#31 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Local Club: a's of herts

Posted 11 January 2012 - 09:20 PM

hi took the drivers side brake caliper off this everning to see the exact make and size so i could get the side which is missing !!! as you can see from the pictures it is a lockheed with these serial numbers 3242-257C DA20270 i think? brake pads still had there code on which is D41/106 also noticed as shows in the photos that the brake pads have blue and yellow paint on them? what is the reason for this? these are 7" discs with the retaining pin calipers.
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#32 ace01

ace01

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Local Club: Mini Cooper Register

Posted 12 January 2012 - 03:18 PM

When I replied to your PM this morning I had not seen these photos. This is definitely the early 997 caliper. These are not easy to find although they do turn up occasionally. The pads are fairly common though! The caliper is physically the same as the later version except for the aperture where the pad goes in. Unfortunately these are the brakes that magazine reports of the time said were not very good. This has since been picked up by all and sundry to mean that all Cooper brakes were bad, which is not the case.

You could fit a pair of the later ones, they look exactly the same, come up for sale from time to time (I saw some forsale on the forum recently), and are better at stopping.

#33 oltonlad

oltonlad

Up Into Fourth

• Banned from Buying/Selling
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 20 January 2012 - 11:54 PM

heres the link to the 7" cooper brakes, its moss71 that had/has them for sale

http://www.theminifo...__fromsearch__1

it does say sold but i'm sure that he had some more.

Edited by oltonlad, 20 January 2012 - 11:57 PM.

#34 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:07 AM

took the subframe off to reveal major rust on the inside near the trumpet cones, it seems that its not worth the hassel to repair.also some studs snapped of and are still in the body any easy ways to remove them ??here are the pictures................
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#35 MiniJosh92

MiniJosh92

Camshaft & Stage Two Head

• Traders
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts

Posted 21 January 2012 - 10:11 AM

A great project you've got there! I've got a complete 7" disc setup if you're interested.

#36 dave1293gt

dave1293gt

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  • Local Club: n/a

Posted 21 January 2012 - 01:10 PM

Cracking find. Good luck with the resto.
My old man brought either an elf or hornet years ago for spares. Wasnt untill he gave it to my friend that we noticed it was down as a 997 on the log book it was an auto. This was before internet forums became popular so we could never find much info out back then.
Ah the old days where i went ford for a few years and gave up on the proper cars. Lol

#37 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

hi everone havent updated in a while but have been busy getting the mini ready for its re-spray, found a great paint place in leighton buzzard bedfordshire. had a few issues with the mini when taking the rear subframe off i found that it was rotten and beyond economical repair. also when removing two of the subframe bolts snapped not sure how to get round this.
As far as i can see the mini needs two front wings, rear and front valance, two outer sills and a few patches on both door jams.i have also been busy removing the seat covers and giving them a good wash in the bath. both front seats needs new seat straps so i am on the look out for a local (hertfordshire) upholsterer. went to bingley hall a few weeks back, great day me and my son harry bought some good parts, harry bought mainly pannels and i bought all new rubber seals to windows and doors etc, rear light lenses, grill and surround also some front indicators. so have been busy the last couple of weeks removing and prepping the subframes and ancillaries which are going to be sand blasted and powder coated this week, so i can start rebuilding them.been taking off the brightwork which i will also send off to be re chromed, will be sending the car off in the middle of april to have the body work sorted and sprayed. these are the pictures

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image this is the rotten subframe that i will be replacing Posted Image
Also went halves with my son on a engine hoist
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#38 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:37 PM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#39 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 07:50 PM

hi forgot to say in the picture of my fuel tank what is the small pipe for at the bottom as i had to cut it off because it had seized thanks

#40 spike 25

spike 25

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Local Club: Kentish Mini Club

Posted 21 February 2012 - 08:18 PM

SEE YOU'VE GOT GOT A PROBLEM WITH THE CORROSION ON THE HEAL BOARD I CUT MINE OUT MADE NEW PLATES AND ADDED STAINLESS SLEEVES WELDED IN........
A BIT OVER KILL FOR ME AS MINE WON'T SEE RAIN OR SALTY ROADS.

#41 ministar

ministar

you ate the whole wheel of cheese?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 835 posts

Posted 10 March 2012 - 01:06 AM

Any updates :thumbsup:

#42 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:14 PM

updates on mk1 miniforum heres the link :proud:
http://mk1-forum.net....php?f=6&t=5686

#43 Thorpsta

Thorpsta

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Local Club: Kings Lynn Mini Owners Club

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:34 PM

Looks amazing, I was reading this earlier and wondered why there was suddenly no updates :P It's come along alot very quick, what paint did you use on your engine?

#44 hughJ

hughJ

Soldiering Along

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:49 PM

That is one sweet little car - all the very best with it. Makes me want to cry when I see all that rust!

Hugh

#45 minimk1

minimk1

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 08:54 PM

hi thorpsta,thanks for your nice comments,the paint was bought of ebay for 10 pounds ,i painted it on with a brush very easy and great results,it was advertised as original cooper engine green,ive also seen it for sale at various shows. still have lots of issues to overcome on the rebuild as some parts were missing ,having bought some of these items im still working out what goes where and how.still all great fun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users