4 replies to this topic

#1 77LeylandMini

77LeylandMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 03:26 PM

We really need to replace the steering rack on Michelle's car - is there any way we can replace it without dropping the subframe? Are we nuts to try this in the driveway on a jack? As always - thanks for your help!

#2 Kerrin

Kerrin

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,056 posts
  • Local Club: Manx Mini Register

Posted 22 January 2006 - 06:29 PM

I have changed racks in the past by removing the rear subframe mounts bulkhead and floor and dropping the subframe down on a jack so there is clearance for the rack to slide out. Maybe get it lose then lower the frame just enough.

Be carefull that the remaining two subframe mounts on the front valence are sound otherwise the whole subframe can drop. both of my current cars they had seperated and needed replacing (now solid mounted)

It is easier if you remove the Steering Column from inside the car. there are two ubolts which are loosened under the dash which are a bit awkward to get back on but not too bad. you need an assistant inside to put the nuts back on!

As always make sure car is supported and safe while you are lying underneath :lol:

K

#3 77LeylandMini

77LeylandMini

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:02 PM

I'll give it a go! Thanks for the help!

#4 clubman katie B.F

clubman katie B.F

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,524 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:22 PM

have done this job....you might be lucky doing it the above way.....i wasn't...i had to drop the engine and subbie right down to get the rack back on....give it a try

#5 mcneilljamie

mcneilljamie

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:49 PM

Remember to mark on the new rack the rough location of the track rod ends from the old rack. It'll not be perfect, but will do till you can take it to a local tyre place to get the tracking setup. I did this a while back, and it did take quite some time to do, so give yourself it, and a garage if possible!

PS: You'll need a ball joint splitter to!

Jamie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users