15 replies to this topic

#1 johny:)

johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 06:10 PM

thinking of scraping the idea of my turbo mini and puting a v tec in it as that will give me the power i want with less agro was looking at the mini tec subframes for £1500 on ebay are they worth the money or is there a better kit out there thanks for any replies

#2 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,140 posts
  • Local Club: 16vMini club

Posted 17 December 2011 - 10:15 PM

Vtec aint less aggro than a turbo, anything like this will take alot of work, not to mention money, time, stress and everything else that gets thrown in thats not planned

Have an idea first of what kind of power you want and why, things like where the car will be used, all this will influence how the car will look which will influence what kind of build its gonna be, its all a jigsaw

Start off with simple stuff, what size wheels, what kind of suspension, what interior look, what kind of front end, do that research first, then go read a build diary similar to what your planning, that way it makes more sense what your looking at, you can also see what you are able to do with your skills, what you need to buy and what you need to build or get built

This is the most laborious part of any build - getting the info altogether but its also the most important, the amount of times people get stuck whilst doing a build and go read through a similar build diary and find what they need, usually this is because they skim read it in the first place, I know because I've done it myself

#3 johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:53 AM

yea thats helps basicly i got 7x13 wheels with the mini tec subframe kit it comes with the drive shafts and fits under a standerd round nose mini it also has all the aultinator brackets inside with the turbo i was planing on track ******* but i think a v tec would deserve so much more so thinking of using the civic steering collom modefied with the rear bins choped out so i can have the seats further back

im not to bad with my hand skills i have restored around 4 minis in my time and i have a garage i can weld and fabricate to a serten point but im not afraide to try and make any thing the only thing wich will hold me back is like you say money

#4 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:37 PM

You've got a good start then as you've already worked on minis before in a major way rather than a mild service kinda way

Apart from the minitec frame you've only really got allspeed or watsons, allspeed is standard mini suspension and track so you can keep the smaller wheels, watsons uses a modified metro frame so wider track which means it wont look a sleeper atall, also you need a clubman or extended nose with both frames, at a very extreme push you could put the allspeed in a standard nose but hand on heart I wouldn't recommend it.......

Which leaves you the minitec frame, its a good frame, its popular, sometimes there are some fitment issues but these frames get used alot so getting around them aint difficult, you got the handy use of having the rad and alternator tucked up but you need to do something with the inlet manifold as I believe they (minitec) want you to cut and hose it up

To check out a cracking build on here using minitec and 13's check out Pauls thread - Clicky

#5 johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:37 PM

yea that mini is well built gessing the mini tec subframe is the one to go for now for a b18 full engine box and loom £400 so i think i will snap that up wen i get the chance then will need to raise some money for a sub fame kit wich will take me a few weeks im gessing supows i can always get on and flush the engine bad and build insaide as they need a custom pedal box and i want the set up different any way

#6 evansisgreat

evansisgreat

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,095 posts
  • Local Club: Not yet

Posted 19 December 2011 - 04:53 PM

Just make sure that you don't change your mini car too much, it might end up needing an IVA.

#7 johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 19 December 2011 - 07:42 PM

ok mot going to do much structualy just make a custom dash to use the honda clocks and mabie beef it up

#8 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

This IVA stuff winds me up if I'm being honest and more so when it gets posted up forums, I know your trying to help and just make sure the OP knows about it but its been around for a LONG time, its always been here, nothing has changed its just got alot of coverage over the last couple of years as I believe the land rover guys were getting 'hassle' about there mods, then add in forums and hey presto its on everyone lips and a big thing

Its been in force alot longer than when internet forums started.........

If your putting a honda engine into a mini you need to chop off or alot of your inner wings, there is no other way round it to fit it, it has to be done, you can keep your bulkhead clean as you can get round that with a nice set of throttle bodies or chopping up your inlet, but the engine will NOT go in without the inners being cut

Simple rule is if your put off by 'recent' talk of an old rule thats never changed and always been here and don't want to chop out your inner wings because of that then thats up to you and fine, nothing wrong with that

If like most people your building a mini as safe as you can and your MOT guy has no issues with it then everythings a good un, if your MOT guy feels its not safe for whatever reason and refuses to test it then thats your bad luck, he has every right to refuse a MOT and put it to there attention for an IVA

A MOT guy might not exactly know what is right and wrong as he's only human and whats safe when it comes to hybrid swaps but end of the day he don't want a sh!t unsafe poor put together car on the road......and quite frankly I don't want one following me either......

#9 johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:08 PM

yea that is true gona try and get a move on ended up not buying that engine as i found a full honda accord car for £400 wich i think is a steal as i was going to pay that for just the engine on its own and the car is mint so im hopefully going to pick that up when i can find a trailer then i need to save up for the subframe kit going to make shure the car is safe as it can be as i dont want to build a death trap

#10 johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 10:11 PM

this is going to be my downer car

Attached Files

#11 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 11:21 AM

Going vtec definately a great way to go . the minitec subframe is definately a great way to go . Im realy impresed with the kit and to be honest geting the engine fitted and in using it was pretty strait forward the bit that took the time is sorting out all the ancilaris geting them to fit . One thing i will recomend is read through kams build because he realy nos his stuff . one thing i will say dont set a time limit or budget because its never gona happen lol . lookforward to seeing the start of ur build be good to see another minitec build . when ordering ur frame remember to order the rhd conversion kit u will need it it saves lots of hastle and allow for an aftermarket petal bow . because its imposible to use the standard mini one withe the minitec kit .

#12 johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 02:23 PM

yea i just looked through kams build it looks realy well built i seen the rhd convershion why is ot only needed for rhd and not left but its only 100usd dont now much about converting to pounds but im gessing its aroun £70 it all looks easy enough to fit hopefully will be picking the car up next week so wen i start to strip the car and and the mini i will stat a new topic thinking of selling one of my other minis to raise more money but i wanted it to go to shows in next year so its a tuff 1

i realy like the way you flushed all the bulk head

#13 paul190181

paul190181

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 03:27 PM

The right hand drive kit is to allow the steering rack to cleer the gearbox housing . i think the minitec kit sits the engine and box a little further back to allow the standard radiator and exhaust to fit in the standard front without a removable front .

#14 johny:)

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:27 PM

wen i looked at the fitting guied on the website it boalts to the subframe i just cant wate now to order the kit :)

#15 Kam

Kam

Straight to the Point

• TMF+ Member
  • 4,140 posts

Posted 21 December 2011 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the kind words Paul but with the minitec stuff then your build diary is what I would recommend to read, mines all waffle anyway but you've got nice clear pictures and a good solution for the inlet etc

That fact your doing all this in a steel front without it being a removable front end is quite something aswell, kudos there mate

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users