4 replies to this topic

#1 Andy1549

Andy1549

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

Hi, Help me please...... I am in the process of building a 1330 engine with a modified head, I have had the head worked on by Rob Walker he has put new guides,valve seats re cut the valves and generaly made it all nice and new, I have purchased some new dual valve springs from mini spares ( C-AEA526) and once fitted I have noticed that one valve in particular ( inlet on no: 3 Cylinder) is a lot lower than the others?? Now in the fitting instructions it says it is advantageous to correct and match the valve spring heights (measured from the spring seat in the head to the underside of the spring retainer cap)
A. How do you measure this???
B. the shims you can adjust the heights with will adjust the spring tension not the valve heights?
Or have I got a brain fade on this???
Now most of the spring and valve heights will be slightly out is it just the valve springs I have to worry about or am I looking to set the valve heights out too???
:ohno: Please help if you can cheers peeps Andy.Attached File  DSC_0110 (2).jpg   197.94K   33 downloads

#2 nzmember

nzmember

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:54 PM

The minispares instructions refer to placing shims between the cylinder head and springs to adjust them all to the same installed height. It doesn't adjust the 'top' height or where the cap ends up.
In your photo it looks like the problem is with the collet or cap as the length of valve sticking above the cap appears longer than the other valves. Try refitting that valve or swapping collets & caps between the valves to get them fitted correctly.

#3 Andy1549

Andy1549

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:30 AM

Hi, thanks for your help, I have had a play around and cant get it to sit at the same height, I can see that the valve collet grove is cut at a different height than the others?? Can I just change that valve or will I have to change all of the exhaust or even all 8?

#4 nzmember

nzmember

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:41 AM

You can change just that valve. Preferably the replacement valve is same or similar in design as the existing ones. Go back to Rob Walker.

#5 Andy1549

Andy1549

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:41 PM

Hi, thanks for that I think I will nip back to Rob and see if he can help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users