8 replies to this topic

#1 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:37 PM

Hi i can't work out whats missing here or am i doing something wrong, i'll post two pictures?

When i removed the clutch plate and piston from a 998 the piston was mounted on a bracket, i'm now fitting a 1275 mg lump into the mini, i've swapped the clutch plates over and when i come to fit the bracket it looks like the piston is only just touching the push rod? Also what size are the bolts that hold the bracket down and what size are the ones that the o/s engine mount bolts to the engine.

Am i missing something???

pics to follow

Attached Files

#2 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 02:38 PM

pic

Attached Files

#3 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:02 PM

right, you have a combination of a verto slave cylinder and mounting plate, and a Pre verto clutch on the engine... !

is the pic of the engine you are fitting, and is the 'wok' from the same engine ?

#4 minimole

minimole

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 03:02 PM

you will need to get a new slave cylinder because the engine in the pic has a pre verto clutch. with a pre verto clutch (diaphram) the slave cylinder is not mounted on a plate at a 45 degree angle. instead it is mounted on top of the clutch housing (where the top 2 bolts for the mounting bracket go)

#5 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:19 PM

Ok what if i was to extend the piston ( weld a length of steel tube on?) and bolt the hydralic piece directly on top, would this work??

#6 minidaves

minidaves

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: mine

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:22 PM

better to use the right bits for the job and u need to chage the slave cylinder hose too

as for bolts 1/4 unc for the engine mounts and 3/8's unc for slave cylinder

i can sort u out all the bits u need if required

dave

#7 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:58 PM

Basically i had two 998's that were fitted to mini's and some how i've been left with the wrong bits.

Let me try and get this right in my head. The clutch plate the one with the arm on i had that fitted to a 998 and i've bolted it onto the 1275 in place of the cable clutch one. Is this ok.

So i take it i will need a new slave cylinder but will this bolt straight onto the top of the clutch housing and work fine with this clutch cover (no bracket needed). Also need a new hose for the slave cylinder.

I've managed to find the right bolts for that i asked for earlier thank you.

Dave could you sort these bits out for us?

cheers guys

Karl

#8 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:31 PM

You have fitted an A series diaphragm (pre verto) cutch cover and arm. This is not compatable with the Verto clutch on the 1275 A+. You are changing this because it was origonaly a cable clutch which the Metro used. You need to fit a verto cover with a short stumpy arm, then the clutch will work correctly and your slave cylinder (piston) will fit.

#9 kada1980

kada1980

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 608 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:44 PM

That sounds right, i thought the arm seemed longer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users