43 replies to this topic

#16 smallcarbigcity

smallcarbigcity

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 08:35 AM

Soooo Cool! nothing better than having a standard looking Mini, you could upset all those people in German exec saloons that drive like a knob cus im in a Mini behind me!

#17 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 12:36 PM

How much is their kit?

Promotive do a really comprehensive kit for £3500 inc stuff like new rad and electric reverse.

Its not electric reverse, it just reverse the drive direction so 6 speed in reverse as well as forwards.

this does look very interesting

#18 roofless

roofless

Sticker Pimp

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts
  • Local Club: central minis

Posted 07 April 2011 - 01:55 PM

LYNX AE

This gives great performance at a fraction of the cost of building a race spec 'A' series engine with similar power.

Looks like the engine itself is around £600-900. This would be a good alternative.

I spoke to LynxAE many years ago regarding an early version of this kit and they were talking £4000 ~ £4500 then, it will be interesting to see the final price. Still cheaper than a race spec A series as already stated

Cheers
David

I spoke to lynx prior to promotive...... and they said no.
at that time the kit wasnt ready for distribution.....but at that time their 'anicipated cost' was more expensive than a pro-mo.

my favourite feature is the standard gear stick retained as your sequential shifter :withstupid:

#19 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 02:17 PM

It sounds really clever is a cradle for the engine that fits into the existing mini subframe, with only minor modifications. I guess with a few notches in it to make it all fit.

one thing I noticed was this

...the conversion ran faultlessly all day and covered 40 road miles, boy is it fast.

drove all day and did 40 miles, not that fast then is it?

#20 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,379 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:17 PM

Do you refit the A Series when you want to reverse :withstupid:

Could be an interesting for track days & hill climbs if you're fast with a spanner.

#21 GTIAlex06

GTIAlex06

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:24 PM

i need this in my life

#22 Dolly 89

Dolly 89

Previously known as suzzy 273

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,366 posts
  • Local Club: Humberside moc

Posted 07 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

Me likey.....

Noticed they hadn't connected the speedo so the bobbies couldn't get em for speeding.....

That doesn't work though because the cops can time you between 2 certain points on your given route and then work out how fast you where going, it was done to some guys racing down the a46 a few years ago, so just be careful if anyone is thinking of doing this as you might just be the one to be made an example of.

#23 R1mini

R1mini

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,385 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

Do you refit the A Series when you want to reverse :withstupid:

It's got an electric reverse built into the diff housing mounting

Cheers
David

#24 Rosslin Racing

Rosslin Racing

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,408 posts
  • Local Club: SMP beo BMC swiss

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:19 PM

if they price this right could be a big runner, the test is how long it all holds together as well. I would love to see one close up.

#25 josh.evans

josh.evans

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 04:31 PM

i hope it kicks off and he sell a good few kits as it does look pretty inerestesting. Im hoping to go and have a closer look in a few weeks time. and it looks like a good company as they do all sorts of racing products even their own kit car.

josh

#26 MiniMinus

MiniMinus

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 09:48 PM

Lynx ae is a very good company. They have a very good history of both racing minis and also there own bike engined cars and many customers cars. I have been In the test car and I am very impressed. Runs really well, very quick, suprising how long first gear is. Definatly a cost effective alternative to a tuned a.series with the engines being cheap and readily available. Can't wait to get mine up and running. Hopefully in time for Avon park and seem how it runs.

#27 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 10:48 PM

It looks like a well engineered conversion but I can't see them selling many if they work out more expensive that the Pro Mo conversion.

#28 Jon1

Jon1

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 07 April 2011 - 11:21 PM

Just wish i was in the other car so i could see it come screaming down the hill, would make my day that.! looks promising this. be good to know a definate price and not just...coming soon

jonny

#29 afoggo

afoggo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 163 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:52 AM

i need that acceleration in my life :thumbsup:

if the kit comes in at a decent price then al be pretty interested in it!

#30 JakeJakeJake

JakeJakeJake

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 836 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 12:07 PM

Apparently they are aiming for a cost of £4300 + VAT ( so £5160) for Instructions on how to carry out the conversion, Engine cradle, Purpose built exhaust manifold, Purpose built heavy duty drive shafts, Cooling system pipe work (kit utilises your mini radiator), Radiator duct, Reverse gear, alloy differential and gear change.

Seems like a lot of money especially considering the promotive kit.

Edited by JakeJakeJake, 08 April 2011 - 12:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users