85 replies to this topic

#31 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:00 PM

Thanks for all the info, as this has interested me for some time. That bears a strong resemblance to what I saw at an exhibition in Glasgow in about 1973. Presumably it was Manx Racing. They had the engine and box for an eye-watering price, but not an actual car.

Ford engines and tuning parts are still readily available. However most people would go for one of the small, reliable and mostly Japanese engines these days. More bang for less bucks.

Or the Ford Ecoboost if course, but that fits tolerably well with its own transmission.

But if someone could plonk a lightweight, reliable alloy block engine on an A series transmission, this type of conversion might become attractive again. K series is a non starter due to block depth below crankshaft axis, but there are maybe others. Doesn't one of the more modern Firms have an alloy block?

#32 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 01:28 PM

You can get an aluminum ford block from Burton Power but a £4k+ it's not cheap. Was only a couple of grand back when I originally looked, but once you modify it to fit the mini conversion box there's no going back to using it for any thing else.

It's not for every one but the actual engine is simple to work on and spares are available without breaking the bank, and certainly more reliable than an A-Series with similar figures.

I've collected a fair bit of info over the years including a magazine articles for the CVH conversion which only took me 20 years to track down an original copy. I also have somewhere, the original brochure from Manx Racing with technical details and prices, as well as a cardboard template Bill Quine of Manx Racing sent me to machine the starter motor clearance.

At the end of the day it was a challenge to get it fitted in a round nose mini without cutting the body or sub-frame and still close the bonnet.

Would I change anything, yes, the straight cut drops. But back when I build it the thought of anyone putting more than 100bhp through a mini gearbox was unheard of, and SC drops were a must. Now 25 years on we know people putting much more through them with helical drops. But I can't afford to break the gearbox as they don't come off the shelf.

Edited by stoneface, 15 August 2016 - 07:37 PM.

#33 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,806 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:43 PM

If anyone is interested '360gts' on the Mk1 Forum can still produce these Mini-Ford units.....

360gts Quote:-

"The Ford mini engine conversion isn't as popular now as it was eons ago however, there is still a demand for these smooth engine units in a mini.
I have just completed another unit for a client...really smooth engine...and quiet too!
Lots of power from the 1600 cross-flow with the twin webers.
Anyway, I still have the pattern for the sump extension...if anyone is interested could have another few made. Just thought I'd throw it out there.
Here are a few pictures of the sump extension that I had poured by a local foundry.
They have lots of meat on them for machining for most Ford engines.
Anyone interested...let me know..."

http://mk1-forum.net...php?f=3&t=15977

(You may have to register to view the post and photos in Mk1 'Technical Talk')

Ford%20casting_zpsjnourciu.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 16 August 2016 - 07:44 PM.

#34 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 07:47 PM

This was an interesting conversion......

Gordon Allen's Mini 850cc BDA Engine
This unit was a purposely designed two cylinder engine built for racing Minis. A specially manufacture alloy block and forged steel crank formed the basis of this engine. Bores were 85mm diameter and the stroke 74mm, giving it 848cc. A halved, standard Formula Atlantic BDA head with full size valves giving an 11.8:1 compression ratio was employed, and this was fed by a single 45DCOE Weber. The engine was mounted on a Mini transmission using an adaptor plate. Early versions of the engine gave an extra 20bhp over a standard racing 850cc A Series, this difference nearly double in the next 5 years.
http://www.racing70s...enu_engines.htm

Designed and built by Gordon Allen from half a 1700cc BDA (so rated at 850cc). In the 1970's special saloons there was an 850cc class which was full of destroked/overbored 970 Cooper S engines, usually running exotic 8-port heads and the like. This 2 cylinder BDA was a real winner once a few niggles were overcome. It was used by Peter Day in a Mini and also a Fiat 500 (the "Mighty Mouse") Here it is at home in the Mini;

850bda1.jpg

850bda2.jpg

http://www.theminifo...otos/?p=2452165

#35 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts
  • Name: Jamie

Posted 16 August 2016 - 08:48 PM

Great posts like always Mab.

Have just registered on the mk1 forum, just awaiting admin to approve it.

Good to know that there is someone still out there that can produce the sump extension. Be good if he produced the crank adaptor and the block adaptor needed too. Hate to think what it'd all cost though!

Thanks!

Edited by megamini_jb, 16 August 2016 - 08:52 PM.

#36 mab01uk

mab01uk

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • 11,806 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 10:09 PM

You might like this article on an early Mini-Ford conversion from 1963 but this was based on an Anglia pre-crossflow head engine.

Mini-ford-barrent_zpso9vybdmt.jpg

Also some more photos below of a Mini-Ford engine conversion that I think was on ebay quite recently.....

Ford1-1_zps48ingzkp.jpg

Ford6_zpszdh4bmzv.jpg

Ford15_zpsahroxxl0.jpg

Edited by mab01uk, 16 August 2016 - 10:09 PM.

#37 Spider

Spider

Moved Into The Garage

• Admin
  • 13,937 posts
  • Local Club: South Australian Moke Club

Posted 17 August 2016 - 08:23 AM

While I haven't found a lot to read of Gordon Allan, his name I've always seen, seems to be associated with a lot of cutting edge engineering, even by today's standards. He really did pull together some amazing engines, they seem to be well sorted and performed not only well, but did so reliably. His works have never failed to impress me. It still surprises me just how many specials he did, all taking HUGE hours to build and then probably twice that to sort out! I'd never seen this Twin Cam 850 engine until today and in line with his other works, it's sure impressed me.

Many thank mab01uk for re-posting.

Is there anyone around before or since who was / is as revolutionary?

#38 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:17 AM

This is for sale in Spain.

Thoughts?

Adaptor plate looks naff mind. Also 12 bolt crank adaptor

47816b4b1eb82c9e86ca7ce6f57a416d.jpg

Edited by megamini_jb, 18 August 2016 - 11:20 AM.

#39 tiger99

tiger99

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 8,584 posts

Posted 18 August 2016 - 11:45 AM

Not sure how it fits but it certainly has a nice stress raiser, the acute internal corner. That may or may not matter, depending on the applied stress.

I can't tell if the crank adaptor has similar issues. It really, really needs the radius at the changes in section to be as large as possible, as a crack there will result in flywheel detachment at speed. I can see two changes in section and at least one looks to be abrupt. There are large and potentially fatiguing loads here, torsional on every firing impulse and cyclic bending as the flywheel rotates, the very sort of condition that encourages fatigue.

#40 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 03:06 PM

Ok so this is going ahead :D

Actaully got my hands on all the main parts through all the research I was doing and after some negotiation (wasn't easy!), but I'm not yet decided whether to go Crossflow head or Lotus Twin Cam. Swaying towards Lotus

Edited by megamini_jb, 30 August 2016 - 03:38 PM.

#41 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 30 August 2016 - 08:58 PM

Was speaking to an old friend a couple of weeks a go whilst up in Scotland he built one

a lot of years ago !

check out cmroad&race website pictures on there 

#42 megamini_jb

megamini_jb

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • 5,491 posts

Posted 30 August 2016 - 09:52 PM

Was speaking to an old friend a couple of weeks a go whilst up in Scotland he built one
a lot of years ago !

Ah that sounds very familar. I'm sure I've bought a few mini parts from him in the past. He has a stunning black mini with a full race tuned A Series and cares for a Austin Healey race car I believe it is?

#43 stoneface

stoneface

Speeding Along Now

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 313 posts

Posted 31 August 2016 - 07:39 AM

If you need any help or info just ask.

Not sure where you're located but you're welcome to take a look at mine if you want ideas or help making your mind up on lotus or xflow.

The xflow can be squeezed in a round nose and the lotus will fit in a clubman without body mods, so worth deciding how standard you want it looking from the outside.

#44 spraybeater

spraybeater

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Local Club: Mcr

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:06 PM

a lot of years ago !

Ah that sounds very familar. I'm sure I've bought a few mini parts from him in the past. He has a stunning black mini with a full race tuned A Series and cares for a Austin Healey race car I believe it is?

Yes the black mini!!!! first one I painted black back in about 1965ish Happydays its probably been redone quite a few times by now

The one in my profile was mine met green with black roof 

#45 gazza82

gazza82

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,919 posts
  • Local Club: TMF+

Posted 31 August 2016 - 04:45 PM

http://cmroadandrace.co.uk/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users