51 replies to this topic

#31 danielevison93

danielevison93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:11 PM

If you just want some music in the car & aren't worried about quality of install or where the music is coming from then 6x9's in the parcel shelf will be ok. However just consider the size of hole you have to cut out of the parcel shelf metal, the 5" speakers will fit in better & should you choose to change them later wont leave gapping big holes you'll need to fill.
If you want 6x9's (& as already said) & you dont care where the sound is coming from then buy/build a speaker board for under the rear seat.
If you want a more quality sound from your system then build speaker pods for your doors & mount some 6.5" components.

Yeah, it's not the fact that i dont want quality. Its the fact i cannot afford it, this is why i am just looking at one set of 6x9's on the shelf. Would i be able to get away with not cutting the metal, if I was to buy some spacers or something?
Cheers

#32 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:17 PM

You'd be better to buy yourself a sheet of 9mm mdf (cheap from hardware store) & make up your own spacers, you can layer it until you get the required height or angle it if needed. Then you could attach the rings to a new parcel shelf & finish with body filler & cover in vynal (cheap from Dunhelm Mill) or carpet. Have a look at my build thread (link in signiature) to get an idea of what I did. It really is simple & wont cost a lot. My whole shelf probably cost me less than £20 for materials

#33 danielevison93

danielevison93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:23 PM

You'd be better to buy yourself a sheet of 9mm mdf (cheap from hardware store) & make up your own spacers, you can layer it until you get the required height or angle it if needed. Then you could attach the rings to a new parcel shelf & finish with body filler & cover in vynal (cheap from Dunhelm Mill) or carpet. Have a look at my build thread (link in signiature) to get an idea of what I did. It really is simple & wont cost a lot. My whole shelf probably cost me less than £20 for materials

Okay, cus I am pretty sure there is barely any holes in the metal under the parcel shelf. I dont suppose you know the size of the gap between the parcel shelf and the wood?

#34 danielevison93

danielevison93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 12:45 PM

Okay, cus I am pretty sure there is barely any holes in the metal under the parcel shelf. I dont suppose you know the size of the gap between the parcel shelf and the wood?

and which 6x9's do you reccommend, i have around £50 max
cheers

#35 Brams96

Brams96

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,308 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 07 June 2011 - 01:45 PM

Each speaker is going to have a different depth and different size of magnet so you'll just have to eye up where you want them to sit & measure the size of hole you need. Remember dont go crazy when cutting as you can always take away material but can't put it back (unless you have a welder)
There should be a cut out template with the box they come in but if you use it don't cut the full size to begin with as the hole you will need will be smaller due to the speaker being raised instead of flush.

#36 danielevison93

danielevison93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

Each speaker is going to have a different depth and different size of magnet so you'll just have to eye up where you want them to sit & measure the size of hole you need. Remember dont go crazy when cutting as you can always take away material but can't put it back (unless you have a welder)
There should be a cut out template with the box they come in but if you use it don't cut the full size to begin with as the hole you will need will be smaller due to the speaker being raised instead of flush.

Just got home from college, and I am now sitting in my car, thinking it would probably be best just to stick the 6x9's in a kickboard thing underneath the back seats, therefore it will involve no cutting right?

#37 A362 TTU

A362 TTU

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:48 PM

Just got home from college, and I am now sitting in my car, thinking it would probably be best just to stick the 6x9's in a kickboard thing underneath the back seats, therefore it will involve no cutting right?

Correct!. You could either make it yourself or buy one pre made (optimise automotive make them - I think you can get them at minispares too)

#38 danielevison93

danielevison93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:53 PM

Correct!. You could either make it yourself or buy one pre made (optimise automotive make them - I think you can get them at minispares too)

Okay, that's what I'm going to do, can't think of anywhere else to put them, other than places like the arches, which would work out probably a bit pricey

#39 chalkie

chalkie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: LOOKING!!

Posted 07 June 2011 - 04:58 PM

SQ this... sound stage that... cross over at this frequency....

look... simple a couple of 17cm speakers on the rear deck and a couple of 10cm speakers in the front vents... some cheap FLi jobbies or some nice alpines will sort you out a treat... not to hard either just make sure you buy way to much speaker cable.. because no matter how much you think you need, it wont be enuff!

Couldn't agree more with this! I used the rear parcel shelf with an amplifier before and it was amazing. The boot acted as a bass box and gave a very loud and clear sound.
Remember the mini is a tiny can with nothing to stop the sound bouncing off Walls etc so just 4 speakers will be perfect to reduce the engine noise. An amp isn't needed if you have 2 in the front. Buy always something you can do any time.

#40 chalkie

chalkie

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Local Club: LOOKING!!

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:01 PM

look... simple a couple of 17cm speakers on the rear deck and a couple of 10cm speakers in the front vents... some cheap FLi jobbies or some nice alpines will sort you out a treat... not to hard either just make sure you buy way to much speaker cable.. because no matter how much you think you need, it wont be enuff!

Couldn't agree more with this! I used the rear parcel shelf with an amplifier before and it was amazing. The boot acted as a bass box and gave a very loud and clear sound.
Remember the mini is a tiny can with nothing to stop the sound bouncing off Walls etc so just 4 speakers will be perfect to reduce the engine noise. An amp isn't needed if you have 2 in the front. Buy always something you can do any time.

If you are makin the kickboard yourself use cardboard first to create a template, it's the beat because it's stron but malleable. Under the seat does lose some sound as it's pushing towards the seats. Have you not thought about the rear door bins?

#41 danielevison93

danielevison93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:02 PM

How would I fit them in the vents?

#42 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 07 June 2011 - 05:29 PM

Honestly I give up with some of you guys on here.

TO YOU it sounded amazing, but im guessing it really sounded muddy and lacked clarity.

And the Tin can stuff is bol ocks...

#43 danielevison93

danielevison93

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:00 PM

TO YOU it sounded amazing, but im guessing it really sounded muddy and lacked clarity.

I'm now so confused what to do! haha >_<

#44 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 07 June 2011 - 06:19 PM

Get a nice set of comps or coaxial speakers the best you can afford/want to spend and install them up front.
If you have a wood dash you can remove the air vents and install a 4" or 5" speakers in the holes or use pods or door builds and use 6.5" units.
If you go for comps put the tweeter on the top of the dash in the corners.
Run them off the head unit.

Later if you like buy an amp and use that to power them, you might even at that point consider a subwoofer.

Cheers

Edited by Ruckus, 07 June 2011 - 06:20 PM.

#45 A362 TTU

A362 TTU

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 07 June 2011 - 07:07 PM

I'm now so confused what to do! haha >_<

get an account on talk audio and get help there if you want to build a system that will sound good (like properly good)

Because this forum is a dedicated Mini forum then its occupants may not all be serious about car audio, therefor less quality advice will be given. so if you just want music to drive too and dont care about quality then dont bother with Talk Audio.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users