#16 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts
  • Local Club: Leicester Mini Owners Club

Posted 30 June 2011 - 01:50 PM

Well had the shell back a few weeks now, not really achieved anything body wise as ive been collecting parts and sorting the engine out.

Rolled it out the garage to take some pics though for those who might be interested.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Also been working on rebuilding the radius arms
Posted Image

#17 Retro_10s

Retro_10s

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,129 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 02:43 PM

Lovely to see another van.

What's going on with that massive patch of welding on the Passenger side read quarter?... those welds look like they're sitting on top of the panel instead of penetrating through to whatever's behind :S

#18 olds_kool_lews

olds_kool_lews

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,601 posts

Posted 30 June 2011 - 04:22 PM

its good to see another van being restored, but the sill fitted isnt a genuine sill, its an after market oversill, genuine ones are half the width, with open vent holes.
the rear quarters only been tack welded too, could do with seam welding really, dont mean to pee on your bonfire mate, but i suppose you get what you pay for :) good luck with it! :unsure:

#19 stewart

stewart

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 11:54 AM

It is nice to see another van being sorted out :) i must admit tho the welding does look a little rough around the edges :thumbsup: i know if i was having a removable front end i wouldnt want those patches showing on the rear of the inner wings. Other than that good work love to see it when its done

#20 madboy

madboy

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:33 PM

good to see aother van being saved ,and good for you keeping it for 6 years as i was, so many people would have sold it as a 'unfinished project' saying they need the room, good luck with the build and keep working at it :D

#21 dasupersprint

dasupersprint

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:39 PM

Good luck with the project, this will be one nice van if it looks anything like your signature!

#22 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 11 July 2011 - 08:47 PM

hey any updates????????????

YetI

#23 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 01:32 PM

Hi thanks for the comments...

Not much has happened bodywork wise as i've been quite busy, I dont have a garage where I live so the cars stored at my mothers which is 30odd miles away, so its differcult to tinker on it as I only get the weekends when im free.

Regards the welding. The rear quater is being done again as im not happy with it after posting in the bodywork section and quite a few people saying that its not upto scratch.

Other than that the engine is in being rebuilt and painted so that will be another thing crossed off the list.

Other major things are the prep, paint and wiring....! so still some way off yet >_<(

And yes the image of the van in my siggy, is the image of how it will look in my head ive had the last 10 odd years now...

Good things come to those who wait and all that.

#24 minimuff

minimuff

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 70 posts

Posted 13 July 2011 - 04:03 PM

Brilliant stuff mate. Nice proper full restoration.

Good Luck with it.

#25 l_jonez

l_jonez

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,453 posts
  • Local Club: south wales mini club

Posted 13 July 2011 - 07:55 PM

looks awesome!!! one thing though, open up those oversills with some holes in the vents else the condensation inside them will rot the sills out in a few years.

dont want to see another van rust away!

keep up the good work buddy

Ben

Hi Ben,

Not 100% sure what you mean by oversills? there geniune new sills from somerfords, the old panel was removed and this new one put in its place.

By vents do you mean the bumps?

Happy to drill some holes in if it means she stays solid for years to come.

Their not genuine sills!

Do your self a favor if your planning on keeping the van for a few years and cut them off now and use proper ones

#26 miniman86

miniman86

• Members
  • 1,939 posts
  • Local Club: smag, Waltham Abby

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:07 PM

just had a ganders through yours mate, sounds like it'll be really good when its done, but i see what you mean about the welding, but like mine, it will get there, all in good time :) keep on top of it though :D

Alex

#27 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,885 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 02 August 2011 - 08:19 PM

I'm glad they are sorting out the rear quarters for you. What's getting me here is why the patchwork quilt in the flitch areas when they could have bought a repair panel to make a nice neat job??

Even though those sills may have come from Somerfords they are not original fit sills, they are repair sills ideal for covering dodgy repairs and they are not as strong as the original short sills.

I'm sorry if this is sounding like a dig at your car its not i just hate seeing people pay money for something that to be honest is not that clever. At least you have cut the rot out of the flitches so nothing is hiding.

#28 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 03 August 2011 - 07:57 AM

Been doing a few bits to the subframes at the moment as i'm aiming to get it back on its wheels so it easyer to move around.

Your right though guys, the more I look at it and understand about bodywork from reading stuff on here. The more I think they havnt really dressed the welds at all :( this will be something I'm going to look into hopefully I can tidy most of it up.

You'll proberly be please to know that it looks like the sill might have to come off again away. :) Having a nose over the inside last night, it looks like I'm going to have to replace the drivers rear floor pan as its coming away from seams of the seat tunnel..... I hadn't noticed it before now. :(

Ow well, having never done something like this before it's all abit of a learning curve.

I've got a welder now though. So if you want a job doing right "DO IT YOURSELF!" as they say.

Just means its going to take me even longer, as I now need to learn how to weld first. LOL

On the plus side my engines back and looking shinier than a shiny thing.

#29 SAL 821X

SAL 821X

• Members
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 13 September 2011 - 11:13 AM

Bit of an update.

Had a few days off last week as I should have been going away, that didnt happen so got some work done on the van instead. I've not done much to the bodywork recently as I've been consentrating on getting it back on its wheels at the moment.

New solid lower subframe mounts.
Posted Image

Adjustable Tie-bars with Poly bushes.
Posted Image

Wiring looms out. Its been really hacked about so I will end up replacing most of it I think.
Posted Image

Primed most of the bulkhead and rear tubs.
Posted Image

Rebuilt the top arms with new pivot kits. Only got one side in though as the cones nackered on the other.
Posted Image

Sprayed the flywheel and clutch housing silver. Also did the gearbox but forgot a picture.
Posted Image

Put the new swift tune cam, followers and oil pump in the engine. Dropped the head on for the time being, need to torgue down the bolts.
Posted Image

While I was in the back of the car taking the loom out I found this. :(
Posted Image
Posted Image

Think it need a new rear floor pan and a cross tunnel.

So I think that will be the next job to do.

#30 miniman86

miniman86

• Members
  • 1,939 posts
  • Local Club: smag, Waltham Abby

Posted 14 September 2011 - 04:46 PM

keep going mate, don't give up, i really need to get on with my van now :/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users