#1 megamix

megamix

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:48 AM

Sorry Title was an understatement.

I recently purchased a 2004 Mini 1.6 Cooper (second hand - no warranty). The car has done 85,000 miles.

A few days ago I went to start it and there was just a horrible rattling metal on metal noise from the Engine, it turned over but didn't start.

A local garge has looked at, took the top cover over, said the timing chain was still in tact but the engine was basically cream crackered. How would they know this without stripping it down. Said something about the camshaft gone and the rest of the engine pistons valves etc will be ruined.

Is it worth paying the labour costs to get the engine stripped down to confirm this or should I start shopping for a recond engine? Cheapest I have found so far is £700 + fitting.

I don't want to spend £1000+ getting the engine fitted if the current engine could be repaired for less...but if I can't then I am wasting my money paying to investigate...Catch 22 I know but has anyone had similar problems.

I paid £3400 for the car, free car valuations says it is only worth between £2200 - £3200 in the trade (working). Valuation sshot attached, not showing the last change of keeper yet

I have been offered £1500 in the condition it is in by a friend of a friend...help!

Attached File  Mini Valuation.JPG   73.43K   4 downloads

#2 The Colonel

The Colonel

Previously known as Jackhammer

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  • Local Club: setting up my own one

Posted 04 November 2011 - 03:56 PM

hello chap, to be honest with you buddy most people on this forum are used to working on the classic mini, try the BMW mini forums if your after tech support

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users