5 replies to this topic

#1 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 01:53 PM

I've just bought an angle grinder, 3 cutting discs, and 3 grinding discs.

I've never used one beore, so could anyone give me a few tips to help me get started on this:

Posted Image

I've chipped away the soundproofing around the rust, down to the bare metal, and used a hammer and screwdriver to make holes rather than rust, but I'd like to grind away the rust around the edge of the holes before I get the new panels welded in.

Should I use the cutting discs first, then the grinding discs? Or JUST the grinding discs? Also do I hold the grinder at a roughly 20-40 degree angle?

Thanks. Guy.

#2 Will

Will

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:23 PM

Have you checked all of the inner sill for rust because it's likely that it could be rusted?

Make sure you only cut through metal because sometimes the disc will shatter if it hits anythign else. Wear googles or a full face mask thing (a clear plastic one to stop the sparks. Gloves are good also but sometimes not necessary and make sure all your body is covered.

Main thing is... be careful! Don't do any more than you think you're capable of.. I think that me done... there's other things so when I remeber ill post back.

EDIT: Make sure that descent paintwork covered as well as glass and fabrics so you don't set fire to anything or knacker your paintwork with the sparks...

Fire extinguisher just in case as well... failing that a bucket of water :lol:

#3 cooper_shaz

cooper_shaz

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,000 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:27 PM

Hey Guy

When it comes to the grinder use the cutting disc to cut the sections out
it is a thinner disc so cuts easier

make sure you got goggles and a dust mask because you really dont want to be breathing in the sh*t that comes off the car..

Gloves and a long sleeve jumper stop the sparks hitting your hands and arms, and ear plugs wont go a miss, because it is loud

Get the car up on axle stands if it makes cutting easier

cut the rust out and cut an extra 10mm into the good metal to make sure the rust is all away

Hold the grinder so the sparks go downwards.

As for angle, anyangle that feels comfortable

Make sure there are no wires/pipes etc on the inside or underneath that you will cut through.

Have a fire extinguisher or buckets of water very close by as the underseal will sometimes set on fire....

lastly, grind a bit and then check, then another bit etc etc...

It is not difficult..
just make sure you and the area round you are safe.... :lol:

#4 gsms

gsms

Up Into Fourth

• Members
  • 2,285 posts

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:38 PM

Thanks a lot guys!! That's given me some confidence with it! :lol: Also the bucket of water idea will definately come in handy! :P

Very helpful, thanks! :huh:

Cheers. Guy.

#5 wobbit

wobbit

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,579 posts
  • Local Club: basingstoke mini club

Posted 08 February 2006 - 02:44 PM

make sure also that the disk is running 4wards, so if there is not enough pressure aplied to the area your cuting, the grinder only runs 4ward and not backwards onto your leg! seen it done b4 and it aint pretty!

just be carefull and its pretty strait4ward

#6 minivanman

minivanman

Up Into Fourth

• TMF+ Member
  • 3,454 posts
  • Local Club: Backstreet Minis

Posted 08 February 2006 - 06:32 PM

if you can, get some of the super thin discs of a decent make - they seem to last longer and cut a much neater hole. make sure there is no way that if you are in the car grinding, your weight can move the panel and trap the wheel as it will shatter (if that makes sense)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users