29 replies to this topic

#1 jeffro

jeffro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:19 PM

Just came across these stick on external hinges. anyone have them of know where i can get them.

are they the japanese ones?

http://i1186.photobu...mriley83/33.jpg

i think they look and work great.

#2 RichardBrown

RichardBrown

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:23 PM

they look class id love a set

#3 jeffro

jeffro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 02:32 PM

just found the japanese ones online, these ones are NOT them. these look much better. just wish i knew where they are.

#4 RichardBrown

RichardBrown

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

ask the person who posted it

#5 RichardBrown

RichardBrown

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 05:18 PM

how much would a set be?

#6 akaflash

akaflash

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 07:07 PM

arc angels have these on there website, expensive though

#7 jeffro

jeffro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 09:37 PM

thanks for that.

ouch £212 painted to your own paint code. just hope thats for all 4 hinges

#8 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 10:04 PM

thanks for that.

ouch £212 painted to your own paint code. just hope thats for all 4 hinges

That makes my £100 or so hinges look cheap, and they aren’t some fake stick on plastic ones either.

Posted Image

Edited by 1984mini25, 20 April 2011 - 10:13 PM.

#9 RichardBrown

RichardBrown

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 12:07 AM

id like them but no way at that price
could buy some nice goodies for my mini for that

#10 1995 MK2 IOM

1995 MK2 IOM

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 810 posts
  • Local Club: NO CLUB HERE.... YET

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:42 AM

Surely looking at those hinges... you could make them with a bit of work?

J

#11 cradley-heathen

cradley-heathen

Metro-Man

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,481 posts
  • Local Club: spearmint rhino

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:31 PM

those japs are some crazy guys, it doesnt surprise me at all that they have a version of these, they love the retro/original look dont they!

personally i think fake external hinges are like those fake brake discs you can get, or fake "dump valve" electronic gadgets, for 200 quid i could convert to external hinges,

please guys dont do it, it just cheapens the scene

#12 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 08:42 PM

personally i think fake external hinges are like those fake brake discs you can get, or fake "dump valve" electronic gadgets, for 200 quid i could convert to external hinges,

Obviously no has noticed mine so far then, it cost me £65 ish for a set of GENUINE mk1 hinges and £35 for the inner and outer a panels. So making my conversation form internal hinges to proper external ones that work, cost half of what those fake stick on ones do.

#13 RichardBrown

RichardBrown

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 09:03 PM

its hard to get orginal ones thou and iam nt that mechanicaly minded and stick on ones would be the job
and minis are meant to be cheap easy and most of all fun and its gona kill ur bank balance,, not everyone can afford a mk1 mini and love the retro look so il find these hinges and buy them but not at that price
just everyones mini will be diffrent and i hope it stays that way

#14 Tupers

Tupers

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,105 posts

Posted 21 April 2011 - 10:34 PM

its hard to get orginal ones thou and iam nt that mechanicaly minded and stick on ones would be the job

You can buy them brand new from Mini Spares and second hand at most decent Mini shows.

not everyone can afford a mk1 mini and love the retro look so il find these hinges and buy them but not at that price

Best of luck to you but I doubt you'll find the same hinges for less anywhere else. If you really want faux hinges but don't want to pay £212 for them then you're probably gunna have to make them yourself.

#15 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 21 April 2011 - 11:10 PM

As a mechanical engineer the Arc Angels hinges actually look a very clever neat piece of design to me, much better solution than the crude Japanese versions which are in 2 seperate parts and just have very large gaps to maintain the opening clearance and so don't look that realistic when open or shut.
Posted Image

http://www.the-arc-a...asp?ImageID=210

Mk1 Door Hinges - £212.00
"After nearly 18 months of development, they are finally here. These door hinges allow you to achieve the mk1 look on a later mini with interior door hinges. They are replicas of the original mk1 hinges, made using a special blend of casting resin, giving a tough and accurate replica hinge. A special pivot system allows the door to open without the hinge fouling, as the door is closed, the hinge returns to its original position giving the look of a mk1 hinge These hinges are individual in many ways. The first being that you can fit them to a later non exterior hinge car. Secondly, they are so easy to apply, Simply remove the self adhesive backing, and stick them on. Can be fitted in about 5 minutes. Thirdly, They have misalignment adjustment, allowing you to fit the hinges to any mini with up to 2mm of misalignment between the door and a panel. To find the misalignment measurement, place a ruler against the door and a panel, the difference between the two panels is the misalignment, and yes, most minis are different from side to side, as well as top to bottom. We manufacture the hinges and finish them to your paint code, meaning all you have to do is stick them on. simply email your paint code when ordering. There is currently a wait of 6 to 8 weeks on this product."

These are the Japanese dummy hinges:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by mab01uk, 21 April 2011 - 11:35 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users