TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:39 PM

Its very unlikely to affect insurance however you should still tell them

they wont give a hoot.

Im sure you would if they decided not to pay out on a claim you make...

One important thing to remember is that you are legally obliged to inform insurers of any modifications that you do. This is vitally important as failing to declare them can potentially invalidate your entire insurance policy. This would mean in the event of you making a claim, and the insurers discovering an undisclosed modification to your car, you could be left high and dry with a null and void policy. The modification disclosure rule is normally found in the terms and conditions of a policy, with the onus very much on the policyholder having to inform the insurer, and not the other way round like many seem to believe.

its not a modification, all the parts hes added would be part of a service at a garage. all hes done is save a few quid and do it at home.
would you tell the insurer youve had your car serviced?

#17 minikidx14

minikidx14

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Name: Ross

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:48 PM

they wont give a hoot.

One important thing to remember is that you are legally obliged to inform insurers of any modifications that you do. This is vitally important as failing to declare them can potentially invalidate your entire insurance policy. This would mean in the event of you making a claim, and the insurers discovering an undisclosed modification to your car, you could be left high and dry with a null and void policy. The modification disclosure rule is normally found in the terms and conditions of a policy, with the onus very much on the policyholder having to inform the insurer, and not the other way round like many seem to believe.

its not a modification, all the parts hes added would be part of a service at a garage. all hes done is save a few quid and do it at home.
would you tell the insurer youve had your car serviced?

Im not sure how much you have read about what he has done to his car but the hoses have been changed to 'performance' blue hoses aswell as blue ht leads and an alloy rocker cover. Im pretty sure the car wasnt built with these items fitted.

If i beleaved it may cause a problem in the future, yes i would inform my insurers if i had 'modified' my car in any way from standard.

#18 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:51 PM

performance blue hoses thats the funniest thing ive heard, they dont offer an increase in performance.
the colour of the HT leads is also irrelevant.

#19 minikidx14

minikidx14

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 10:59 PM

performance blue hoses thats the funniest thing ive heard, they dont offer an increase in performance.
the colour of the HT leads is also irrelevant.

Performance may not be the right term to use but they are not standard hoses so should be told about to an insurer.

+ silicone hoses can withstand a higher tempreture and pressure so could be refered to as a performance item.

The colour is relevent because its a modification, so should be told about to an insurer.

#20 Midas Mk1

Midas Mk1

Crazy About Mini's

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,642 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:05 PM

Dont want to sound rude here, but have you told your insurance about every component modification/colour of your car???

The list would be endless.

If I rang my insurers, telling them I'd gone for blue ht leads instead of traditional black, they'd be charging me for wasting their time?? O_O

#21 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

• Members
  • 4,393 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:06 PM

Dont want to sound rude here, but have you told your insurance about every component modification/colour of your car???

If I rang my insurers, telling them I'd gone for blue ht leads instead of traditional black, they'd be charging me for wasting their time?? O_O

finally someone with sense.

i have chrome valve caps best modify my policy.

#22 minikidx14

minikidx14

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:08 PM

On my current car i have told them all the modifications including yellow headlight bulbs and non standard sized tyres. If i crashed i would like to think my insurer would pay out.

Please be careful when answering peoples technical questions that you do not misguide them into taking inappropriate action.

Not only is this annoying, but it can also be costly and could even be dangerous if the wrong information is given.

If the OP went out tomorrow and crashed their car and their insures didnt pay out because of the rocker cover and silicone hoses what would you do after telling them it was fine not to tell them?

#23 minikidx14

minikidx14

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:10 PM

finally someone with sense.

i have chrome valve caps best modify my policy.

If you had a blowout doing 70 down the motorway and killed 3 people and your insurers found the valve caps to blame for the accident what would you do?

#24 Daviewonder

Daviewonder

Needs an extra inch!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,015 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:16 PM

Take them back to the shop?

#25 minikidx14

minikidx14

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:31 PM

Admiral -

Non Standard Parts/Modifications
Fitted parts or alterations which:
n Affect the insured vehicles’ cosmetic
appearance and/or performance and/
or mechanical make up
n Are not made or sold by the vehicle
manufacturer, or parts which differ
from the original manufacturer’s
specification

Direct line-

Modifications – any changes to your car’s standard specification, including
optional extras. These include, but are not restricted to, changes to the
appearance and/or the performance of your car (including wheels,
suspension, bodywork and engine) and include changes made to your car by
the previous owner(s).

#26 Cooperman

Cooperman

Uncle Cooperman, Voted Mr TMF 2011

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 23,039 posts
  • Local Club: MCR, HAMOC, Chelmsford M.C.

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:39 PM

they wont give a hoot.

But none of that is any sort of modification. If you feel it is, then you should inform the insurer if you change from, say, Castrol oil to Millers Oil, or from Dunlop to Falken tyres, or fit a non-genuine front wing There is no need to inform the insurers of routine maintenance and repairs and your engine can be any colour you like. I always paint my engines original BMC green unless asked to do otherwise. You don't seriously think an insurer is going to try to void a claim on the basis of wrong colour engine block do you.

#27 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,781 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:51 PM

But none of that is any sort of modification. If you feel it is, then you should inform the insurer if you change from, say, or from Dunlop to Falken tyres,

Now back when we had all that snow last december I did recall hearing that some insurers voided peoples policies for fitting non-standard specification snow tyres.

#28 minikidx14

minikidx14

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:53 PM

they wont give a hoot.

But none of that is any sort of modification. If you feel it is, then you should inform the insurer if you change from, say, Castrol oil to Millers Oil, or from Dunlop to Falken tyres, or fit a non-genuine front wing There is no need to inform the insurers of routine maintenance and repairs and your engine can be any colour you like. I always paint my engines original BMC green unless asked to do otherwise. You don't seriously think an insurer is going to try to void a claim on the basis of wrong colour engine block do you.

If i beleve that a modification i make will effect an insurance pay out of course i will tell my insurers. The point im trying to make is all modifications from standard should be declaired to your insurers. Most small items wont even put the price up so its silly not too tell them.

Would you rarther spend 5 minutes on the phone declairing all mod's most likely not affecting the cost OR find out after you crash your car that they wont pay out due to modifications.

If you change the make of oil, tyre or wing and its of the same specification as the standard item there wouldnt be a problem However if you fit fibreglass wings and avon moulded slicks (road legal) then i beleve your insurance company should be informed. Where do you draw the line? Tyre valves? window tint? high performance engine?

These days you never know what is going to happen. When i crashed my moped a few years ago my insurer wouldnt pay out as i had fitted different wheels and tyres. They beleved i wouldnt of crashed if the standard items were fitted.

#29 minikidx14

minikidx14

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts

Posted 15 August 2011 - 11:58 PM

Basicly, If your car if modified in any way from standard you SHOULD tell your insurer. If you dont then you COULD (might not) find they wont pay out in result of an accident. I beleve 5 minutes on the phone is worth not having to worry about not getting payed out.

#30 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 16 August 2011 - 01:22 PM

Basicly, If your car if modified in any way from standard you SHOULD tell your insurer. If you dont then you COULD (might not) find they wont pay out in result of an accident. I beleve 5 minutes on the phone is worth not having to worry about not getting payed out.

I see you point but it gets silly if you list everything that moves away from standard.
Do you use the standard break pads? or a non OEM pair of disks (not upgraded just not rover/austin)?

My whole interior is custom made only 4 or 5 things are standard, Flux stopped me listing it all and just put 'Custom interior' as one item.

The point is just because its not OEM does not make it a MOD, and although it wont put the price up at the time of renewal and changes you make mid term will cost you an admin fee. I'm not incurring a 25 quid charge just to tell them i've got a new set of Bridgestones fitted!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users