4 replies to this topic

#1 YIANO

YIANO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:02 AM

Hi ,has anyone replaced the standard primitive Rad for a higher efficiency item?
Could someone throw a couple of pics up as I'm going to change mine but as you all know the Rad from primitive has modified inlet and outlet takeoffs so what have people done about that ?
What I need is a stock looking alloy Rad higher flow than original primitive Rad so dome installation pics would be a great help
Cheers
Jon

#2 YIANO

YIANO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 10:04 AM

Typo is obviously promotive not primitive!

#3 akaflash

akaflash

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 April 2011 - 01:24 PM

i put a standard mini cowl round mine, had to trim it so it fit neatly to inner wing, then made a duct from grill to rad, made a huge difference to running temps, thought i was gonna need a better rad, not now.

#4 SukiDawg

SukiDawg

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:52 AM

Why do you think you need a higher flow?

The water flow rate doesn't have much of an effect of the overall level of cooling.. Firstly - the water pump governs the flow rate anyway, so if you change the rad it won't have much effect on the overall coolant flow - it will only go up (or down) slightly because of the change the resistance from the different radiator core. Secondly, if you do manage to increase the overall flow rate, you increase it in the engine as well as the rad - so the coolant has less time to pick up heat in the engine - this gets offset a little because there is more turbulent flow which gives a small benefit but not much...

Heat rejection is calculated from temp change in the rad (or engine depending how you want to think about it) x coolant flow rate... If the flow rate goes up, the temp change goes down but the overall heat rejected stays pretty much the same.

What you should be looking for is a radiator with a larger core (be that because the area is bigger or the core is thicker), because that will effect the temp change bit of the equation. Another (easier) way to effect the temp change bit is to make sure the air side of the heat exchange is optimised - pictures of promotive installations look like the rad is a bit restricted on airflow (the engine compartment is pretty full!), so as akaflash got some good results with improved ducting I would try that solution first...

Good luck with it!

#5 YIANO

YIANO

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 210 posts

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:17 PM

Yes thanks for that, I'm going to seal the area between the Rad and the inner wing as well as installing some suitable duct from the grill to the Rad . I've changed the standard electric fan for a suction type fan between the Rad and inner wing .basically I'm trying to optimise the setup as these engines run hot ,the original yamaha r1fan isn't triggered by the ecu until 104 degrees whereas mine cuts in at 90
as I've set it however I am cautious of overcooling so was just after feedback from other promotive users particularly in climates hotter than the UK currently sees.

Edited by YIANO, 03 April 2011 - 10:22 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users