Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,025 posts
  • Name: Clive
  • Local Club: A5 minis

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:25 PM

I need to completely strip the bottom of our project car to see how bad the grot is. Anyone know the best way to strip old underseal off? Ideas so far are: heat gun, wire brush, acetone (not all at the same time!)

#2 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,903 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 05 April 2011 - 06:30 PM

I would use the heat gun and white spirit although Acetone is probably better. Heat up the underseal, scrape with a decent scraper then wipe the remainder off with either acetone or white spirit. Jobs a good un. It's better to use children to do this job ie somebody like a son who should be helping his Dad more with the car :D :D (That's of course if you have kids yet)

#3 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:45 PM

I would use the heat gun and white spirit although Acetone is probably better. Heat up the underseal, scrape with a decent scraper then wipe the remainder off with either acetone or white spirit. Jobs a good un. It's better to use children to do this job ie somebody like a son who should be helping his Dad more with the car :D :D (That's of course if you have kids yet)

Lots of them! Its a project at the special school where I work so there are plenty of keen teenagers (at least when they start the job they are keen!). Got loads of white spirit as well.

#4 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 07:57 PM

Lots of them! Its a project at the special school where I work so there are plenty of keen teenagers (at least when they start the job they are keen!). Got loads of white spirit as well.

I utilized my son to do this job and all he used was the heat gun and white spirit, being an old git i did not want to scrabble around on the floor and this was well before we had a spit so having a youngster to do the messy job was fine by me.

It worked very well and as a finishing touch he then used a 60mm wire cup on a grinder to remove any other flaky bits. The final result was very good and gave us a very clear picture as to what the floor looked like from underneath.

#5 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:16 PM

Started to day and got a bit of a shock. We rolled the car over on the spit for the first time and after a bit of poking I was puzzled how the 'solid' floor was rotten on the bottom. Then realized that some plonker has welded a new floor over the old one!

#6 new_van_man

new_van_man

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 207 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 09:12 PM

I need to completely strip the bottom of our project car to see how bad the grot is. Anyone know the best way to strip old underseal off? Ideas so far are: heat gun, wire brush, acetone (not all at the same time!)

I did this a few weeks ago and thought its goingto be horrific, but actually wasnt that bad.

It is easier if youhave an old mattress and can tip car on its side. i didnt so had to do underneath not so much fun!

Anyway heres what i did:

1.) I squirted white spirit using a ironing bottle (the white spoirt bottle will work with a hole punched in the top) Apply liberally to a decent sized area.

2.) Make tea.

3.) Return with tea and Lots of tesco value loo roll (16pack)

4.) Reapply some more white spirit. Waxoyl should now look like its kind off dripping.

5.) Now use a wall paper stripper or pasting knife (small ended) and start scraping the soft waxoyl off. It should come off dead easy. Sometimes scoring the waxoyl first before applying spirit helps.

6.) Once scrapped a good size area off, reach for you loo roll and apply a small bit of spirit to the loo roll and wipe any residue off with the wet loo roll / tissue.

Reapeat 1- 6 until no waxoyl left.

It took me 4 hours to completely remove all waxoyl from underside and inner wings and engine bay.

DO NOT USE A WIRE BRUSH! This will just spread it about.

Its a dirty job and quite tiring but not too bad! Good luck

#7 Tamworthbay

Tamworthbay

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 7,025 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:36 PM

Got most of it off on Friday and after 2 hours with an angle grinder we are down to 1 1/2 floors

#8 sonikk4

sonikk4

• Admin
  • 15,903 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:15 PM

Although its a bit late i have recently been introduced to a new toy called an MBX Metal Blaster. I have been using one in the bodyshop where we are having Erm sprayed and its an awesome piece of kit. Pricey but for removing underseal and stone chip its perfect.

Just need to save up now to get one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users