#1 Bones

Bones

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:37 PM

'Lo folks,

I'm in the middle of sorting out my City and have got myself two new doors - do you have any tips of how to get them on properly?

Bones

#2 Sprocket

Sprocket

Great on Injection faults

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts
  • Local Club: Manchester Minis

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:53 PM

Brute force in the right place :cheese:

#3 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 08:54 PM

Yup, new doors won't ever fit your car as well as the originals did. Mini shells are essentially hand built and on the production line they used an array of large hammers and hydraulic rams to adjust the door frames of each shell to exactly fit the doors it was mated with at birth. Unless you have body shop rams and ten years of experience then you will be very lucky to get an exact match. Buy some spare shims for the hinges and push and pull till you get a pleasing panel gap and alignment. Remember also that the position of the door latch hoop can be adjusted to pull the rear of the door in or out, but preferably not up or down or you'll stress the hinges. Vertically you should just align the latch hoop with where the latch arrives when the door closes which will give you nice easy closing doors and try to make sure that they still latch easily even with the door seals back on.

Edited by Dan, 26 January 2006 - 08:57 PM.

#4 chairchild

chairchild

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 09:17 PM

damn - thats why my new door doesnt want to line-up properly :nugget:

#5 Woody

Woody

Ring Runner 2005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,763 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 10:34 PM

As Dan says , also it is somtimes usefull to file the hinge bolt holes a bit to get the hight of the front of the door right (you can safely go half a hole each side )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users