12 replies to this topic

#1 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:33 PM

HI, the mrs 1293 is a bit smokey now, and to be honest its not really what she needs, a 998 would surfice. I was wondering how many hours labour I am looking at for a mini engine swap.

I have done various swaps in the past MI16 205's etc, but always find working on the mini too fiddly. So just wondered what it would cost for a pro to do the job?

#2 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,921 posts
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:39 PM

If all goes well the engine can be out in 2 hours.

Allow 4 hours for putting it back in and getting it running.

Can be done in a day easy.

#3 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:45 PM

Assuming nothing goes wrong and you don't need to replace any parts. Sometimes you can get one thing that has rusted or something that takes a hour or two just to sort out!

#4 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:51 PM

as i say I have done engine swaps in the past so I understand that, sods law usually too!!

I have been considering getting a local lad to do the swap and offering him the 1293 engine (nicely specced) for doing it! if he provides a good 998

#5 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:53 PM

Yeah - I know my engine will pretty much jump out now, its been in and out so many times.

But as Jammy says, if there are rusted or siezed components then it can take time, but if I'm honest the only things that are possibly going to give problems are:

- The bottom hose - cut through it and have a new one ready to fit

- Bottom radiator bolt - engine can be removed with the rad in place, its just a bit tighter - deal with that bolt once engine is out

- Pot joints - a special tool is 'required' to remove these from the output shafts, but usually they come off easy enough using a lever - just be careful of damaging the diff casing

That should be about it really :blink:

Tom

#6 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 03:57 PM

what do you mean by pot joints mate?

#7 Purple Tom

Purple Tom

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,921 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:00 PM

pot joints - or inner CV joints - they're the cv joint which transmit the power from the output shafts of the diff to the driveshafts then to the hub.

You need to split the top ball joint and trackrod end ball joint to remove them (as pivoting the hubs outwards allows the pot joint to be pulled out of the gearbox, therefore meaning the engine can be lifted).

Before you remove the pot joints though, drain the engine oil, else it will gush everywhere, the inner edge of the joints act as an oil seal in conjunction with the output shaft seal.

#8 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:01 PM

The only other thing I can think of is if you have a servo. Firstly I've sheered one of the pedal box studs off before trying to get one of the nuts off to get the servo off. The other thing is that I now have a hatred of brake unions. I can usually undo them, but trying to bolt them back together is always a PITA, on my clubby I ended up having to replace the pressure valve and most of the brake lines, simply because they either wouldn't undo, or because they cross threaded when going back together.

#9 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:02 PM

If you're doing a straight swap, make sure you have your new engine ready and built, rad on, starter motor alternator etc etc, so it is, out drop back in, it's amaizing how much time is spent changing bits...

Did grotbags in 3 hours, one out another one in.. only problem is it took a week to find out the dizzy was earthing and cause a short in the loom ( poof ! )

#10 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:12 PM

another complication is the box on the 1293 is pretty new, so I would want to transfer that too. never played with a mini g/box before!

#11 Guess-Works.com

Guess-Works.com

Gearbox Guru

• Traders
  • 19,838 posts
  • Local Club: Rugby Classic Mini Owners Club

Posted 26 January 2006 - 04:19 PM

Add a couple or three hours then as you'll be taking the engine apart

#12 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 05:48 PM

i reckon you would be better doing the swap yourself as the engine you have got is worth more if you sell it. I seem to remeber reading is was a very nice spec

#13 Gwynny

Gwynny

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 06:24 PM

yeah is a nice spec, have had someone PM me regarding buying it already. See what he offers then see if I can find a nice 998.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users