#1 ditz

ditz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:33 PM

Do indicators have to be on a stalk?
in other words, can i use two buttons on a steering wheel like the ones they use for nos and such as indicators.. push on push off type(cant think of a better description)?

And, does the ignition switch have to be where it is, can i put one on the dash?

im trying to figure out if there is a way to do away with the cover and everything under it under the steering wheel.

#2 Adrenaline Junkie

Adrenaline Junkie

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 783 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:35 PM

Do indicators have to be on a stalk?
in other words, can i use two buttons on a steering wheel like the ones they use for nos and such as indicators.. push on push off type(cant think of a better description)?

And, does the ignition switch have to be where it is, can i put one on the dash?

im trying to figure out if there is a way to do away with the cover and everything under it under the steering wheel.

Yes you can have them as buttons, and the ignition can be where you like it :lol:

#3 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:37 PM

I don't think you'd have any real issues with fitting them to the wheel (well, not any legal issues anyway).

#4 ditz

ditz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:37 PM

:grin: good good
thanks

#5 ditz

ditz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:39 PM

oohh.
hold on, just thought
i started an aprentaship in a garage that does M.O.T tests recently, and he tests for the indicators self cancelling on every car :sad:
does anybody know if its a requirement, if not i'll ask tommorow :wink:

#6 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

not all cars are fitted with self-cancelling indicators, what age is the mini? I can't remember if it is after a cetain age that they have to self cancel or not!

#7 ditz

ditz

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 05:45 PM

not all cars are fitted with self-cancelling indicators, what age is the mini? I can't remember if it is after a cetain age that they have to self cancel or not!

dont know i havent bought it yet :lol:
just have all these ideas floating about in my head, wondering if any of them will work :cheese:

cheers

#8 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 22 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

my 1990 cooper hasnt got self-cancelling indicators and has passed the last 12 MOTs :wink:

#9 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 11:28 PM

started an aprentaship in a garage that does M.O.T tests recently, and he tests for the indicators self cancelling on every car

I worked in a few garages that do MOTs
And as far as I now if they work its a pass
as you can't fail if not all cars have them
(probably a fussy fart :tongue: )

And as long as you put the indicator buttons near to the wheel you should be ok o
On that

You can put the ignition barrel where you want and can even wire up a push button starter

<karl>

#10 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:23 PM

But....

All cars built since a very long time ago are required to be immobilised when not running. The way that car makers decided to make this happen was to fit a steering lock as part of the ignition/run switch so that they work as an interlock. And yes you do still need basic mechanical immobilisation as well as electrical immobilisation. So technically you must keep the steering lock on the column even if you fit a push starter switch, and technically the run switch must be part of the steering lock still as it would not be legal to be able to run the engine with the steering imobilised. Yes that does mean that all these aftermarket run/start switch panels are technically illegal to use but people fit them anyway.
It's all very technical and boring but you should know that this is how it stands.

Oh and it is quite acceptable for indicators to self cancal by a timer rather than by turning the steering wheel, many people who sell parts to re-wire cars and bikes sell timers for this. The parts are more aimed at bikes, trucks or kit cars so have a look round the internet for the parts.

#11 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:33 PM

My TR7 was wired up so that the switch only allowed power to be on. It then had a button to operate the starter motor (because the switch was a rubbish design and couldn't take any current!). To switch it off, you turned the key to the off position.

(totally OT!)

#12 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 23 January 2006 - 10:51 PM

All cars built since a very long time ago are required to be immobilised when not running. The way that car makers decided to make this happen was to fit a steering lock as part of the ignition/run switch so that they work as an interlock. And yes you do still need basic mechanical immobilisation as well as electrical immobilisation. So technically you must keep the steering lock on the column even if you fit a push starter switch, and technically the run switch must be part of the steering lock still as it would not be legal to be able to run the engine with the steering imobilised. Yes that does mean that all these aftermarket run/start switch panels are technically illegal to use but people fit them anyway.
It's all very technical and boring but you should know that this is how it stands

Didn't know that :erm:

But i can understand why
Would stop you from driving off with no steering

karl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users