#1 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,695 posts
  • Local Club: GoGoAuto

Posted 05 February 2006 - 03:04 PM

Im thinking about re-running the battery cable and putting it inside the car. Anyone got any advice, or cheap places for battery cable?

#2 pikey7

pikey7

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,824 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:52 PM

try HERE .

They are usually amongst the cheapest.

Make sure it's clipped down well, and whereever you do go through the body, A new grommet and a bit of sealer will prevent leaks.

#3 minislapper

minislapper

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 05:57 PM

One of my previous Minis had that done and was a really good job. What they also did, which was extermely useful, was mount a racing electric cutoff switch on the floor next to the seat. Therefore always take the plastic key with you and perfect anti theft device !!! :grin:

#4 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 06:50 PM

Yeah my dadm had a white mini with a 1410 MED race engine, and it had a cut off switch in the dash, and u had to rev it to a certain rpm then turn it and take it out with you. It's a good idea, just want to do it properly.

#5 syholl

syholl

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:20 PM

The extra flexible stuff they sell on that website is excellent. Much easier to work with, make sure you buy some decent crimps for the ends, and solder the stripped cable before you try and crimp it, as its very soft thin wire....

#6 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:31 PM

Yeah, i wasnt sure if anyone had much advice, altho i am an aprentice electrician!!! :tongue:

#7 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:43 PM

Naah, just get them to make it up to your measurements. They make all my battery cables for me and they don't charge much for it. Just choose which fittings you want on the ends and the length and they make it up the same day. Unless you are going to be making these cables all the time you don't want to be buying the crimp tool that's the right type and size for serious battery terminal crimps as it's quite expensive.

Oh yeah, and definitely get some big and serious grommets.

FIA cutoff switches are fairly crappy things which aren't designed with a high duty cycle in mind as they are for emergency use not for use as an ignition switch. They break down fairly quickly, I know of several racers who need to replace theirs in a season and they don't exactly use them often. There are much better quality isolator switches available which are designed for use every day, also from Vehicle Wiring Products. Are they more expensive? Of course they are, for a good reason. No one ever coined the phrase 'cheap and really high quality' now did they?

Edited by Dan, 05 February 2006 - 07:46 PM.

#8 Pie

Pie

Crazy About Mini's

• Banned
  • 7,695 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:44 PM

Good point. I may be an electrician but im not 100% confident with Auto-electrics, they are a nightmare!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users