7 replies to this topic

#1 S4 NAT

S4 NAT

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:42 PM

Can't decide whether to stick to conventional suspension on my latest project, or go for a rear beam and front and rear coilovers?

I want to lose weight off the car so reckon an alloy beam is a good place to start (seeing as though I'd need a rear subframe anyway).

Any beam axle/coilover experienced users out there who can offer advice?

The car's going to be used for occasional track work and isn't a daily driver, but the roads around here are shocking so I don't want to end up with something that skips over bumps and shakes my fillings out when I do go for a blast :thumbsup:

#2 vasi

vasi

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  • Local Club: Minis 'n' Oatcakes

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:48 PM

Mine does not skip over bumps with a rear beam.

Can't really say much for filings... I haven't got any!

#3 S4 NAT

S4 NAT

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 10:57 PM

Is it steel or alloy? What dampers are you running? How does it compares with a well set up rubber suspended mini?

#4 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:00 PM

urm err how long is a piece of string, the rear subframe is quite light for its job and for a road car i would use the subframe because of the strength it adds just incase mr chav mans punts you, The raduis arms are another thing they weigh a ton and are unspung weight as for coil overs i personally did not like them i prefer the way rubber cones give a smooth ride and then when u load them up in a corner they get harder, i also hated the sping convertion for rubber donuts they are cack in my option. so I would run alloy raduis arms with minifins and possibly if i was worried about weight drill some 2" holes in the rear subframe to reduce the weight and fit an anti roll bar. the beam is less weight agreed but u dont have some of the same options as you do with a subframe,

#5 S4 NAT

S4 NAT

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:14 PM

Thanks for the feedback.

Already purchased the minifins and the kad arms are on the shopping list .

I achieved an excellent balance of ride quality/handling with my prev Mk1 on the rubbers, so only will go down the coilover route if I'm 100% sure it's going to be better than a proper rubber set up, so all comments appreciated...

#6 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 11 January 2006 - 11:22 PM

i think its coil overs dont spring the same way was part of the problem and the other problem if it does not weight very much getting the right spring rate is going to be the challenge

dave

#7 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 09:25 AM

Haven't fitted my coil overs yet, but just to add, if you do fit some you have to get the corner weights sorted, which all adds to the cost.

Edit: Might not be a like for like comparison, but the bike engined boys use coil overs, as do most of the Vtec people. Might be worth asking those people on here or doing a search on www.16vminiclub.com.

#8 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 12 January 2006 - 11:43 AM

If you intend to do any racing or off tarmac driving then the offset pin coil overs fitted to the normal damper mounts aren't ideal. You would be better getting strengthening fitted to the wheelarches, I think the kit comes from Avonbar. Basically much stronger and larger damper mounts which will take the damper and spring in them so you don't need the offset pin which is a potential weak point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users