#1 nagrub

nagrub

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:29 PM

Hello there, long time no post I know.

I need a little help, My car isnt really working very well, and i'm no mechanic by a long shot. my car suffers from really bad pre ignition. (thats when I turn off the ignition... but the engine doesnt want to die, right?) This has'nt been much of a problem for a long time but just lately a more severe problem has raised its very ugly head.
Often when I am driving I cant accelerate as I would like, If I am in gear and I put my foot to the floor, or anywhere past about 1third/halfway down the engine completely redlines. Its like i'm flooring it in neutral, this means that I cant really accelerate in my car. When the car revs really hard like this, the power isnt going to the engine. Its tricky to get past 40-45 mph. Its strange that this doesnt happen all the time at all though, when i'm driving, its like a switch is flicked and suddenly my car is like this.

Quite often the car will stall when i'm slowing and shifting down though the gears, say, coming up to a roundabout. Occasionally its very hard to get the car in gear too.

My car needs alot of choke to get going, and it requires it for a long time. The whole choke is dodgy as hell, I use the 'old clothes peg' to keep it out.

so, what do I need to do? I need to take my car to get sorted, as i'm completely useless with this kind of stuff, but I know its gonna cost me- a whole load of money that I just dont have. I was thinking that the engine needs tuning really badly, but i'm not sure. I dont think its my throttle cable sticking or anything, as that happened before and it was a different kind of problem.

I live in Maidenhead, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any cheap places I could go near me to try and get it fixed. (huge emphasis on cheap!) The only snag is that I cant really use motorways with my car like this...

help.

[EDIT]Oh , I forgot, she's a 1983 Mini Mayfair

#2 Britishbouncer

Britishbouncer

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:55 PM

I have the exact same problem with my car. And its exactly the same age and model. I thinks its to do with the tuning of the carb, but im not sure. I need to sort mine out, but as I cant drive yet, its not essential yet. I would be interested to find out what the prblem is so that I can fix mine.

#3 Tarks

Tarks

One Carb Or Two?

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts
  • Local Club: is there a local club? lol

Posted 14 February 2006 - 06:59 PM

if your engine is reving with no output! would this not be a worn clutch ?

or ! the clutch spigot getting rusted in the clutch end case, not allowing total release of the clutch ?

I have the exact same problem with my car. And its exactly the same age and model. I thinks its to do with the tuning of the carb, but im not sure. I need to sort mine out, but as I cant drive yet, its not essential yet. I would be interested to find out what the prblem is so that I can fix mine.

#4 nagrub

nagrub

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:01 PM

What the accelerating problem, or the gears, or the choke, or the or the... sigh.

i think that all my problems might infact me linked. Like, one massive omega problem.

#5 Lomcevac

Lomcevac

Mini Mad

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 14 February 2006 - 07:26 PM

Hang in there Nagrub, an expert will be along shortly to answer your questions.
Does seem to be several seperate but fairly typical problems though. I would stick my neck out and say it sounds like you are describing a slipping clutch as the main problem, either through wear or a leaking oil seal, replacement being the cure.
Wishing you luck with getting it sorted.

#6 Dan

Dan

On Sabbatical

• TMF+ Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,354 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 12:06 AM

That's not pre ignition, it's running on. It's caused by the engine being basically pretty out of tune or very tired.

You seem to have a slipping clutch as said above and you need a good tune up at least as well as the new clutch.

Where in Maidenhead are you? There was a place called Maidenhead Mini Centre which was cheap but it wasn't great and I think it's shut now. Berkshire Mini Centre is about a 40 min drive from you and not on motorways and I'm not too far away if you really need more (cheaper) help.

#7 nagrub

nagrub

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 01:51 AM

So, in your estimation, how much is it going to cost me to tune the engine and get a new clutch (if thats the problem) I dont know if i'm lookating at £100 or £500 here.
And I'm in furze platt in maidenhead.

#8 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 09:50 AM

A new clutch kit is £60ish, plus a few hours labour. This should solve the major parts of your problems and allow you to drive it where you want to go. Without the costs of a rolling road someone can adjust the carb using the hands on approach of twiddling with a screwdriver. Not perfect, but no doubt a lot better than the current situation, you could even do it yourself with haynes manual instructions if you're daring. I would also consider, depending on its service history, putting some money aside when you can and replacing/checking things like the oil, filter, plugs, points, rotor arm, condensor, fluids....it will make you and your mini a lot happier together!

#9 nagrub

nagrub

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 11:11 AM

I just got a quote form the berkshrie mini centre to replace a clutch. £210. Also, to tune the engine prices start from £45.

are these stunningly bad prices, or are they pretty resonable?

#10 stormduck

stormduck

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:13 PM

Sounds like good prices to me. Have you checked the clutch fluid level?

#11 1984mini25

1984mini25

Crazy About Mini's

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:20 PM

Have you checked the clutch fluid level?

And try bleeding it

#12 miniboo

miniboo

Lord of Original Thinking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,327 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:37 PM

you can test for a slipping clutch by leaving the handbrake on and bringing the clutch upto biting point and if it is ok then the revs will drop and the engine will struggle.

#13 nagrub

nagrub

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 15 February 2006 - 10:37 PM

I'l try it tommorow morning.

#14 nagrub

nagrub

On The Road

• Noobies
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:41 AM

Just checked the fluid levels and did that test that was mentioned. Both were fine...

#15 chocolate jazz

chocolate jazz

Speeding Along Now

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts

Posted 16 February 2006 - 10:57 AM

Just checked the fluid levels and did that test that was mentioned. Both were fine...

hmmm weird! :crazy: i would get the car tunned and setup properly first see how she runs then, and if its still doing the same problem then change the clutch on it. There's no point in geting a new clutch fitted if its not the clutch in the first place. good luck with sorting the problem anyways :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users