chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  • Local Club: BOGMOG

Posted 14 May 2016 - 06:33 AM

That's disgusting!

Yeah but on the bright side it's dealt with now, if the engine runs okay 😁 Some point over the next week or so with a bit of luck!

Chris

#33 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:45 PM

IMG_5161.jpg

struggling to get spark at the moment as per the post in questions and technical but it is coming on.... sort of.

Discovered the breather needs changing with the servo going in as well as having to relocate the brake limiter.

Orders going in friday to finish the breaks and get a clutch master and whatnot. slowly but surely. kind of.

#34 pete l

pete l

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,360 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

Hi, 

can you talk me through how you changed your primary gear bushes ? did you have to have one of them reemed to size ?

#35 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:17 PM

Hi, 

can you talk me through how you changed your primary gear bushes ? did you have to have one of them reemed to size ?

To Be honest it was a bit of a struggle. I cant remember the clearances off the top of my head (they're in the haynes manual).

However in short:

• Removed old ones
  • Pressed in new
  • Mic'd the crank
  • Reamed the smaller of the two to size with a H5 adjustable reamer (I could post it to you if you're willing to send it back once done)
  • The larger of the two i had bother with as the adjustable reamers (the ones i have anyway) were quite long so it wasn't quite getting off the taper and onto the blades to ream the bush properly
  • Got it in the lathe on a 4 jaw chuck and set up with the DTI so it was 100% square
  • Used a very fine feed until the clearance was achieved.

There's some guys that may be able to shed more light on it.The helpful pro on here being AC Dodd. This is how i did it (rightly or wrongly) but its worked a treat for me.

Edited by chrisn89, 21 May 2016 - 06:18 PM.

#36 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 06:24 PM

So today's problem.. because this is why we do this right? 

After my problems questions and technical post, I learned that any other coil but the original for 65dm4's eat the modules?
And the dizzy is an old one from the mini pictured in my thumbnail thing, which has been sat there redundant since i megajolted it. (7years ago)

So with the unknown condition of the distributor and everything else new, i had a trip to minispares york for a new 59D electronic dizzy.

Turns out the vac point on the dizzy is different and now sits in the exact same place as my oil pipe which i was ever so proud of.
End result i'll have to get pipe bending again to make the new dizzy fit. Problem being im away for a week now so its just going to have to sit there.
and there was me thinking i could finally go for a test fire.
IMG_5165.jpg

This car, as are many of yours, is the epitome of sod's law.

Edited by chrisn89, 21 May 2016 - 11:20 PM.

#37 minimanclive

minimanclive

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • Local Club: LSMOC

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:40 PM

Can you rotate the dizzy by 90 degrees and move the position of the HT leads on the cap?

#38 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

After my problems questions and technical post, I learnt that any other coil but the original for 65dm4's eat the modules?
And the dizzy is an old one from the mini pictured in my thumbnail thing, which has been sat there redundant since i megajolted it. (7years ago)

So with the unknown condition of the distributor and everything else new, i had a trip to minispares york for a new 59D electronic dizzy.

Turns out the vac point on the dizzy is different and now sits in the exact same place as my oil pipe which i was ever so proud of.
End result i'll have to get pipe bending again to make the new dizzy fit. Problem being im away for a week now so its just going to have to sit there.
IMG_5165.jpg

Loving the stainless steel oil pipe and double ferell fittings. Nice to see a good piece of pipe strangling. I plan to have plenty on TET's engine.

#39 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:06 PM

Can you rotate the dizzy by 90 degrees and move the position of the HT leads on the cap?

Quite possibly but I'd rather have it how it's supposed to be. For what it'd take to do a bit more tube bending I'll just do it again but it will have to be next week or so unfortunately.

#40 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:10 PM

After my problems questions and technical post, I learnt that any other coil but the original for 65dm4's eat the modules?

IMG_5165.jpg

Loving the stainless steel oil pipe and double ferell fittings. Nice to see a good piece of pipe strangling. I plan to have plenty on TET's engine.

Nice to hear some like minded opinions! Much better stuff than the gear that's on there. Just a shame it needs doing again. I'll have to check out how you get on.

#41 Mr Frosty

Mr Frosty

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

Just noticed you have them on the master cylinder. That shows dedication I gave up on going that far seamed a little too much like hard work getting all the fitting to work. Will be keeping an interested eye on your posts. It's one of my pet hates when a car has hours of work lavished on it only to have the small bore pipe work look like it was fitted by a first year apprentice. Sorry rant over.

#42 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:18 PM

Just noticed you have them on the master cylinder. That shows dedication I gave up on going that far seamed a little too much like hard work getting all the fitting to work. Will be keeping an interested eye on your posts. It's one of my pet hates when a car has hours of work lavished on it only to have the small bore pipe work look like it was fitted by a first year apprentice. Sorry rant over.

My thoughts exactly. Having said that i've cheated a bit and ordered a braided flexi to get around the dizzy placement for the time being as im keen to get it running

0169c149c0db936609d54b1432defa11d99e85b2

#43 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:23 PM

Although to most these images are probably getting a little bit 'samey' now so ill try and cut down until some real progress happens.

I went for a test fire today only to be disappointed.

Spark,

Compression,

Fuel

all appears to be present.. yet nothing.

SPARK

dizzy drive is set to the correct angle as no.7 valve begins to operate as per the haynes,

static timing @ 13 BTDC as per haynes for a 1275

spark proven on all plugs and gapped to 0.025"

COMPRESSION

dont have  a tester to hand but as soon as you whip one plug off its noticeable so im assuming compression

need to try and swindle a tester from somewhere just to prove it but im happy this isnt an issue

FUEL

hif44 all serviced.

carb set as per the v8 register manual that gets shared alot -

idle 1.5 turns on the butterfly linkage

mix 2 turns from level with the bridge

plugs also appear to have fuel on them after a few attempts proving its getting through IMO

needle was as per the WINsu software

anything im missing guys?

just waiting on the battery to charge to have another go.

#44 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:35 PM

So... Hours later discovered there was no fuel in the float chamber, the float was shutting off before anything substantial enough was getting through. First time I've had that in my limited experience.

Anyway. Now comes my next question. I've set the carb up as mentioned and it's just to say shy of running. Odd splutter, enough to disengage the starter.
What to adjust? Mix? Idle? More? Less? Is there a general guide for doing so once the rough set up is done and it's not enough to get it running?

I've had a search but not much joy and I'm petrified of bore washing it and ruining a year of work.

Edited by chrisn89, 24 May 2016 - 04:36 PM.

#45 chrisn89

chrisn89

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 113 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:59 PM

https://www.instagra...chrisn89n&hl=en

its alive!

unsure how else to get it on here so lets hope the instagram is suffice!

such a relief to see it going. onwards and upwards!

http://vid1118.photo...bd569bfd937.mp4

Edited by chrisn89, 25 May 2016 - 07:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users