14 replies to this topic

#1 miniman207

miniman207

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:40 PM

hello all, i am comming to the end of my project where i have refurbed a mini and put a 1275 engine in it, however when i got the engine i could turn it over quite easily then about a month later when i fitted the engine into the car i found it really diffecult to turn over (yes the plugs are out!) anyway i hav jacked one side up and have been putting the car in gear and using the wheel and a long bar to turn the engine, it started to free off and i could turn it with a socket wrench but all of a sudden the engine stopped turning now all i am getting is a rubbing sound comming from somewhere in the engine bay or the engine itself!! :gimme:

anyone have any idea what the problem might be or how to rectify it?????

Cheers
Gaz

#2 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:43 PM

could be a bolt that holds the clutch cylinder/verto plate in place is too long so hitting the flywheel

dave

#3 miniman207

miniman207

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 09:47 PM

its more of a deeper sound rubbing like if you push a heavy table across a wooden floor tho but i will whip the bolts out and see if it makes a difference cheers

any other suggestions please folks im open to trying anything i am desperate to get this on the road as i am right at the end now after a long rebuild!!

#4 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

cetainly sounds a possible u have starter motor and clutch bolts mixed up else somethings adrift inside and time to start taking apart

dave

#5 miniman207

miniman207

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:12 PM

removed the bolts for the verto plate but problem still persists, i am completely out of ideas, the engine cant be seized as it was turning fine about a month ago as i was doing the tappetts.

Any ideas would be grately appreciated

Cheers
Gaz

#6 miniman207

miniman207

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:14 PM

im thinking i am going to have to take the engine back out and strip it down, its a joke as i paid stupid money for it and it was supposed to be reconditioned!!!!!

#7 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:25 PM

Rust on the bores????

#8 miniman207

miniman207

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 07 January 2006 - 10:39 PM

thats what i was thinking but then surely it wouldnt of turned over as easy as it did a month ago when i was doing the tappetts???? i am extremely confused now and contemplating throwing the engine away and getting another i think i have been had big time with this engine!!

#9 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,933 posts

would not make it that tight for long, sounds like the tollerance on the bearing to the crank are tight so when oil presure is achived its very tight, the clutch is set up incorrectly, the timing gear is hitting the cover, or like the one i had the other week was the crank hit the poxy gearbox case on an aplus unit with a plus box

take it apart but do it logically and check the engine movement after each stage.

dave

#10 miniman207

miniman207

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

thats what i was thinking but then surely it wouldnt of turned over as easy as it did a month ago when i was doing the tappetts???? i am extremely confused now and contemplating throwing the engine away and getting another i think i have been had big time with this engine!!

#11 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 07 January 2006 - 11:06 PM

Where was the engine sat for a month

#12 Turbo Nick

Turbo Nick

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,913 posts
  • Local Club: Turbominis.co.uk

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:09 AM

have you bolted the slave cylinder on? make sure the bolts aren't too long. i've done that one before and it confused the f**k out of me for about an hour!

#13 miniman207

miniman207

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 01:30 PM

decided to pull it all out and strip down found the problem,whoever put the clutch in was a complete muppet and couldnt do bolts up very tight, as soon as i took the flywheel cover off i could see every single bolt was about to drop off due to not being tightened properly. cheers 4 all your help, just gotta replace fuel pump now as i got rather annoyed late last night and yanked the fuel pipe and snapped the spout on the pump ah well 1 more problem to add to the never ending list!

Cheers
Gaz

#14 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 03:43 PM

I have to say that if I had bought an engine and found that the clutch bolts were loose I would want to take the rest apart to find out if the con rods are loose too.

#15 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 08 January 2006 - 06:05 PM

I was thinking exaxtly the same Dan... or just take it back to the conditioners and ask for money back...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users