But what colour to go??

#47 Ben_O

Ben_O

Mill Road Garage

• Paint Doctor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,781 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 12:48 AM

This is fantastic! How many of us can say we restored our car with it propped up on some old barrels and carried out the work in a straw hat and flip flops!

Seriously though there is some serious craftsmanship going on here. The cut and shut method is not legal in this country as we know but that aside, you can hardly call it cobbled or bodged but done the propper way!

I used to laugh at this old boy at work who used to sit and weld with the oxy torch while the rest of us were using modern Mig and mig braze machines, but then he used to laugh at us too for not being good enough to do it the proper way. Thing is, i reckon he was right! Although modern car construction has no place for a oxy torch! lol

Love the style too with the arches and internal door hinges.

Look forward to the future updates.

Ben

#48 Richard1

Richard1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:25 AM

Getting closer. Mirror holes in fenders and doors, plus light rust in doors are filled, cowl is fixed, and windshield frame now has final touches. Although it has drippings from sanding, the engine compartment is the final color - Flame Red

right_side.jpg
left_side.jpg
front_left.jpg
right_front-cowl.jpg

#49 Richard1

Richard1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

Looks like I forgot to post the progress, so while more details are on my site (signature), here is the latest. Much of this was a few weeks ago when on two trips I camped out in the body shop working on little things to keep the pressure (by my presence) on my body guy until he finished.

After adapting the fuel pump to the tank, I cleaned it again and sealed it with epoxy.

gas_tank_ready_to_seal.jpg
interior_sealed.jpg
exterior_painted.jpg

Put in the LED lights

LED_tailights.jpg

And finally, after sealing the edges of the bed with foam, the paint:

front_finished.jpg
right_front_finished.jpg
left_front_finished.jpg
left_rear_finished.jpg
tailgate_down.jpg
1975_Morris_Mini_pickup_with_Richard.jpg

Then I added Fatmat to the roof and floor,

fatmat_roof.jpg
fatmat_floor.jpg

I put the seats in temporarily to see the fit

Interior.jpg

#50 slidehammer

slidehammer

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,081 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:13 AM

Great looking project, love the quality of the fabrication and the final colour.

#51 Jared Mk3

Jared Mk3

Has a small thing but it does make a difference

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,974 posts
  • Local Club: MOCKZN

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

All I can say is, WOW! Stunning job, made even more stunning by the lack of available parts. Great job.

#52 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 05 April 2015 - 07:56 AM

Great build! Looks super, now enjoy which I'm sure you are :D

#53 One step at a time

One step at a time

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 05 April 2015 - 08:26 AM

This is another fantastic build with serious great fab work. Love the little mods, what's your final plans?

#54 Richard1

Richard1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 21 July 2015 - 12:37 AM

I guess I should update a bit.

After getting the wiring and module for the computer, I found someone who could diagnose the computer and replace a diode. The engine runs great, but putting it in gear spat out oil from around the filter. After widening the groove and using a thicker gasket, it still refused to move the wheels--just spitting oil.

So I pulled the power train again and checked the valve block, not finding anything wrong. Then started on the clutch pack and found the presure plate broken in pieces and the discs bent. So at the moment I'm waiting on parts from KM Precision Engineering.

clutch_plate.jpg Clutch_plates.jpg cracked_disc.jpg broken_plate.jpg

While waiting I upholstered the roof

cutting_fabric.jpg spraying_glue_on_fabric.jpg spraying_glue_on_roof.jpg headliner_finished.jpg

And installed the third brake light

LED_brake_light.jpg

And did some more modifications to the frame so the automatic transmission would fit easier, then sanded and painted it again.

frame_repainted.jpg

Also replaced the rubber cones with springs that will be better on our cobblestone streets.

rear_spring_installed.jpg left_rear_spring_installed.jpg repainted_and_springs_installed.jpg

#55 frodmyster

frodmyster

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 213 posts

Posted 29 July 2015 - 09:39 PM

How did you get the rear alloy trumpets to that mirror finish ? Excellent thread this is 👍👍👍 top work

#56 Richard1

Richard1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:45 PM

How did you get the rear alloy trumpets to that mirror finish ?

On the original trupets I polished as I do with all aluminum or stainless, starting with sandpaper (often start with 220, but if no big scratches, 360 or so, working my way up to 1000 grit, then buffer with compound.

On the new adjustables, they came nice. I sold the trumpets.

#57 Richard1

Richard1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:48 PM

Last month I got back and installed all of the transmission parts, reinstalled the engine, wired it, etc. It runs nicely now, so I drove it to the body shop for the touch-up. He had promised to finish Thursday, so I flew back, and of course it was not ready. Now says tomorrow or Tuesday. So I started on the carpet, then took yesterday morning off to makd a handle/knob for the transmission using the dead walnut tree in my back yard.

tree.jpg trunk_on_lathe.jpg cutting_on_lathe.jpg piece_on_lathe.jpg sanding_knob.jpg finished_knob.jpg

#58 java gt

java gt

Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Local Club: Irish Mini Owners Club

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:01 PM

Love the internal hinges on this pickup,it is a credit to you and your bodyshop.

#59 David128

David128

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:51 PM

Awesome skills particularly loved the welding so old school.. Brought back some of my best memories. 

#60 Richard1

Richard1

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

The day has come. 99% finished...... Just have to go back to work for a week before my Christmas trip to DC.

right%20rear.jpg interior.jpg side_with-richard.jpg left_side_with_richard.jpg front_with_richard.jpg front.jpg left_front.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users