#1 minilady

minilady

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:06 PM

First of many dumb questions from me...

1981 998 mini: How do you get the topmost section of the dashboard off? It's the padded bit immediately below the screen I'm trying to remove. I've undone all the nuts I can find, and it's very loose, but just won't lift out. Does the screen have to come out first?

#2 CR#

CR#

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 48 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 01:22 PM

I managed to get the dash out, didnt hav to take out window. Took a lot of force and a hammer it the right places thou. When you put it back, i advise shortening the bolts a tad as they are what limint it comin out easily. :wink:

#3 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:54 PM

I guess there's a knack to it then. I couldn't get mine out for love, money or swearing!

#4 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:55 PM

no you dont need to take the screen out.

on mine there were three bolts (left, right and centre). undo them all and wiggle the rail off

#5 Lt-SilverDragon

Lt-SilverDragon

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 724 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:04 PM

I removed mine yesterday and it was a bother with the screen out, just wiggle and pull/push and it should come out.

#6 A_SERIES_SUPPLIES

A_SERIES_SUPPLIES

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:22 PM

hi all
there is a bit of a trick to this .....
its not really the up motion you want to be twisting it out towards the rear of the mini. you will find it comes out quite easy with the screen in .
eddie

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:48 PM

That's just what I was going to say Eddie, you need to rock it towards you so the middle bolt comes out first then it will come out easy. You don't need to trim the bolts down (or I never have at least).

#8 Tom Sanderson

Tom Sanderson

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:05 PM

it also depends on how old the mini is because the earlyer cars that had the top rail fitted, there were just 2 extra holes derilled in each side. whereas the later ones had larger holes and a slot cut away in the bottom so you can get a socket in it :smartass:

#9 minilady

minilady

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:06 PM

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. It's reassuring to know it will come out without taking the screen out. I'll have a go tomorrow......

Paula

#10 minilady

minilady

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:10 PM

Sorry for starting this topic in the wrong forum! I've only just found the technical forum. Quite confusing for a newbie :w00t:)

#11 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 08:29 PM

it also depends on how old the mini is because the earlyer cars that had the top rail fitted, there were just 2 extra holes derilled in each side. whereas the later ones had larger holes and a slot cut away in the bottom so you can get a socket in it

Almost. The very early Mini Clubman had the upper rail held by 4 studs with nuts along the top, all later cars and all non-Clubman cars with a top rail have two outer studs with nuts and a center one using a clamp though the ashtray hole in the bulkhead, which has always been there.

#12 minilady

minilady

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:49 PM

Finally got the thing off today. Tried twisting it toward the rear etc. but I don't think I'm strong enough. Had to use cunning rather than brurte force...

The trick was to use a screwdriver to lever each bolt out of its hole. It would then jump forward and not go back down the hole while I levered the next one.

As I'd feared, it's all rusty, so it look like there's a screen leak :lol:(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users