#31 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 01 April 2011 - 04:02 PM

site:theminiforum.co.uk followed by ECU, or whatever, in google does the job.

#32 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:12 AM

Well we've been discussing this in the staff room and if its what people want then to be it!!

There will be a new section added to the classified area, this will be called "The Car Boot" (catchy title eh??)

This will be for ANYTHING non-mini.

Whilst we will still endeavour to asist with problems this section will mainly be BUYER BEWARE, if you're stupid enough to gift a stranger £200 for an iphone that doesn't work, don't come crying to us!!

A lot of the items in this section will be unfamiler to the team so we will be unable to give our usual level of assistance.

Having said that this area WON'T just be a free for all and offenders will just have their abillity to post in the classifieds removed.

The current for sale rules still apply as well.

Any thoughts or comments are welcomed before we implement these changes?

#33 Tommyboy12

Tommyboy12

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,251 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:36 AM

Thats brilliant news Shifty. The new for sale section is much better than the last one and a 'car boot' area should top it off nicely!

Might be a good idea to split the car boot into auto related and non-auto related. Then we dont have to sift through xboxs and iphones to find a car and vice versus.

#34 Chris_R

Chris_R

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:54 AM

Good news on the new section, I think it enhances the site in enabling members to give first dibs to their items to other members of the community before ebay etc.

Just an idea - would it be worth setting up some sort of auto-prune on the section (if it's possible) to delete ad's that are say 3 weeks old? I would suggest that if there's been no interest in the item within that time then there probably won't be any and the seller should pursue other avenues. Would this help keep the section tidier?

#35 1995 MK2 IOM

1995 MK2 IOM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Local Club: NO CLUB HERE.... YET

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:13 AM

Great News shifty. :thumbsup:

Thanks for all your work (and everyone else who works within the admin. of this great site!)

Jason

#36 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:57 AM

One small step for the team, one giant leap for the members. Still think, for security reasons and the good of the forum, all ad posting should be restricted to TMF+ members. 150 posts is no safeguard for us, say hello to several people and then scam? I have not heard of one "Noobie" who has not become a + member to enable them to post ads. For the safety of all, I can see no reason why any member could object to paying £5 to allow them to post as many ads as they wish for a full year.

#37 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

Sorry but theres no way that I would recommend that only TMF+ people are able to post up ads, matter of fact thats some thing I'm dead against.

Theres lots of people here who aren't TMF+ and put in a lot of their time answering questions and helping out other members. They're contributing in their own way, like I said before theres lots of ways to contribute without spending cash.

The advantage of TMF+ for a noobie is that they can start to use the classifieds straight away, this then gives them a 1 year "buffer" to build up the post count and then at the end of it decide for themselves if they still want to continue using it.

This way no-one is "forced" into buying a subscription, in another thread I stated that TMF is not gonna be a subscription only forum and making TMF+ a requirement is doing just that.

I think I've said before that this isn't a money making exercise, its about people giving a something back to the forum, we're not a free eBay!!

Hope this clears it up.

#38 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

One small step for the team, one giant leap for the members. Still think, for security reasons and the good of the forum, all ad posting should be restricted to TMF+ members. 150 posts is no safeguard for us, say hello to several people and then scam? I have not heard of one "Noobie" who has not become a + member to enable them to post ads. For the safety of all, I can see no reason why any member could object to paying £5 to allow them to post as many ads as they wish for a full year.

i didn't think posts counted in the Introduce Yourself

#39 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:30 PM

Sorry but theres no way that I would recommend that only TMF+ people are able to post up ads, matter of fact thats some thing I'm dead against.

Theres lots of people here who aren't TMF+ and put in a lot of their time answering questions and helping out other members. They're contributing in their own way, like I said before theres lots of ways to contribute without spending cash.

The advantage of TMF+ for a noobie is that they can start to use the classifieds straight away, this then gives them a 1 year "buffer" to build up the post count and then at the end of it decide for themselves if they still want to continue using it.

This way no-one is "forced" into buying a subscription, in another thread I stated that TMF is not gonna be a subscription only forum and making TMF+ a requirement is doing just that.

I think I've said before that this isn't a money making exercise, its about people giving a something back to the forum, we're not a free eBay!!

Hope this clears it up.

We ae not talking about contributing to the forum, we are talking security. How many would say that, for the advantage of added security for all, they would not be prepared to spend just £5 to post an advert that would cost many times more on fleabay?

Noone is "forcing " members into buying a subscription, and noone is forcing them to place ads, but the advantages are the discounts, helping the forum and, if necessary for the advantage of extremely cheap adverts. By your arguement, you could say the member is "forced" to buy a subscription to get the discounts. I'm not suggesting for one moment that TMF becomes "subscription only"...that would kill the forum. I do say that posting ads is an advantage in the same way as the discounts and should be bundled together.

You say this is not a money making exercise and I agree it should not be just that...its a question of security as well. Try posting an ad on ebay without a paypal account.

#40 Beej123

Beej123

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 03 April 2011 - 12:35 PM

I think a 'car boot' section is a great idea and i fully agree with it being a 'buyer aware' area. It might be worth putting up some general advice at the top of a new post (like the for sale rules) just telling people the basic rules to live by if you are buying from a stranger?

#41 Shifty

Shifty

• Admin
  • 13,128 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

Theres only so much you can do before security gets out of hand, if you make it too difficult to place ads or severely limit the amount of people who can place an advert then it becomes a self defeating exercise.

I believe that the system we have at the moment is more than adequte and so far theres only been one member who wanted to make the classifieds TMF+ only, everyone else seems happy with the system we have.

In reality theres only so much that we as a forum can do, its down to the individuals dealing with each other to take steps to protect themselves..

-Pay Via Pay-Pal, Don't gift the money, if necessary offer to split the fees with the vendor
-Send goods recorded delivery and keep the tracking number
-If you can collect the goods or meet at a show then even better.
-Be Suspicous, if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.
-Have a look at the vendors posting history, that bargain engine they're selling may have a history with it, ie a topic names "Why does my engine smoke and
rattle?"
Or
"Whoops Smashed my car up, what can I do next"
-If you see anything suspicious report it and we'll take a look.

If you're selling, don't forget that you DON't have to sell the item to a noobie if you don't want to, do whatever makes you feel safe.

With the measures we have and if you follow the above then that should minimise the risk to all parties.

#42 shed

shed

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:41 PM

we're not a free eBay!!

i know a site that is :)

its all hit and miss either way no matter what you. make it so only tmf+'ers can see the classifieds and any scammer will pay £5 and get it back thru sales in no time. 50/100/150/200 posts dont mean much either... theres loads of people here without a mini who have more.

paypal is protected by insurance so apart from warning people of bad sellers (and banning individuals) theres not much more the staff here can do.

might as well point out how many forum members use ebay as well as the forum so if anyone feels they need the security of '150 posts' then dont complain, theres always an alternative!

#43 Scallywag630

Scallywag630

Up Into Fourth

• Banned
  • 2,850 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:48 PM

Theres only so much you can do before security gets out of hand, if you make it too difficult to place ads or severely limit the amount of people who can place an advert then it becomes a self defeating exercise.

Wow...you must beleive most of the people on here are stupid if you think that becoming a TMF+ member is too difficult for them to acheive.As far as "severely limit", are you planning on restricting TMF+ membership to a specific number?

I believe that the system we have at the moment is more than adequte and so far theres only been one member who wanted to make the classifieds TMF+ only, everyone else seems happy with the system we have.

Maybe I'm the only one you know of at present that is concerned with giving the members the highest level of security possible. In my book "adequte" is not the best that can be done for the members. Making bold statements like "everyone else" is rather silly just because you know that to be untrue. You said "everyone" was happy before and this was proved not to be the case as we now want a "non mini" section.

In reality theres only so much that we as a forum can do, its down to the individuals dealing with each other to take steps to protect themselves..

-Pay Via Pay-Pal, Don't gift the money, if necessary offer to split the fees with the vendor
-Have a look at the vendors posting history, that bargain engine they're selling may have a history with it, ie a topic names "Why does my engine smoke and
rattle?"
Or

If you're selling, don't forget that you DON't have to sell the item to a noobie if you don't want to, do whatever makes you feel safe.

With the measures we have and if you follow the above then that should minimise the risk to all parties.

Would you explain what steps you might take to help a member scammed by a person with 150 posts?

Before personal belittling starts, I would point out that I only have the safety and best interest of the forum members in mind.

Edited by Scallywag630, 03 April 2011 - 07:51 PM.

#44 mk3 Cooper S

mk3 Cooper S

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:07 PM

Great news . Very sensible rules applied too.

As always buyer beware with anything bought on anything but a face to face method.

#45 Beej123

Beej123

One Carb Or Two?

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,184 posts
  • Local Club: Splinters Mini Club

Posted 03 April 2011 - 08:19 PM

Wow...you must beleive most of the people on here are stupid if you think that becoming a TMF+ member is too difficult for them to acheive.As far as "severely limit", are you planning on restricting TMF+ membership to a specific number?

Maybe I'm the only one you know of at present that is concerned with giving the members the highest level of security possible. In my book "adequte" is not the best that can be done for the members. Making bold statements like "everyone else" is rather silly just because you know that to be untrue. You said "everyone" was happy before and this was proved not to be the case as we now want a "non mini" section.

rattle?"
Or

Would you explain what steps you might take to help a member scammed by a person with 150 posts?

Before personal belittling starts, I would point out that I only have the safety and best interest of the forum members in mind.

A plus member can still scam people, a user with 150 posts can still scam people, a user with 5 posts might be the greatest seller ever, having lots of post or being a plus member is just a way of showing your commitment, ie. you are unlikely to post 150 times just to scam people

Fact is that you have to be more commited to post 150 times than to pay £5 to the forum for a yellow name.

BUYER BEWARE simple as that, same goes for the sellers

You are starting arguements for arguements sake! The system works well, the mods and admin are looking at a non mini section, the only way for this to be practical is for the mods to take a far less involved stance with it. If you want to use it then thats the risk you take, i will use it, i don't scam people.

OH and one more thing. I didn't scam anyone before i was a plus member either :) Leave the mods alone, they are doing their best

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users