#16 998dave

998dave

998cc's Of Dave Goodness

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,566 posts
  • Name: Dave

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:32 PM

glad to see things are moving on... think i may have a scrappy old air filte and duct, but not sure... might be able to check weds if need be!

Dave

#17 dayzee

dayzee

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:10 PM

glad to see things are moving on... think i may have a scrappy old air filte and duct, but not sure... might be able to check weds if need be!

Dave

:cool: drop me a line with details if you do come across something

choke will have to hang on for a bit. Im coming to the end of my work contract, when I get the next one it'll be next on the list.

weirdly baldrick is running better and better the more stuff I find broken/missing on it. Really its a miracle it goes!!

#18 dayzee

dayzee

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:32 PM

heres the inside of baldrick.. you may spot some interesting application of silver sticky tape and green wire. This is holding the choke cable steady..

oh and the lack of pipe between air filter and engine..

can anyone spot any other obvious stuff that I should be aware of?

Attached Files

Edited by dayzee, 31 January 2006 - 12:33 PM.

#19 dayzee

dayzee

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:34 PM

...and this is the view from the side of the dashboard, at the choke cable - you can see the inner cable mostly and then where the outer cable starts.

from what Ive gathered here, that black out cable should run all the way up to the dash.

Attached Files

#20 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 06:51 PM

can anyone spot any other obvious stuff that I should be aware of?

You still have that foam on the bulkhead that soaks up water then rots the metal behind

And looks to have overheated in the past

#21 dayzee

dayzee

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:21 PM

ooo - so ripping out the foam is a good idea??? sounds like something I could do

what gave away the overheating? the dodgy colour of the radiator??? mustve been before I got it, because I never see it getting hotter that 1/3 way up the temp gauge.

I suspect the rad lid is easily not put on tight, keep getting splashes on the bonnet after driving (in the dry) and a possible leak where the pipe is - need to tighten the clip.

#22 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 11:45 PM

so ripping out the foam is a good idea??? sounds like something I could doooo

But this will increase notice inside the cabin but not by much
Would get used to it after a while
If you do find any rust clean off with wire brush / sand paper back to bare metal
and paint with a few coats of hammerite (what i've done)

what gave away the overheating? the dodgy colour of the radiator??? mustve been before I got it, because I never see it getting hotter that 1/3 way up the temp gauge.

What gave it away was the brown ish colour around the rad
Also means there is a lot of rust in the system or the coolant hasn’t been changed for a while (every 2 years)

keep getting splashes on the bonnet after driving (in the dry) and a possible leak where the pipe is - need to tighten the clip.

do yo have a pipe on the top of the rads overflow that runs down the back? (see pic near wiper motor)
he splashes could be the coolant expanding and coming out of the overflow near the radiator cap

#23 dayzee

dayzee

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:50 AM

do yo have a pipe on the top of the rads overflow that runs down the back? (see pic near wiper motor)
he splashes could be the coolant expanding and coming out of the overflow near the radiator cap

Ill have another look at the rad.. thanks for the hints.. !!
:lol:

#24 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 11:52 AM

The picture of your choke cable actually looks OK, it's just the plastic wraper that's come away not the actual outer cable. You will get better choke operation if you straighten out the run of the cable, pull it back into the car and lift it over that heater pipe before you put it back. Although if you're having trouble it may be best to replace it anyway, just run the new one as straight as you can.

#25 dayzee

dayzee

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 01 February 2006 - 06:49 PM

The picture of your choke cable actually looks OK, it's just the plastic wraper that's come away not the actual outer cable.  You will get better choke operation if you straighten out the run of the cable, pull it back into the car and lift it over that heater pipe before you put it back.  Although if you're having trouble it may be best to replace it anyway, just run the new one as straight as you can.

thx for the hint... and yeah, new choke cable and outer is next on the ebay list after payday - now I have one that works almost right, the engine is being MUCH better at starting up and not stalling.. figure it must have had the choke stuck on quite alot.

PS: just noticed your Red Bull ignition coil!! I want to Broon Ale one..
:cool:

Edited by dayzee, 01 February 2006 - 06:51 PM.

#26 dayzee

dayzee

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 05:02 PM

I do have the overflow pipe (at least thats one thing it does have) but I think I have a leak still - probably the main pipe by the looks of it. I drove it today and stoppped and popped the bonnet and it was STEEEEAMIN

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users