has used?

Here are my machined hubs.

Posted Image

And here is the fabricated assembly.

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Also, heres the engine.

Posted Image

#8 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:39 AM

Do those two button head screws hold the hub to the trailing arm?

#9 bettzy64

bettzy64

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:16 PM

Do those two button head screws hold the hub to the trailing arm?

Temporarily, yes. Im waiting on some nickel rods to weld the cast. I was just holding the cast on there with these bolts to make sure the driveshaft fitted ok.

#10 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 09:11 AM

ahhhhhh I see (said the blind man) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users