10 replies to this topic

#1 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:13 AM

my indicators work but my hazard lights dont. do they use different bulb or something or is it the switch and all that shizzle?

#2 nightroamer

nightroamer

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 246 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:19 AM

hazards use a different relay. indictors are wires through the hazard swith so its a sign that the problem is not with the hazard switch. also chack all feed and fuses.

#3 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:32 AM

they work on two different flasher units (Which I think is what NR is trying to say!?). The hazard flasher unit is normally by the clocks, and the indicator one on the bulkhead.

#4 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 11:34 AM

It's the other way round !!! Hazard one is on the bulkhead and, depending on the year of car, the indicator one will either be behind the clocks or also on the bulkhead.

#5 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 12:27 PM

Yeah ok so what can i do to make them work?

#6 jimbo_edmondo

jimbo_edmondo

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 01:54 PM

Buy new ones, they're cheap and should be easy to get at a motor factors somewhere.
Try taking the one from your indicators and swapping it for the hazard one see if they work then if they do then you need to go and buy a new hazard flasher unit.

#7 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:42 PM

to test if it is the relay, swap them over and if the hazards then work then you know it is the relay. If it doesnt fix it then you will need to check wiring and earths etc etc

#8 davexdavexdave

davexdavexdave

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:04 PM

well i just went out and tested them and now they work fine. (nice and reliable). so thanks every one but never mind anymore!!

#9 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:35 PM

It's the other way round !!! Hazard one is on the bulkhead and, depending on the year of car, the indicator one will either be behind the clocks or also on the bulkhead.

Nope, if there's a seperate flasher for the indicators then it's behind the instruments. Later cars where there is an indicator realy on the bulkhead use a different system with only one flasher and in this case the unit for the indicators really is just a normal relay.

Just because the indicators work doesn't mean it's not the hazard switch. I have always found the hazard switch to be the most common cause of weird indicator system faults.

#10 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:03 PM

Nope, if there's a seperate flasher for the indicators then it's behind the instruments.

Late 70's cars with centre clocks have the indicator flasher also on the bulkhead near the hazard flasher not behind the clocks!!!!

#11 Add_Gee

Add_Gee

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 225 posts

Posted 27 January 2006 - 11:44 AM

My old '85 city had both relays on the bulkhead...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users