twrminisport

Jesus

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:27 PM

Stupid one really

Why can we no longer edit posts.
Its really annoying sometimes when you spell something wrong or double post on a phone etc etc

Jesus

#2 Artful Dodger

Artful Dodger

" I AM THE SPECIAL ONE"

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,435 posts
  • Local Club: aint no body got time fo dat

Posted 08 December 2011 - 06:31 PM

you can, just after you made the post. its like after a certain time period it disables itself!

#3 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

Yes but Why?

I have a form of dyslexia (dysgraphia), which affects my spelling not reading. But as I write something it looks correct to me.
But if I re read it 30 minutes later I can see the spelling mistakes and where I have for no apparent reason used the wrong word or missed a word or used it twice. Since the change to the edit rules on the forum posting has become a lot more difficult for me..

It's just a pain of a rule... Which has never been explained, does not seem to have a reason and I've never seen it implement on any other forum.

Edited by Ruckus, 08 December 2011 - 07:07 PM.

#4 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:03 PM

Oops

Edited by Ruckus, 08 December 2011 - 07:08 PM.

#5 sonikk4

sonikk4

Twisted Paint Polisher!!!

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,910 posts
  • Name: Neil

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:15 PM

Peeps if you have issues with anything that you post ie spelling etc then either report it or pm a staff member and we will deal with it. I believe there had been issues with the old style of forum editing where it had or was being abused.

#6 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 08 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

This is what's been said before, but it's not a viable or sensible solution. As I'm sure the admin team have got better things to do than run around the forum editing my my posts. Plus it gets a little embarrassing to be honest!

And it's not really about others people having a problem with what I've written, its about me personally wanting coherent posts.

Edited by Ruckus, 08 December 2011 - 07:52 PM.

#7 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 08 December 2011 - 08:56 PM

Yes but Why?

I have a form of dyslexia (dysgraphia), which affects my spelling not reading. But as I write something it looks correct to me.
But if I re read it 30 minutes later I can see the spelling mistakes and where I have for no apparent reason used the wrong word or missed a word or used it twice. Since the change to the edit rules on the forum posting has become a lot more difficult for me..

i'm glad it's not just me that does that

#8 twrminisport

twrminisport

Jesus

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 913 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 01:58 AM

Exactly, im dyslexic aswell :L

#9 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 10 December 2011 - 08:53 AM

I think it's viable and perfectly sensible. I believe that you have 15 minutes or so to make any alterations before your post is locked. If you have problems with getting your post right in that amount of time, then you always have the option of writing them in another application such as Word, then leaving them for 30 minutes or however long you need before making any alterations and then copying and pasting onto the thread (giving you a further 15 mins to make any further alterations before the post is locked).

The idea of allowing a post to be permanently altered certainly isn't viable or sensible, as it allows for posts to be changed after numerous responses have been made to them, which is both open to abuse and can also make the thread impossible to follow by others.

EDIT: .... & I've just had to edit this post because I missed out two words!! >_<

Edited by AVV IT, 10 December 2011 - 08:55 AM.

#10 Shifty

Shifty

Sponsored by Fosters (tm)

• Admin
  • 13,129 posts
  • Name: Sean
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:32 AM

Yup, the editing of posts has been abused constantly. People giving out dumbass advice and then being able to change it to try and hide their tracks.

Changing the description of classified ads once sold

If you want your post editing just ask.

#11 iDemonix

iDemonix

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 946 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 12:00 PM

Not sure if this is in place, but at another forum I use where you donate (kind of like TMF+) if you're a + member you can edit your posts indefinitely, worth a think?

#12 AVV IT

AVV IT

I am a shed dragger.

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,122 posts
  • Name: Dave
  • Local Club: Nobody will have me!!

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:31 PM

Not sure if this is in place, but at another forum I use where you donate (kind of like TMF+) if you're a + member you can edit your posts indefinitely, worth a think?

I don't see how that would help? Posts that can be indefinitely edited can not only be abused, but can also cause a problem in terms of the continuity of the thread, that isn't going to change just because a particular member has paid out a fiver!!

#13 MaxAndPaddy

MaxAndPaddy

Spamela Anderson

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,700 posts
  • Name: Elvis
  • Local Club: TMF

Posted 10 December 2011 - 05:36 PM

Shame we cant have 'View Revision History' where you can edit a post but your told its edited and on what date, plus the original post is still kept....

#14 Bungle

Bungle

Original Spamster

• Members
  • 28,971 posts
  • Local Club: cornish mini club

Posted 10 December 2011 - 06:28 PM

if you think someone might go back and edit a post at a later point after saying something risky then just quote their post

they can't edit a post you have quoted (unless they are a moderator)

#15 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • 2,071 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:20 PM

I take all that on board.
When I'm on the pc I do use word/outlook and do just as AVV IT said but a couple of points:

I cant always do the word thing as I posted from my iPhone a LOT.

I quite often post in a thread where someone has JUST been given incorrect advise or has been told to buy something that's going to be a waste of money. In this situation time is of the essence.

On all the forums I use including Reddit which has 20 million users! none have this system...

Edited by Ruckus, 10 December 2011 - 11:21 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users