#1 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts
  • Local Club: north devon mini register

Posted 02 January 2012 - 11:27 PM

Right so i don't know if this is the right area for this but here goes.

I decided i wanted a different look than the normal piece of wood bolted between the upper and lower dash rails with the standard clocks behind so i ripped it all out. i am going for the rally look with lots of gauges (don't tell me they are pointless they are only for the looks) and switches.

So first of all i removed the old wooden dash, radio, clocks and switch panel. I then went about removing the dash rail covers, the bottom one came off very easily but the top proved a problem as others had said that it cannot be taken off without the window screen out. i avoided this by persuading it with a hammer and 19mm spanner wedged between it and the rail. sorry i have no pics of this as it was done before Xmas when i didn't have the new camera lol.

I took the switch panel and welded this into the big gap were it used to bolt to ( will take some pics of it fillered and primered) i welded up the holes on the top rail were the cover used to bolt to aswell but will be leaving the ash tray slot.

I have made the dash from a piece of aluminium sheet than i cut out by using cardboard to make a template of the gap.
here is a picture of the dash with the hole for the speedo cut out and the fixing holes drilled and grommets put in for test fitting. When all the test fitting is done i will paint in gloss black.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Then i modified a push button start switch panel to include a mk1 style key switch. might need some tips on wiring this in got a vague idea lol. i will wire this in then will have to be able to change it back for the Mot as the steering lock is required. The other switch will be wired to the heater as the area were the existing switch is will be removed to make it look more like a mk1 heater.
Posted Image
Posted Image
After this i used my new hole cutters to drill the holes for the gauges and the rev counter
Posted Image
Then i test fitted all of the guages i have so far into the dash still require a smiths time clock and a smiths voltmeter.
Posted Image
The switch panel will be bolted in the area below the gauges and a glove box will be cut out of the passenger side. The stereo will be relocated in its standard position in front of the passenger and my cb radio is going to be put under the dash on the drivers side. I still dont know weather to put speakers on the dash or not? :/ anyway thanks for looking any advice with wiring will be appreciated will update asap cheersss Ryan

#2 sabaxter

sabaxter

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 12:47 AM

Firstly, good effort. Personally I like to see people make their own dashboards. I was just wondering are you leaving it silver.....my bad I see its going gloss black, have you considered a layer of real carbon, that will look rather special in my opinion, good luck and keep updating

#3 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:03 PM

Firstly, good effort. Personally I like to see people make their own dashboards. I was just wondering are you leaving it silver.....my bad I see its going gloss black, have you considered a layer of real carbon, that will look rather special in my opinion, good luck and keep updating

thanks for commenting i have not thought about covering it at all really :/ i have black vinyl door cards i could use that aswell... i dunno UPDATE COMING SOON !

#4 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 03 January 2012 - 11:37 PM

Right today's update is mostly just more test fitting and you can see my welded in switch panel. i have been trying to get my head around all of the wiring for the indicators/ orange and red lights(i think oil pressure and alternator ?)/fuel gauge/ temp gauge but got to cold in the garage so left it. If anyone has any info on wiring TIM fuel gauges and water temp gauges please comment i need help.
Here you can see the dash fitted with the edge trim on and the switch panel
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 Ruckus

Ruckus

Ice Ice Baby!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,071 posts
  • Local Club: SMOC

Posted 04 January 2012 - 05:52 PM

Where are the speaker holes. ;)

#6 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:51 PM

i am undecided on having them or not what do you think?

#7 yeti21586

yeti21586

He's A Lumberjack And He's OK

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,714 posts
  • Name: Chris
  • Local Club: None

Posted 04 January 2012 - 10:56 PM

just found this on the bay of e

http://www.ebay.co.u...e#ht_500wt_1287
and
http://www.ebay.co.u...6#ht_500wt_1287

your dash is looking good keep it up mate, i reckon you should hide the speakers places.

YetI

#8 freshairmini

freshairmini

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,718 posts
  • Local Club: Winchester Area Mini Owners

Posted 05 January 2012 - 04:21 PM

I would imagine if you where to mount speakers to that, because it is a metal sheet you would need to have some sort of deadening backing on it to stop vibration?

Something like silent coat or edead maybe.

#9 A362 TTU

A362 TTU

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 525 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:05 PM

love the dash in its uncovered form!. i would like lots of dials in mine, only have 1275gt clocks (i think thats what they were from!)

#10 OllieTheWelder

OllieTheWelder

Super Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 05 January 2012 - 06:21 PM

I'm planning on doing a bare alloy dash like your's with a matching parcel shelf. Looks good :)

#11 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 09:17 PM

UPDATE

Been a while but managed to get some work done to the top and bottom dash rails today in the slighly better weather :)
but first we had to get the mini over the garden wall round the side of the house across the back lawn and into the Polly tunnel. reason being its much warmer and ideal for spraying.

here is a pic of the car inside the tunnel
Posted Image
Then i took the window screen out, finished the filler work on the top rail and masked up. i then primed them with high build fast drying primer and flatted it all back.
Posted Image
Then the green went on
Posted Image
Then put the clear coat on :)
Posted Image
Posted Image
Got 2 runs on the top rail but will block them out tomorrow :( and maybe re-do it depends on if they flat out ok

#12 sabaxter

sabaxter

Stage One Kit Fitted

• Noobies
  • PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 27 January 2012 - 10:38 AM

Is that a candy apple green? how are you going to get the paint of them wires? Looks good though.

#13 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:29 PM

Is that a candy apple green? how are you going to get the paint of them wires?

The car is painted in the old version on Kawasaki green there are a few different variants :). and i cant believe i left the wires like that :( i have had to scratch most of it off with a blade.

Update coming soon

#14 ryan22_lgm

ryan22_lgm

One Carb Or Two?

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,478 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 08:35 PM

UPDATE

I flatted most of the run off the top rail and am happy with how it came out so i got on with painting the dash and got it all fitted up to be ready for Bingley hall. I need to fit the voltmeter and vacume gauge and buy a clock. Decided not to fit a glove box lid in the end as it would of been a lot of work to get it the way i would want it.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Next up will be fitting the cb radio and headunit. Also need to get some speaker pods up front.

#15 redhot-mini

redhot-mini

Super Mini Mad

• Just Joined
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 537 posts
  • Local Club: North Devon Mini Register

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:04 PM

ha that looks cool the best bit is the sponge thing in the glove compartment because i put it there :D when you going 2 make my dash ay lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users