#1 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:55 PM

IM BACK, AND SO IS GEORGE.

Yes the red racer has been named finally...thought it was an elegant name and certainly patriotic...as this little number is ofcourse.

Following a 3 day into to driving into work, George took a turn for the worst - snapping the engine steady in 2, and ripping the slightly rusty bolt support off the back of the engine bay. The engine - for an entire hour of driving to home rocked back and forth, and slanted to one side.

So into the garage he went. As the garage were oging to take a while over things - also fixing my dodgy lower radiator fitting I decided the other parts should go on to save me trying to do them in the pitch black when I got home everynight form work. The result is sheer blissful joy:

Posted Image
Posted Image

...plus, not only is there a decent bit of VROOOM, theres also:

Posted Image

The River Kwai playing away :grin: . I'm told these airhorns are very quick unlike a lot of makes, making the tune a lot more enjoyable and public-friendly...even though when I set them off at my house they echo across the valley :w00t:

Took him up Porlock Hill today as a test. It involves 3x 24% climbs, about 50 signs warning you to stay in 1st gear, and a 1:4 to top it off. The views on the top are stuning however. Here's George taking in the views with his new found power:

Posted Image

Untill next time folks. I won't be around much - work is setting me into a new project for our IT systems, and the other half is wanting me up to bristol every other weekend. Will get back to you all soon.

Cheers! TMF Rules!
Nev.

#2 dean_chad

dean_chad

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 733 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:58 PM

holy cow thats some hornage!!!!!!

#3 minipixie

minipixie

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Local Club: Lincoln TMF and Notts TMF

Posted 14 January 2006 - 06:59 PM

looking good! like the air horns, how much did they set u back? do they fit in ur engine bay, without too much difficulty?

ps. cool name!

#4 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:05 PM

Yes George is ver horny now *Audience Grown* :grin:

These are Stobel musical set - they cost £32.99 from The Mini Shack strore on E-bay.

They fit quite comftably in the bay, using a cutsom made plate that bolts onto the engine just below the rocker cover. The bonnet opens and closes as before, nothing would let you know whats inside...except the noise! Ill record a video for you when I get the chance :w00t:

#5 minipixie

minipixie

• Members
  • 1,646 posts
  • Local Club: Lincoln TMF and Notts TMF

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:09 PM

cool! am tempted have to say! did u make the custom plate urself? whats it like? lol not that i ask too many questions

#6 nev_payne

nev_payne

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 07:55 PM

Yeh I made the plate (with a bit of help form Dev - my friend at the garage) - its 3 pieces of 3mm thick steel really I think my friend got it off an aged support collum. Basically 2 parts are the bolt holders attaching it to the mini. The 3rd piece is pretty much the width of the engine block with 5 drilled points for each of the horns (they bolt to it by having a paper-clip like piece of wire going over the thinnest part of the horn, ending up with a circular area for each bolt).

The 3 parts wer then welded and grinded down as I made a bit of a chicken-sh** mess of one corner. :tongue: My friend (Dev form garage), then fitted it into place, after which we worked out how to arrange and wire up.

Contrary to what you might think the plate doesnt really affect any general runnings of the motor. Only 2 bolts prevent you reaching the coil and ignition systems so its not a bother to reach the dissy. The main road horn has been moed lower down and sites below its original points - pretty much in line with the clutch plate housing on the driver side inner wing.

The one thing that is a bother to get to is ofcourse the oil dipstick. Again only 2 bolts but its something that would usually be done every week...but that considered, they are well placed.

If you look at the picture of the horns, we where going to place them top right next to the carb, but considering the lack of sound protection and foam backing, it would seem a waste - more the passenger getting the full noise then the intended people/phesants outside the car. :grin:

#7 wobbit

wobbit

• Members
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke mini club

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:16 PM

looks good, i have my horns mounted behind the grill :wink:

#8 * Specialized *

* Specialized *

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 14 January 2006 - 11:21 PM

lookin good

#9 Super Adam

Super Adam

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 January 2006 - 10:18 AM

Nice Mini mate (I love the name! :cheese: )
Good Idea to give it a test. I might do that myself with mine when I get a mini!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users