3 replies to this topic

#1 Dannny

Dannny

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:20 PM

i was just wondering if anyone knows how far you can tune a 998? its already got a stage 1 kit and ive inherited a lightweight flywheel, with it being a '74 ive already changed the wiring loom to fit the new flywheel and put the new starter on. I just can't think what to do next, so any suggestions would be appreciated

this is a small budget project so stay in the hundreds not the thousands!

cheers

#2 ed4ran

ed4ran

Cadwell Event organiser

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,849 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:26 PM

I guess the next step is to modify the head, as since you have a stage1 kit then you carb and exhaust dont exactly need to be changed.

A modified head will cost in the hundreds (depending on what you have done) and if its not Unleaded it would be a good time to do that as well.

Although pretty much any engineering place that does them on exchange basis will have already done an unleaded conversion.

Other steps would be changing cam (engine out job) and then your getting into a complete rebuild. If you strip the engine then you could get the block pocketed for a 1275 head, and you would only require a standard one, so could work out cheaper than getting work done to a 998 head.

After all that though its probably easier just to get a 1275 for instant power increase, just depends on insurance and how attached you are to the 998.

Im sure someone whos done lots of engine modding / tuning will tell you more, or shoot me in the leg.

:blink:

#3 Dannny

Dannny

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:28 PM

cheers man, its got a metro head already so im runnin unleaded already.

im having a look at cams and i think its time to build a winch in the garage :blink:

also its gotta stay 998 because its my first car and my insurance is costin me over £1000 a year as it is!

thanks again

#4 Dannny

Dannny

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:43 PM

hey just an update i purchased these cams on ebay (click to view) dirt cheap, when i get em and choose the one i want ill flog the other bits off so if anyone wants em let me know

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users