10 replies to this topic

#1 retro2

retro2

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

having been into minis for many years myself and my brother decided it was time to try something new, we found that the bore centres of the nissan micra were VERY close to those on an A series engine, so got hold of a head and started looking at fitting it all up.

we believe that with valve pockets in the block face and piston crowns it is very simple to put together, you would also need to dry deck the block, so this only leaves you woth the firing rings to worry about in the head gasket.

ferriday engineering said they would make us a head gasket to fit by they way, very helpfull people.

however we did start to wonder if it was going to be worth all the expense as we wernt sure if the mild cams in the head were going to be any good to us.

the block would also need ree-drilling and tapping to take the studs in the positions that they are already in, in the nicra head.

the head itself uses a timing chain, as per A series, however the head must be turned 180 degrees to have the chain at the right end of the block. it then also turns in the right dirrection and the inlet now faces forwars ready for webbers,

just thought i would pass this on as i would love someone to continue where we shelved the project.

jez

#2 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 07 February 2006 - 05:09 PM

mini sprocket (on this site )is doing a conversion with a BMW motor bike engine cylinder head on a A series block

you should get together and talk over any problems :wink:

#3 chairchild

chairchild

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 606 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 07:48 PM

have you got any pics of a nissan head gasket, over the top of an A-series block?

just to see how close they are/etc

#4 MAGA7INE

MAGA7INE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 08:38 PM

I am doing the bike head swap as well with a turbo and efi. Any pics of this head swap as far as you took it? I can't imagine that the head flows that well though but I may look at it, what year of head etc. More details!

#5 retro2

retro2

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 03:38 PM

i will endevour to get some pics on here, i really aint good with computers, but i'll get my mate to help me out with it.

i am also curious as to which bike head it is you are using, a relative works high up in a local bike shop called "streetbike" dunno if you heard of it? i may be able to source some parts, or information should you require it?

the valve in the head on the micra were of sufficint size for the spec of engine we were going to mate it all to, as for flowing, there a allot of people out there doing fantastic head work on this casting, its quite popular abroad apparently, racing the little micra.

the head we tried was a 1275 micra, from a W reg car. interestingly the bore and stroke is the same as the 1275 A series, and the 998 micra has the same bore and stroke as the 998 A series, weird eh?

#6 Oldskoolbaby

Oldskoolbaby

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,361 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 08:52 PM

Not really. The japs copy everything european. Take the Mx5 for instance. They even tried to make it sound like an MG.

I wonder if Nismo did any work on those engines. If they did or do, I bet theres some sweet pistons available for them which should be interchangable with the A series.

#7 MAGA7INE

MAGA7INE

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 09:54 PM

i will endevour to get some pics on here, i really aint good with computers, but i'll get my mate to help me out with it.

i am also curious as to which bike head it is you are using, a relative works high up in a local bike shop called "streetbike" dunno if you heard of it? i may be able to source some parts, or information should you require it?

the valve in the head on the micra were of sufficint size for the spec of engine we were going to mate it all to, as for flowing, there a allot of people out there doing fantastic head work on this casting, its quite popular abroad apparently, racing the little micra.

the head we tried was a 1275 micra, from a W reg car. interestingly the bore and stroke is the same as the 1275 A series, and the 998 micra has the same bore and stroke as the 998 A series, weird eh?

Hi, thanks for that! I am using the BMW K1100 head, like sprocket and many others. I will pick up a micra head next time I visit a yard and have a look, especially interested in the 998 one as I have a bit of a thing with 998's.

Thanks for the offer of help with parts, I will keep you in mind if I need anything :lol:

If you want to email me the pics, I will put them up here for all to see if that helps at all?

Oldskool, nismo, mmmmm....

#8 retro2

retro2

Just On Tickover

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 10 February 2006 - 04:37 PM

a friend mentioned there was a k1200s or something that ahd an in-line engine, i was a little confused at first as i have little experience with bmw bikes, i was under the impression they were all flat fours, just shows what i know about bikes! lol

as soon as i can get the pics done i'll send them to you.

i have to agree with the liking of the small bore block, i'm keen on the extra material around the bores, something you dont have allot of with the popular 1380 big boys, particularly between number 2 and 3 cylinders.

its small bore all the way for me, lightened and balanced with a quality 12g940 head and thats a great little screamer, lovley!

#9 Tazzy

Tazzy

Learner Driver

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 11:22 AM

Bump.

Datsun/Nissan was a licensee of Austin Motor Company technology. They build there own version of the A-Series engine.

See http://en.wikipedia....Nissan_A_engine

Would this 8 port (!) head fit a BMC engine?

#10 mini_matt_106

mini_matt_106

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 591 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 11:02 AM

just read this after coming back from the scrappy, those nissan engines are twin cam! (well some are) how feasable is it to put this head on an a series block? 998??
any info would be wicked! cheers!

#11 Jammy

Jammy

Moved Into The Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,397 posts

Posted 05 February 2009 - 01:24 PM

just read this after coming back from the scrappy, those nissan engines are twin cam! (well some are) how feasable is it to put this head on an a series block? 998??
any info would be wicked! cheers!

Get a head gasket for each and compare!

I would imagine that this conversion would already have been done and be a lot more popular if it was that easy/worth it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users