3 replies to this topic

#1 tomjohnson

tomjohnson

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 September 2011 - 09:42 PM

Hi all, thought it about time I started a build thread as I picked my kit last Friday.

The names Tom and I'm building a race spec Hayabusa with stepdad Kieron. This wasn’t always the plan though, the build started about 5 years ago when we heard about Zcars and went for a look round. We both got a demo in the Honda powdered mini by Chris and decided this was the way forward!
Kit ordered it was time to find a shell and an engine.

This is the mini we got;

Posted Image

As with most minis when we got it stripped out, it turned out to be a complete rot box! So we set about patching her up. Next we found an engine, picked it up and took it straight down to Zcars to be fitted.

And that’s about where the build ends, Kieron moved and started his own business, I changed jobs meaning I was away every week and the mini got shelved!

That's until earlier this year when I asked if Kieron fancied starting it back up again, so we got in contact with Zcars and they said they had been a few changes and we should go down to see them. Turns out Zcars had used our engine and almost every other part of the kit.

This is when the Hayabusa kit came too life!

Zcars agreed to build us a race spec kit for the uses of our Honda engine and since then it’s been all go!

We decide the old shell wasn’t fit for purpose so we’d get another, I found this one on eBay just down the road and as it had already been stripped out and listed as not been in to bad condition I won her.

Shell mK2;

Posted Image

I set about getting the subframes off and getting her cut out, easy enough, but what a surprise, MORE ROT!! :xxx:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Been a fabricator/welder I thought I’d have a go at replacing the rotten panels myself, how hard can it be!! (turns out very!!) All so as some bright spark in the past had used both front floor pans to jack up on I thought I’d replace these as well.

I managed to get my hands on a bead blaster so I gave her a once over. This found even more rot!

From this;

Posted Image

To this;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

So from been a bit of rot, has changed into me replacing, 2 floor pans, 2 inner wings and 2 outer sills plus cutting out and patching any other holes I find on the way. (Nightmare!!) :(

So for the last few months I've been grinding, cutting and welding alongside trolling the web for any bargains I can get my hands on. So far I've managed to get a new wilwood pedal box for £87, two new Kirkey seats with covers for £400 and a whole load of over stuff. (Surprising how much you can save if your prepared to shop around) Also only living 15 minutes away from Zcars I've been going there seeing how the kit was coming along and ordering extras!

Managed to get some pics of the kit been made;

Posted Image

Posted Image

And the following week in powder coat;

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tried to get a close up the powder coating, Orange with a Gold speckle.

Posted Image

Then on Friday it was time to collect the beauty!! :w00t:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Took a box a bits home to have a look through and as I thought there's a few bits missing :dozing: so will have to get in contact with Z’s. But apart from that I’m very happy. Kieron hasn’t seen it all yet as he’s always busy working away. :cry:

Next task is to get the shell finished and get the front sub assembled, this will probably take a few weeks as I can only work on it at weekend, (working half 6 till 6 week day)

Haven't sourced an engine yet so if anybody knows of one please let us know and if anybody’s got any tips and advice it will be much appreciated

Cheers

Tom

#2 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 05 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

Tom

Welcome to the fold, or should I say welcome back to the fold.

I have been looking into Hayabusa motors for my next project and the only advice I can really impart is to have a look on eBay.com not UK, check shipping costs with suppliers and you'll find you're gonna get more for your money. Returns might be a problem as you would normally have to cover the cost of a return the states but your getting exactly the same engine, all produced in Japan for less money.

I look forward to reading the build diary

Andy

Edited by cptkirk, 05 September 2011 - 10:27 AM.

#3 tomjohnson

tomjohnson

Passed Test

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:57 PM

Hi Andy

Thanks for the welcome, been meaning to start a build thread for weeks but never got round to it.

You’re thinking of starting another Zcars build! :o Wasn’t the first one stressful enough?! And by the way a big well done for 'THE BEAST' and a great build diary.

Your right about looking of ebay.com, I’ve looked before and thought 'what a bargain' but then when you convert the shipping its usually around another £5/600 so works old nearly the same. Also like you say there’s the chance of it not been right and having to send it back at your expense.

As for my build, I’ve got the front subframe in the living room (so i don’t miss Hollyoaks or Emmerdale) had a go at assembling it last night but I’m missing all the spacers for the rose joints :angry: so it’s another trip to Z's on Friday. (bet their sick of seeing me now)

Tom

#4 cptkirk

cptkirk

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,799 posts
  • Local Club: B.M.C. + Chiminiclub

Posted 07 September 2011 - 07:25 AM

Tom

My next project is not a Zcar, I am going to build from scratch, myself and a mate Stevie G are going to build a Hillclimb/Sprint mini and double drive it at the events, should be fun.

Good luck with the project.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users