19 replies to this topic

#1 Fenza

Fenza

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:02 PM

ive been toying with the idea of a rear wheel drive mini powered by hayabusa engine, much like the Z-cars minis. it would be completely modified with barely anything stock. so just wondering if its even possible to get insured at 19 with this kind of modification. ive been looking into these minis extensively and would just like to know if i take the plunge and build the car would i even be able to get insured? Also money isnt a massive issue but anything over £4k would deter me.
Cheers in advance.

#2 Mini 360

Mini 360

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,933 posts
  • Local Club: Independent

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:07 PM

Kit car insurance would be the way. I know a guy who was 21 with an R1 Mini and it was on kit car insurance. He was minted so said it wasnt too expensive but I doubt it was......

#3 Tahiti Joe

Tahiti Joe

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 663 posts

Posted 31 October 2011 - 09:11 PM

Wasnt there a guy in one of the Mini Mags recently that had a R1 powered Z-cars that he was building before his 17th, insured it and was only paying like £1500 or something straight after he passed? Was arctic white with green arches if i recall correctly...! :D

#4 Pickwah

Pickwah

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 190 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

Put it this way, I'm 18 with a years no claims. I have found it a struggle to insure my 1275 for much less than £2000! Insurers don't take young drivers seriously until they are at least 21!

#5 maggies_minder

maggies_minder

TMFs New official Spamster

• Members
  • 4,393 posts
  • Local Club: sutton coldfield mini club

Posted 01 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

Put it this way, I'm 18 with a years no claims. I have found it a struggle to insure my 1275 for much less than £2000! Insurers don't take young drivers seriously until they are at least 21!

im 23 and they still dont take me serious, it appears you need a pension.

#6 minikidx14

minikidx14

One Carb Or Two?

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,387 posts
  • Name: Ross

Posted 01 November 2011 - 01:01 PM

I got a quote for a front engined R1 powered elf and iirc it was just over £1000 (just abit more then with a standard engine) :blink:

#7 E.L.M.O

E.L.M.O

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 3,953 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:03 PM

No disrespect intended but whats your driving history?

Did you grow up on a large farm driving around and have plenty of experience, or are you a young lad who has a bit of cash to spend and think you can handle such a powerful car with no driving experience. if its the latter, then perhaps its more wise to gain some road experience first?

I for one would be really P!ssed if at a mini show you ploughed into my pride and joy because your mis placed faith in your limited driving ability meant that you thought you could handle something you couldnt.

I think all young drivers SHOULD be limited in the spec of car they are allowed to drive until they have proven themselves worthy of being able to "unlock" the next stage of motoring. And if you have an accident that was your thought, your back to stage 1. (you can keep your powerful car, but its limited, and the fine for tampering with the limiter is very harsh.)

Just my opinion, I dont know you mate, like I said you may have grown up somewhere which meant you have been driving round on private land and competing in races since you were 11. if thats the case, good luck to you.

Edited by E.L.M.O, 01 November 2011 - 02:06 PM.

#8 R1minimagic

R1minimagic

Up Into Fourth

• Traders
  • 4,658 posts

Posted 01 November 2011 - 02:26 PM

My R1 cost about £350 to insure but i'm old!! :ohno:

#9 wadlyan

wadlyan

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:48 PM

I got a quote for a front engined R1 powered elf and iirc it was just over £1000 (just abit more then with a standard engine) :blink:

I understand that this post was quite a while ago but can you remember which insurer this was?
Thanks

#10 Youngowner93

Youngowner93

Speeding Along Now

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 426 posts
  • Local Club: Durham Mini Club

Posted 07 June 2012 - 06:02 PM

I for one would be really P!ssed if at a mini show you ploughed into my pride and joy because your mis placed faith in your limited driving ability meant that you thought you could handle something you couldnt.

I think all young drivers SHOULD be limited in the spec of car they are allowed to drive until they have proven themselves worthy of being able to "unlock" the next stage of motoring. And if you have an accident that was your thought, your back to stage 1. (you can keep your powerful car, but its limited, and the fine for tampering with the limiter is very harsh.)

Just my opinion, I dont know you mate, like I said you may have grown up somewhere which meant you have been driving round on private land and competing in races since you were 11. if thats the case, good luck to you.

Totally agree with this, they do it with motorcycles so why not cars? I've seen one of my mates killed because his inexperience of driving in a big powerful car showed. I'm not saying he deserved it but it's a stupid thing to do.

#11 Nathan94

Nathan94

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

No disrespect intended but whats your driving history?

Did you grow up on a large farm driving around and have plenty of experience, or are you a young lad who has a bit of cash to spend and think you can handle such a powerful car with no driving experience. if its the latter, then perhaps its more wise to gain some road experience first?

I'm 18 and I kind of agree with you, maybe a max of 100BHP until you have been driving for a year to get used to roads and not floor it everywhere.

#12 Terry1987

Terry1987

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:20 AM

2 fun points there....

spoilt rich kids ... just because you can afford a powerful car doesn't mean you deserve it! your parents really mustn't like you if they are willing to give you money for a car like that....

insurances and age, I'm 25, I have 7 years NCB no points and a group 4, 55bhp astra estate automatic, the only way I could insure it for less than 800 was to do some crappy mods (lights, grill, filter) so I can get a modified car discount...

#13 Rhys

Rhys

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 896 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:44 AM

wow, I think everyone is being a little harsh on the guy, he only asked your advice on insurance not on if he is capable of driving it/ if he deserves it/ if you think it's a good idea. Who knows, he could have his own business that is doing pretty well or doesn't eat.

As for the question, I think it would be tough to get taken seriously and 4k might not to the job.

#14 The Matt

The Matt

You don't escape that easily.....

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,229 posts
  • Name: Matt
  • Local Club: Welsh Border Minis

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:32 AM

How harsh to assume he's a spoilt rich kid!

What if he's got compensation for an accident he's had, what if it's inheritence money?

#15 Ryang556

Ryang556

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,747 posts
  • Local Club: Top Mini

Posted 11 June 2012 - 09:08 AM

What's the worst that can happen?

I say phone up kit car companies and see what they say, worst they can say is no

Either way bike powered mini's are cool... :shifty:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users