15 replies to this topic

#16 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 01 March 2006 - 05:54 PM

I've used Hamerite and would never use it again - it scratches and comes off so easily, emulsion would have been better!

I would agree POR-15 Rust preventative Paint from Frost.co.uk. I'm covering every lightly rusted surface with the stuff (underneath the car), in particular the boot floor as that's real bad, but the underside of the mini was coated in waxoyl at one stage and the floor has NO surface rust at all....all this area is being primered then chassis black, then chassis black over all the POR-15 coating. This stuff has been salt sprayed for 1500 hours in testing and NO water got through, it didn't crack, chip, scratch...it's very tough stuff! Then it'll be covered in Waxoyl - the best thing about waxoyl is that it's wax based so never dries, it repels water and when it gets hit with stones etc, it just re-covers the exposed area, thus protecting it. It does pick up some grime on the underside of the car, but this is held on the outside, it doesn't reach the metalwork. You can check out my project in the project section and see how i'm doing it, as i'm carrying it out right now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users