Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:40 AM

I wholeheartedly agree with Shifty and Juju above so I've 'liked' them

Was the other topic not posted up in the regional sections when it first appeared? I thought thats what it was there for?

#17 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,847 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

Would you have read or replied to a post of mine if I had specifically put 'London Area' in the title...........?

I personally don't reply to some very basic questions as in the 'internet age' it shows the person is being lazy.............most of the answers to those types of questions have been asked many times before and are very easily found with a quick search on TMF or google. Many of us had to find out the hard way in the past by actually reading/buying a book or manual which is still a pretty good idea for beginners to do......then start asking on the forums when you get to the less obvious and more difficult stuff and many of us will gladly help.

Edited by mab01uk, 06 October 2011 - 11:57 AM.

#18 kenny&shanice

kenny&shanice

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 06 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

Looks like a sore subject, its just my personal opinion from my own experiance, I to dont think there is anyone nasty / not willing to help on TMF, I just found the lack of response (ZERO) a bit of a shame. I put a post of here about free mini bits in blackpool and I had people for all over the uk contact me who were willing to traverl to collect stuff. But no one was to help sick, dying kids. The topic was titled "Calling all Blackpool mini owners" I thought is was pretty clear that if u live in scotland, london, oz or the states, then thats probably something your not going to be interested in...

Insurance should not be a problem (Adrian Flux are happy with me doing it as im not charging, they said yiur visiting the children at the home and taking them through the lights not ferrrying tourists up and down the promonade for profit)

Also no CRB check is required as you will never be alone with the children.

This is why I sasked for anyone who may be interested to get in touch for questions / more info.

I know this is not just the opinion of myself as I do know a few local people who are on TMF and think exactely the same

Perhaps its just my way of thinking.

Sorry If I have offended anyone

Edited by kenny&shanice, 06 October 2011 - 11:58 AM.

#19 Juju

Juju

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,620 posts
  • Local Club: Antisocial club (members = 1)

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:14 PM

I don't think you've offended anybody yet, but you might well do if you carry on having a pop at Blackpudlians (is that right? :huh: ) for not wanting to help out in your charity work!

#20 Claibo

Claibo

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Local Club: DCMOC

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:17 PM

I've not long since joined, and find this forum to be a really nice close knit forum community, you're right it is a shame that you've had no responses, but as said before, wouldn't it have been a good idea to post that in the regional threads?
Also, if you wanted to attract more nationwide attention, perhaps by not being too specific in the title in the mini chat thread, and explaining a little more on what work "Donna's Dream House" does people might be more inclined to post. People are often weary of the unknown, and by putting the facts down straight away might give people a little more of an idea of what they're getting themselves into. I'm sure you'd rather no one sign up than 10 or 20 people say they'd get involved and then never turn up?
Also, I've noticed that threads seem to get way-laid if they're posted at times where alot of new threads and posts are being made, they end up going to the bottom of the list and start to gather dust, this is why the "Bump" comments are so handy.

#21 Timty

Timty

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts
  • Local Club: S.U.N.M.C.

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:20 PM

I think it's a lovely thing your doing and if my mini was on the road i would most certainly help, although i would have to supply earplugs for my exhaust! >_< Keep up the good work and dont get too dipondant! :thumbsup:

#22 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,442 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:38 PM

Sounds like you're connecting 2 different issues,

Users can choose which topics to reply to, more complex issues are likely to attract more complex, and longer, replies. There are also likely to be differing opinions which will lead to more replies. You are right that we shouldn't dismiss what might seem trivial, or old, questions to us though. By the same merit more people will be able to provide the answer 'n I hope no one is intimidated from helping a fellow TMF'er just because they can't rebuild a gearbox wearing a blindfold 'n boxing gloves.

Your Illuminations taxi scheme is commendable 'n exactly what TMF is for, but it is a fairly big ask to that a limited number of TMF readers could take up. Claibo is right, a softly softly approach might help, try organising some non committal activities to make initial contact. If you had a group of enthusiasts enjoying a Mini run it would be a smaller step to a run through Blackpool with a few passengers.

This was a popular event in your neck of the woods, maybe pm'ing some of the participants could get you started.

#23 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 06 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

Being titled "Calling all blackpool mini owners" could be you wanting to give people a heads up as a mini you know locally has been stolen or any number of things, even though there is a stolen section here if it was mine I would be posting it in every available section as I would want to get the word out, well thats how I would've read it so I would've read the topic thinking the same thing (I never actually saw your original topic and couldn't offer any help anyway) not everyone knows about the 'preview' button before going into a topic aswell so there view does not mean they refused to help it means they wanted to know what it was about

Whether it makes a difference or not you posted it a couple of days after some weekend mini events (castle combe for one) so theres always alot of traffic around the topics and everything moves down the list quickly

Put it in the regional sections and hopefully you'll get the people you need, good luck

#24 firefox

firefox

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,102 posts
  • Local Club: will find one when on the road

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:40 PM

Is this what you want and i am a noobi
http://www.theminifo...l=&fromsearch=1

#25 Wil_h

Wil_h

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,244 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 07:30 AM

Gettig people to give up their free time to help any charity is a big ask, no natter how worthy you think the cause is. I think it is rude that you are slating members of this forum just because no-one wanted to help (for whatever reason).

I give up plenty of my time to help charities local to me and would never dream of posting on a national forum for help, mainly because I'd expect the response you have got.

You need thick skin to organise what you are doing, you'll soon realise that people are not always as giving as you would expect (especially of their hard earned free time).

As for asking questions about minis, why should people on here, that don't get paid, spend time re-writing what Haynes did a better job of 40 years ago?

#26 Sam14

Sam14

TMF Mug

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,221 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

Title changed to "Contacting all mini forum users and owner" may have got all our attention. Or putting the charity in the title as all mini owners are always up for doing things for charity and maybe post it in your area part of the forum.

The forum has always been welcoming and helpful to me, even though i do post and ask weird and odd things haha

#27 Black.Ghost

Black.Ghost

Formerly known as TneMini.

• TMF+ Member
  • 2,567 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 09:39 AM

On the plus side, your previous thread might have had 0 replies, but at least you got some to this one!

Things like this are always risky. My sister works with cadets, and she always has issues with travel and new helpers etc.

I'd be surprised if you could do that without a CRB check, they are getting really hot on that. And what would happen if they driver had a crash? Insurance or not, I guarantee someone would try and sue you. Worse than that, imagine if one of the kids had been lost or abducted while someone was looking after them. I know you say they would never be alone with the kids but still could have been an issue. It's a minefield. I know it sucks that it appears no one wanted to help, but there will be good reasons for it. Also, if people from outside Blackpool helped you, they would be spending potentially a fair bit on petrol, and you need to remember people can't rally afford it at the moment. I know it sucks for the poor kids, no one likes to see kids suffering.

This is a freindly forum overall. I recently joined bikeradar.com, and believe me this is a much friendlier place than that!

#28 Ethel

Ethel

..is NOT a girl!

• TMF Team
  • 25,442 posts
  • Local Club: none

Posted 07 October 2011 - 11:56 AM

You wouldn't need Crb or special insurance arrangements if you're doing it for free (but you could inform your broker to be safe).

As long as it's not a regular event and you're not on your own with the kids it'll be fine, the same rules for parents helping out kids football teams will apply. It'd be the hospice's responsibility, I'm sure they'd tell you what's needed.

#29 kenny&shanice

kenny&shanice

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • Local Club: Fylde Mini Club

Posted 07 October 2011 - 03:59 PM

Gettig people to give up their free time to help any charity is a big ask, no natter how worthy you think the cause is. I think it is rude that you are slating members of this forum just because no-one wanted to help (for whatever reason).

I give up plenty of my time to help charities local to me and would never dream of posting on a national forum for help, mainly because I'd expect the response you have got.

You need thick skin to organise what you are doing, you'll soon realise that people are not always as giving as you would expect (especially of their hard earned free time).

As for asking questions about minis, why should people on here, that don't get paid, spend time re-writing what Haynes did a better job of 40 years ago?

Please qoute where I have slated anyone on here, thanks !

#30 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:06 PM

Hi All,

To me its like some people only want to reply when something shows there skills (or a freebie is on offer).

Also I have seen a dramastic drop in the number of reply to noobies, and also comment like "try introducing yourself first, before asking for help"

I just find it abit of putting to new commers, and people wanting basic answers.

I posted this http://www.theminifo...l=&fromsearch=1 152 people viewed and not 1 reply,

I think this is a real shame...

Comments Please !

I think Wil meant the tone of your post was critical of TMF users/members for not responding. I do understand where your coming from trying to help a good cause, but the sad fact is we are in a depression and time, money (petrol) is an issue for most of us.

If you were nearer I'd try to help, but I would worry even after speaking to my insurance company about liability in the remote chance of an accident

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users