Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,804 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 22 April 2011 - 09:15 AM

Here are some sticker hinges!
Posted Image

I have just been informed by a Japanese Mini enthusiast that several similar types of hinges similar to the Arc Angels UK version are available in Japan.

Also here are some 'Homemade' Japanese hinges!
Drawing:
Posted Image

Trial and error fitting:
Posted Image

Finished article looks good:
Posted Image

Edited by mab01uk, 22 April 2011 - 09:17 AM.

#17 jeffro

jeffro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 22 April 2011 - 01:45 PM

them homemade ones look great also. did you make them?

you could make yourself some money if you have

#18 RichardBrown

RichardBrown

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 307 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 12:10 AM

il take a set :)

#19 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 23 April 2011 - 10:54 AM

I absolutely love the Arc Angels hinges!! :) But at £212 I'm afraid I just couldn't justify that sort of expense myself. Also for something that is so expensive & so desirable, I'd always be worried about how easily they could be removed by some thieving scumbag who wanted a set!! (particularly as they are self adhesive and so easily fitted) ;)

#20 jeffro

jeffro

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 April 2011 - 09:06 PM

The way i fit stuff, there proberly fall off at the end of my drive :techsupport:

#21 gazza01

gazza01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:07 PM

£212 give me a break. What are they actually worth. A few quid? Sooner or later somei firm will take a set of these and copy them for next to nothing.
Just a matter of time

#22 kcchan

kcchan

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 874 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:27 PM

The money goes into designing and developing the hinges as well. Its not just the cost of materials and production.

That aside, £200+ is a lot of money for some "fake" external hinges.

I'm retrofitting some original MK1 hinges to my MK3 and the hinges only cost me £30.

#23 gazza01

gazza01

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 30 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

The money goes into designing and developing the hinges as well. Its not just the cost of materials and production.

That aside, £200+ is a lot of money for some "fake" external hinges.

I'm retrofitting some original MK1 hinges to my MK3 and the hinges only cost me £30.

£212 imo is taking the piss as far as the firm getting there money back. Anyway surely its not rocket science for a designer to come up with those hinges. They are still just tweeked hinges. You'll be able to get a set of four for about £50 in a year or so......I hope!

#24 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 17 July 2016 - 12:28 PM

As a mechanical engineer the Arc Angels hinges actually look a very clever neat piece of design to me, much better solution than the crude Japanese versions which are in 2 seperate parts and just have very large gaps to maintain the opening clearance and so don't look that realistic when open or shut.Hinges-special.jpghttp://www.the-arc-a...asp?ImageID=210Mk1 Door Hinges - £212.00"After nearly 18 months of development, they are finally here. These door hinges allow you to achieve the mk1 look on a later mini with interior door hinges. They are replicas of the original mk1 hinges, made using a special blend of casting resin, giving a tough and accurate replica hinge. A special pivot system allows the door to open without the hinge fouling, as the door is closed, the hinge returns to its original position giving the look of a mk1 hinge These hinges are individual in many ways. The first being that you can fit them to a later non exterior hinge car. Secondly, they are so easy to apply, Simply remove the self adhesive backing, and stick them on. Can be fitted in about 5 minutes. Thirdly, They have misalignment adjustment, allowing you to fit the hinges to any mini with up to 2mm of misalignment between the door and a panel. To find the misalignment measurement, place a ruler against the door and a panel, the difference between the two panels is the misalignment, and yes, most minis are different from side to side, as well as top to bottom. We manufacture the hinges and finish them to your paint code, meaning all you have to do is stick them on. simply email your paint code when ordering. There is currently a wait of 6 to 8 weeks on this product."These are the Japanese dummy hinges:Dummy-Hinge-2.jpgdummy2.gifdummy.gif

Hi does anyone no if these hinges can still be purchased ?

#25 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 17 July 2016 - 01:14 PM

I seem to remember another thread here that mentioned arc angels no longer producing these, but you probably ought to drop them an email to be sure.

#26 minimissions

minimissions

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,427 posts
  • Local Club: M.M.O.C

Posted 18 July 2016 - 05:58 AM

Yeah I have tried to google them from there and they don't do them any more but like you say might drop an email.

#27 CobraV8

CobraV8

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 991 posts

Posted 18 July 2016 - 10:51 AM

See how many you need to get a group buy going? I'd be keen.

#28 Markiss

Markiss

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 29 April 2023 - 03:44 AM

Hello folks,

It's been awhile since anyone has posted in this topic. Just wondering if anyone has any good quality options to consider. I've looked up Arc Angels, and they don't carry them anymore. I purchased a set from Japan, but they are breaking and need to be taken off. Anyone else have any other Japanese or other choices? I'm not sure where those Homemade Japanese ones that are listed above are from. If not I'm even considering the decal approach listed above. If I didn't have the car already bodyworked and painted, I would have added real ones in already. But to add actual ones, would undo a lot of work. Thanks in advance for any light that you can shed on this. 

#29 evoderby

evoderby

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 30 April 2023 - 07:50 PM

Best dummy hinges available imo:

https://www.auto-bmc...-MK2-p534576249

#30 Markiss

Markiss

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 05:17 PM

Best dummy hinges available imo:

https://www.auto-bmc...-MK2-p534576249

Yes, they seem to look the best so far, and made of metal. Thinking they would last longer than other plastic ones. Has anyone ordered these? What do the insides look like with the inner workings of it all are? Wondering if it's worth it for them before I take that plunge. 

Are there any distributers of them, or do we have to purchase them direct from that place in France? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users