4 replies to this topic

#1 Maisy87

Maisy87

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

My battery loses it's charge after about a week of running it, this is a new occurance as I used to leave it sitting for weeks and just fire her up again. I've had a new battery and now a new alternator. I've done some tests and there is nothing draining the battery, so I assume the charge from the alternator is getting to the battery or the alternator isn't working. It was brand new from a shop so I find that hard to believe.

I've heard of a voltmeter thingy you can get to test if a charge is coming out of the alternator. Does anyone know if this is correct and if so any ideas on what one to get and where from? As I don't know.

Thanks, Cheryl

#2 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:38 PM

Yes a voltmeter connected across the battery should read over 13.5V with the engine running.

You shouldn't need to have one permanently connected though, a spot test will tell you all you need.

I work in Crewe, so could pop round with a voltmeter and measure it easy if you like. Will be there tomorrow, hopefully finishing midday, but there most days.

Wil

p.s. read your other post, I'm no good at welding.

#3 Maisy87

Maisy87

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 06:49 PM

That sounds like a great idea! Thank you! Where abouts are you? I'll fully charge the battery tonight so I should make it there and back.

#4 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:17 PM

I'm on Gresty road, but the problem on Sundays is security lock the gates, also, when i think about it I'll be out of the office for most of the morning. Might be easier if I come to you when I finish.

Wil

#5 Maisy87

Maisy87

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 07:35 PM

Oh yeah I know it. I'll PM you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users