stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts
  • Local Club: A5 & Mini Mainiacs

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:06 PM

Afternoon Ladies and Gents

Time for a quick update, I've got cliff ready for paint just waiting for the rain to let up so i can get down the paint shop ! fingers crossed for Thursday as it's supposed to be dry.

the body is all prepared now - I've spent the best part of 12 hours getting everything sorted !

good news is that the car is still nice and solid  :proud: bad news is that the same doesn't go for the back bumper  :ohno:

IMG_2877.jpg

IMG_2886.jpg

gave it a goo going over with a screw driver and sand paper and it looked much worse than it really is (sorry for the poor pic)

IMG_2887.jpg

i'll give it another blast over then fill the seam with auto-lube as to stop any nasties coming up - it'll be hidden by the bumper so no one will ever notice, even me and my picky eye  >_<

things look much brighter for the wings/arches and sills

IMG_2879.jpg

IMG_2883.jpg

IMG_2884.jpg

everything is nice and flat and feathered in so it was time to test the arches but i changed my mind on the W&P's - they are just the complete wrong shape for the car ! no joke, the arch was way too tall like it had been squashed from either end  O_O so i had a week or so away from the car to mull things over and i have decided to re-fit some new rover special arches but with a P strip arch to body rubber seal and use some black rubber sill finishers as the plastic ones were for ever falling off in the sun  when they expanded !

i'm using some Ø3.9mm x 3/8th's A2 stainless button head self tappers to fix the arches to the body as i'm not a fan of pop rivets...these have a Ø7.5mm head so they won't nic the paint like the first time  :mmkay: i also ordered the next size up Ø4.2mm x 3/8th's incase some of the holes were too big but so far the 3.9's have worked a treat  :proud:

IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2894.jpg

IMG_2893.jpg

i also plan to keep the arches natural finish black although i may go over them with a rattle can hammerite or stone chip if all the little scratches and imperfections bug me.... Before i get shot down for not putting them back to standard body colour, i feel that with the black P chanel and rubber sill trim the red spats will look odd. the black plastic look works on my clubby (where the inspiration came from) and i think it'll look better this way. Plus there is no worries about damaging the paint when final fit comes.

Hey, if it doesn't look right i can always get them colour coded anyway.

I will admit there is another reason why no go for the W&P's, my suspension is a little low and widening the track won't go so well, here's the cause of my concern

IMG_2885.jpg

and those are tyres that are pretty near min tread depth  >_< So you can see there's no scope to go wider really and the W&P's would make the car look over arched which is my biggest pet hate in the mini scene  :X

So there we are up to date after many an hour sanding, filing and thinking (in that order >_<)

Next step os get it up the paint shop and take out the side repeaters, rear quarter windows  and headlamps.

until then, the arches will stay on so that they can stretch and will help them comply when being fitted for the last time, hopefully !

Cheers 

Rhys

#752 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 06 October 2015 - 02:11 PM

Sorry guys, i was cleaning the garage out and couldn't help myself  :shifty:

IMG_2896.jpg

#753 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts
  • Local Club: N/A

Posted 08 October 2015 - 11:40 AM

Sorry guys, i was cleaning the garage out and couldn't help myself  :shifty: IMG_2896.jpg

You need a turbo.😁

#754 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 07:54 PM

Sorry guys, i was cleaning the garage out and couldn't help myself  :shifty: IMG_2896.jpg

You need a turbo.

i know... the idea keeps cropping back up in my head but i've got so many ideas up there that not much ever becomes a reality  >_<

i've got all the essentials in the garage but i don't really want to poor loads more money into it right now... some day though, some day....

In other news, Cliff is finally in the paint shop and i should be able to collect him next week, it'll be nice to see him looking his best again  :gimme:

Rhys

#755 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:45 PM

Evening all,

After attending Bingley Hall today, i reallied that i completely forgot to update this back in October last year...

Any who, things worked out rather well after a sketchy late night rush to reassemble Cliff enough to drive him home from the body shop in the pitch black one night after work... no headlights  O_O

IMG_2956.jpg

I have to say, i'm really pleased with how it turned out. I was really unsure how well the P strips would take to the body after being super glued to the arches but it has worked a treat  :D

IMG_2958.jpg

IMG_2957.jpg

(ignore the grease weeping out the top of the sill strip, hadn't finished pressing it all out before i took this...)

Sorry for the poo pics, need a new phone as i'm still rocking an iPhone 4 (not even a 4S !)

IMG_2955.jpg

IMG_2954.jpg

It's even helped fill the gaps between the body where the pattern front wings aren't quite the right shape  :highfive:

#756 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 04:52 PM

Right then guys and gals, that is pretty much it for now that the paint work should hold up for the next few years at least.

As for the turbo motor build, it's still in the pipe line but i'd rather wait until this plucky 1030cc starts to give before i build up the tasty little 1.2 turbo - besides, i've got the Clubby S to stem my boost cravings for now.

And i have another few tricks up my sleeve yet to come but that's a project for another time...

To be continued  :shifty:

#757 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

Is your current engine standard, apart from being slightly bored out? Why not fit a kent 500 camshaft, and 'stage 3' cam4810 head.  :D  ;D

#758 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 07:41 PM

Is your current engine standard, apart from being slightly bored out? Why not fit a kent 500 camshaft, and 'stage 3' cam4810 head.  :D  ;D

It's bored out, stage 1 kit, electric ignition and a slightly worked head. EDIT: oh, and a 3.65:1 diff !

The MG 1100 engine i have in the garage has a 12G295 head, double valve springs, higher lift (marginally) pressed rocker gear and i think it has a hotter cam than normal being the MG spec (??). If i wanted, i could bung that lot on the 1030cc but it's still messing with what has so far been a faultless engine - shame the MG engine didn't come with it's twin carbs !

Edited by stretch tech, 31 January 2016 - 07:42 PM.

#759 Jakeeee1996

Jakeeee1996

Starting My Mini Up

• Noobies
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:46 PM

Hi Rhys, just read this from start to finish and I must say what a cracking job you've done on Cliff! It's also good to see a limited edition that has kept it's identity. A truly inspiring build thread!

#760 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 09:49 PM

Hi Rhys, just read this from start to finish and I must say what a cracking job you've done on Cliff! It's also good to see a limited edition that has kept it's identity. A truly inspiring build thread!

Yep. I agree. One of the tragic things about mini 'restorations' is they will inevitably be modified, often beyond recognition, which is a great shame. :shy:  

#761 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 31 January 2016 - 10:01 PM

Yep. I agree. One of the tragic things about mini 'restorations' is they will inevitably be modified, often beyond recognition, which is a great shame. :shy:  

Why thank you Jake, i never set out to please others but it is real nice to hear that after all this time people are still loving Cliff !  :proud:

The same can't be said for some people though - my neighbour gave me his 2 cents on what he thought of my cars ... a nuisance and no need for it apparently :ohno: the cheek...   

Anthony, i know what you mean, the number of LE's i see around that have had their special bits replaced with other aftermarket parts is a shame but it's people personal taste.

At least there is a few bone stock items out their ! It's not like mine is completely stock but i like to think the mods are tasteful (apart from the sub :shy:) and don't jeopardise the LE-ness...

That said, i have nothing against swapping the engines about - 30's only had a run-of-the-mill 998 and that's nothing special so mod away  :lol:

Rhys

#762 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 06:06 PM

Evening all.

went to a local meet today at Middleton Hall with a mate with a camera, here's the result...

Cliff%20Middleton%20Hall%2003.04.16%201.

Cliff%20Middleton%20Hall%2003.04.16%204.

Cliff%20Translucent%20Bonnet%201.jpg

Cliff%20Middleton%20Hall%2003.04.16%203.

Cliff%20Middleton%20Hall%2003.04.16%202.

Paint still buffs up good after 4 years on the road.

In other news, had the MOT last week, front track rod ends and wheel bearings are a little loose (although that is probably down to my driving style  :whistling: ) but other than that still looks like the day he was rebuilt  :D

Rhys

Edited by stretch tech, 03 April 2016 - 06:12 PM.

#763 Anthony30

Anthony30

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 03 April 2016 - 07:11 PM

Can't beat a mini thirty, even if it's the WRONG COLOUR! ;D  :D

#764 stretch tech

stretch tech

One Carb Or Two?