30 replies to this topic

#1 Nathan94

Nathan94

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:34 PM

Hi, I'm currently 17 and learning to drive and I'm looking at buying a car now, hoping to pass by March/April, by which time I'll be 18, but after catching up on the forums I'm saddened at seeing Footman James startin to reject people my age :(

Now I rang them a couple of months ago and got quoted £1000, I was so happy, I've been saving up for months to buy a Mini and insurance and it finally seemed possible - wrong.

Are there any alternative companies now that could offer similar prices?

Would Footman James insure me as a second driver still if I went on my Dad's policy? (I know about fronting and if I were to do this we would share the car equally, I use the car at the day and he uses at nights.

Any input welcomed :)

#2 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Local Club: None yet :(

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:43 PM

Im currently in the same position as you, I passed my test about 2.5 months ago, im 18 in early jan, trying to get a quote for me is stupid money. Trying to put me on my fathers policy with 30 years no claims it was more then me being on a policy on my own.

To put it into perspective:
a 850 mini tpft with my mom and dad in my name on is 2000
a 1275gt on my own fully comp is 2800 in my name
in my dads name with me on it 4000

Companies which deal with minis are not always the best to go for as i have experienced i rang up every single insurance company in mini magazine to get a quote on my gt all were over 6000, try insure2drive 2,600! Cheapest quote i have found for a 1275gt fully comp in my name with out parents

All i can say is ring around try other family members address' as different ares are cheaper to insure than others

Alex

#3 abe46

abe46

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Local Club: South Devon Mini Club

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:48 PM

If you want to go with Footman James, buy a mini which is at least 20 years old. They should be able to insure you then :)

#4 mini-luke

mini-luke

Postman Pat

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,362 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:48 PM

Footman told me it's 15 for a Mini when I got a quote, but knowing them they've probably changed their minds again :lol:

#5 Nathan94

Nathan94

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 10:59 PM

Just reading other threads it seems they are stopping 17 year olds having their own insurance entirely :(

With that in mind, if the car and insurance were in my parents name, would they allow a 17 year old on the insurance as a named driver?

I'd be willing to share the car with my parents to save on costs and just have a bit of fun at the weekends in a Mini, I'm just eaer to drive and my first car has to be a Mini! :)

#6 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:08 PM

As i said earlier ring around it is the best thing you can do, lie about how much you have been previously quoted, say you have been quoted around 1200 fully comp with parents on and with pass plus. It does work!
This is the only real way of finding out a descent quote.
Alex

#7 Nathan94

Nathan94

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:11 PM

As i said earlier ring around it is the best thing you can do, lie about how much you have been previously quoted, say you have been quoted around 1200 fully comp with parents on and with pass plus. It does work!
Alex

Without lying I got quoted £1100, no parents, my own policy on a 998cc Mini, about '89. I did that just out of curiousity, But apprently now they have stopped selling policies to people our age due to chavs buying banger, smashing them up and claiming and it's hurting the companies :(

#8 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:16 PM

Alex

Without lying I got quoted £1100, no parents, my own policy on a 998cc Mini, about '89. I did that just out of curiousity, But apprently now they have stopped selling policies to people our age due to chavs buying banger, smashing them up and claiming and it's hurting the companies :(

Which company was that with?

Its not usually people our age who ring up and make the claims its usually other people involved in an accident, I mean would you want to lose a years no claims and put your insurance up next year because you made a claim? I know I wouldnt'.

#9 Nathan94

Nathan94

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:18 PM

Alex

Which company was that with?

Its not usually people our age who ring up and make the claims its usually other people involved in an accident, I mean would you want to lose a years no claims and put your insurance up next year because you made a claim? I know I wouldnt'.

That's what I meant, boyracers pretty much with their careless driving :(

#10 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 26 December 2011 - 11:26 PM

You are right a friend of mine has written 3 cars off in the space of 6 months, 2 metros 1 fiesta and he has now lost his license and so has another mate but they are both different stories.
I know what young lads like this are like considering i work with them and go out with people like this lol

#11 Nathan94

Nathan94

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:26 AM

You are right a friend of mine has written 3 cars off in the space of 6 months, 2 metros 1 fiesta and he has now lost his license and so has another mate but they are both different stories.
I know what young lads like this are like considering i work with them and go out with people like this lol

I know a few people who have wrote off cars, a few of them brand spanking new due to driving too fast and being stupid and then they claim as well as the people they hit, upping premiums :(

Thing is I'm worried that if I buy a Mini now, I can't afford to insure it in April (if I buy one, I'll get one that needs a bit of work doing as I'm eager to learn mechanics)

Only can afford £1300 tops for insurance, I reckon by that time I'll need to pay double that :/

#12 1994alex

1994alex

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

You should be able to insure it, as minis are virtually the cheapest car to insure for young drivers.
ask you parents for a loan and pay them as much back at a time as possible, thats what i am planning on doing

Alex

#13 Bristol Mini

Bristol Mini

Mini Mad

• Noobies
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:36 PM

All i can say is, Insurance sucks. What you'll have to do is chin up and pay the money, it will go down alot as you get older and get more and more no claims. I have to pay 2.3k for my mini and on an apprentices wages its pretty hard.

#14 Nathan94

Nathan94

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 06:40 PM

All i can say is, Insurance sucks. What you'll have to do is chin up and pay the money, it will go down alot as you get older and get more and more no claims. I have to pay 2.3k for my mini and on an apprentices wages its pretty hard.

Who are you insured with? That seems a hell of a lot for a Mini! Or is it modified?

I'm very tempted to get my Mum or Dad to take out the policy and then add me in a few months and I'll only drive it at weekends, and let my Mum/Dad use it. It's not ideal as I won't get to drive it everyday, but it'll save me a lot of money

#15 miniman24

miniman24

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,696 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 09:59 PM

It has gone up something stupid in the last 2 or so years. To put it in perspective, I got my Mini insured June 2009, when I was 17, for £450! And it had a stage 1 kit, alloys etc, in my own name - that was Footman James. Since then its gone up £100 a year so Im paying around £650 at the moment, its annoying but theres nothing I can do about it because theyre still the cheapest by miles! Good luck with your insurance :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users